You are not logged in.

#1 2020-09-12 13:19:34

nogo10
Member
From: Canada
Registered: 2020-09-07
Posts: 9

Automatic mount at boot with USB key

Im a new user and need to mount a partition on my usb key (the one I boot from ) everytime I boot. Right now I have to do that manually whenever I boot up:

sudo mount -t vfat /dev/sdb1 /mnt/external

What is the best way to have my partition mount automatically at login? Any help would be appreciated.

Offline

#2 2020-09-12 14:15:16

damo
....moderator....
Registered: 2015-08-20
Posts: 6,271

Re: Automatic mount at boot with USB key

Add the entry in /etc/fstab, after getting the UUID using sudo blkid.

Here is an example from my fstab:

# /var on /dev/sdb3
UUID=d3769abc-e40f-4d36-a596-9c69629e7211 /var  ext4	defaults	0	2

Yours would be something like...

UUID=XXX....XXX /mnt/external	vfat	defaults	0	2

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

Offline

#3 2020-09-12 15:22:02

rbh
Member
From: Sweden/Vasterbotten/Rusfors
Registered: 2016-08-11
Posts: 661

Re: Automatic mount at boot with USB key

nogo10 wrote:

Im a new user and need to mount a partition on my usb key (the one I boot from )

If you have you installed BL to your usb-key, damos answer is correct. If you have writen the BL-iso to the usb-key and boot a live session, things are a little more complicated.


// Regards rbh

Offline

#4 2020-09-12 22:52:50

nogo10
Member
From: Canada
Registered: 2020-09-07
Posts: 9

Re: Automatic mount at boot with USB key

rbh wrote:
nogo10 wrote:

Im a new user and need to mount a partition on my usb key (the one I boot from )

If you have you installed BL to your usb-key, damos answer is correct. If you have writen the BL-iso to the usb-key and boot a live session, things are a little more complicated.


Actually, I did use Rufus to prepare a usb key with the BL ISO with 3gb of persistence, all FAT32, and no partitions. When I boot I have data on the key that is not mounted.

Offline

#5 2020-09-13 03:50:11

nogo10
Member
From: Canada
Registered: 2020-09-07
Posts: 9

Re: Automatic mount at boot with USB key

damo wrote:

Add the entry in /etc/fstab, after getting the UUID using sudo blkid.

Here is an example from my fstab:

# /var on /dev/sdb3
UUID=d3769abc-e40f-4d36-a596-9c69629e7211 /var  ext4	defaults	0	2

Yours would be something like...

UUID=XXX....XXX /mnt/external	vfat	defaults	0	2

This worked fine with persistent USB live .. mounts my partition on boot up. [SOLVED]

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB