You are not logged in.

#1 2020-08-16 17:06:14

schwim
Website

Would Tapatalk integration be considered?

Hi there guys!

Just wondering in regards to title. It would be something I'd love to make it easier to be part of the community. I've implemented it on a few forums and others seem to appreciate it as well.

Sorry if it's already been discussed.

Thanks!

Schw.im! A social site with an identity crisis.

#2 2020-08-16 17:36:29

unklar

Re: Would Tapatalk integration be considered?

^I am against the use of tapatalk in the forum.

It is already known since 2015 to read the data of the forum users. This was discovered by the admins of the HardwareLuxx forum.
If you don't mind, then translate the links with a suitable translator.  wink

https://www.heise.de/security/meldung/T … 16662.html
https://www.giga.de/ratgeber/tipps/tapa … tenschutz/
https://www.igorslab.de/warum-wir-tapat … community/

#3 2020-08-16 18:23:40

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

I certainly would not want tapatalk here.

A short list:
1. - Any Tapatalk users?
2. - A question of privacy <-- tapatalk support group no less.
3. - Did you know Tapatalk tracks all your link clicks and there is no way to opt-out?
4. - Tapatalk Is Going Away <- from the Forum Administrator.

The sun will never set if you keep walking towards it. - my son
Being positive doesn't understand physics.

#4 2020-08-16 18:58:05

hhh
Meep!
Website

The forum decisions are, more or less and with some input, made by our superb forum and website creator and maintainer @twoion.

My guess is that he has several reasons for not using that addition.

#5 2020-08-16 20:08:08

schwim
Website

Thanks everyone for the reply, I assumed it would be met with opposition from this particular type of gathering but mom always said you don't know if you don't ask.  I'll keep the forum on an as-needed basis and it's a win-win for all involved smile

Thanks!

#6 2020-08-16 20:29:48

twoion
ほやほや

schwim wrote:

Hi there guys!

Just wondering in regards to title. It would be something I'd love to make it easier to be part of the community. I've implemented it on a few forums and others seem to appreciate it as well.

Sorry if it's already been discussed.

Thanks!

There is a tapatalk plugin floating around, from 2014, unchanged, probably next to zero users. I'm very hesitant to include abandonware in the already aging FluxBB code base, I'd have to review it in full for which there's little time. We already have one huge mod running, the PM system, which has made it impossible to merge naby of the few improvements from FluxBB upstream without a rebase (=review every change). Furthermore, as soon PHP7.4 support has been merged into FluxBB, we'll move to PHP7.4, which has breaking changes (mostly deprecations) when compared to earlier versions, and I'm not going to rewrite the tapatalk PHP source -- this is the biggest problem in adopting huge foreign mods, besides the security and operations risk. Add to that the issues of the company collecting data, for example the Users list (visible only to logged in users), and it's a no-starter.

Because FluxBB is slowing down we'll likely have to move to a different forum software later anyway (I think by end of 2021 sounds alright), but that's another project.

So due to the complexity of the request, I'm unable to offer what you're looking for smile

Per aspera ad astra.

#7 2020-08-16 20:36:01

schwim
Website

twoion wrote:

I'm unable to offer what you're looking for smile

all good!

#8 2020-08-17 06:22:04

ohnonot
...again
Website

schwim wrote:

I've implemented it on a few forums

How exactly did you do that?
AFAIR it requires certain CSS classes to be present in the page source.

As for tapatalk itself, I remember having exactly the same concerns as S11 a few years back.
The only forum I used that implemented it has since gone bust (which speaks for itself), but I still remember that the posts written with Tapatalk (it adds a little signature) were generally of inferior quality.

BL quote proposals to this thread please.
my repos / my repos
---
Thank you for posting direct image links!

#9 2020-08-17 13:46:53

schwim
Website

I just installed it on some forums that I run.  The modifications required were made.  None of the forums that I installed it on have gone tits up yet, although one was sold(maybe because of Tapatalk integration ; ) )

The signature can be turned off or modified(same as the forum itself) and I've seen great and terrible posts made through the system(again, same as the forum itself).

#10 2020-08-18 02:34:40

DeepDayze
Like sands through an hourglass...

I agree with @twoion and others as tapatalk is also deemed to be a security risk and for a forum like this one that's running on old software that would be a real bad situation. Maybe when the forum software's been updated then Tapatalk may be revisited.

The forum looks fine on my mobile devices so I have no need for tapatalk either.

@twoion why not look at Simple Machines Forum,  phpbb or even Xenforo (I know its paid software but a bit cheaper than vBulletin which has its own warts).

Last edited by DeepDayze (2020-08-18 02:37:59)

Real Men Use Linux

#11 2020-08-18 03:31:09

cog
Developer
Website

If a reboot were to happen as @twoion mentioned,  I’d be one to vote for discourse.  I’ve really enjoyed the way ArchLabs and FVWM forums use it.

The worst day of fishing is better than the best day at work.

Board footer