You are not logged in.

#1 2020-08-07 13:53:50

kawika

How to install Lithium with USB stick

I tried to install Lithium and the usb stick won't install because it thinks its a CDrom. Why does this happens? Can't install Busenlabs.

Does anyone know how to install via USB stick?

#2 2020-08-07 14:31:59

damo
....moderator....

Re: How to install Lithium with USB stick

Did you follow the instructions on the website, regarding writing the iso to a usb drive?
Installing from a live ISO image (CD/DVD/USB key)

What is the exact error message you got?

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#3 2020-08-07 16:49:08

rbh

kawika wrote:

I tried to install Lithium and the usb stick won't install because it thinks its a CDrom. Why does this happens?

If you follow the installation instruktions from https://www.bunsenlabs.org/installation.html
and then check the filesystem on the usb stick, you will se that it's an ISO 9660, as used on optical discs. The stick does not think itself to be something else, but the Debian installer checks for the presence of ISO 9660 filesystem and the integrity of the image.

Can't install Busenlabs. Does anyone know how to install via USB stick?

Quite common misstake for new users from windows or Ubuntu to use tools like Unetbootin to write the iso hybrid image to usb media. Unetbootin and some other tools change the installmedia in a way debian installer do not accept.

Use "cp" or "dd".

Last edited by rbh (2020-08-07 16:49:49)

// Regards rbh

#4 2020-08-07 17:56:39

jeffreyC

If you need to use a tool to make a live USB in Windows I recommend Rufus over any other.

If Windows is all you have to work with then Linux tools are usually not available.

#5 2020-08-07 18:57:14

rbh

jeffreyC wrote:

If you need to use a tool to make a live USB in Windows I recommend Rufus over any other.

We link to debian page: https://www.debian.org/CD/faq/#record-windows. Rufus is not among those tools listed. But, yes, Rufus use to works well with writing Debian iso image to usb-drive.

If Windows is all you have to work with then Linux tools are usually not available.

But not far away.
Microsoft's Windows Subsystem for Linux, is easy to install and do not take much disk space. Cygwin has been around for 25 years. Take a little more space, if you want to run X-applications also.
And, coLinux, is still going strong And of cource, there is Virtualbox and Qemu...

Edit: Sorry, rememberd wrong. coLinux is outdated, should not be used any more.

Last edited by rbh (2020-08-07 19:05:01)

// Regards rbh

#6 2020-08-07 19:40:51

DeepDayze
Like sands through an hourglass...

rbh wrote:
jeffreyC wrote:

We link to debian page: https://www.debian.org/CD/faq/#record-windows. Rufus is not among those tools listed. But, yes, Rufus use to works well with writing Debian iso image to usb-drive.

But not far away.
Microsoft's Windows Subsystem for Linux, is easy to install and do not take much disk space. Cygwin has been around for 25 years. Take a little more space, if you want to run X-applications also.
And, coLinux, is still going strong And of cource, there is Virtualbox and Qemu...

I used Rufus on a Win7 and a Win10 system to create a USB stick for booting Debian and it worked for me. Maybe on a few systems USB sticks that were imaged using Rufus might not boot properly, most likely due to some subtle BIOS bugs.

Last edited by DeepDayze (2020-08-07 19:41:46)

Real Men Use Linux

#7 2020-08-07 20:25:27

hhh
Meep!
Website

A note, do not use Unetbootin on Windows, in my experience it will usually fail. Rufus is a good alternative.

#8 2020-08-07 20:33:27

hhh
Meep!
Website

For tranferring an image to USB on a linux system, a simple cp command is the way to go. Assuming you've downloaded one of our images to ~/Downloads and that it is the only ISO in that folder, and that you are installing to a USB drive named /dev/sdb1 (check via GParted)...

cd Downloads
sudo cp *.iso /dev/sdb;sync

When the terminal prompt reappears, the transfer is complete.

Note, end the drive location in the command with the letter (b,c, or whatever it is), not with the following number.

#9 2020-08-07 23:44:55

jeffreyC

rbh wrote:
jeffreyC wrote:

But not far away.

If you want to keep Windows as a dual boot I could see installing something like that, I want to overwrite and eliminate it not become more involved with it.

After I bought my latest used laptop I learned that OEM Windows is now single language, I bought it from a Chinese college student. I do not like Windows 10 enough to spend $120+ to get it in English.

#10 2020-08-07 23:49:27

johnraff
nullglob
Website

hhh wrote:

Assuming... that you are installing to a USB drive named /dev/sdb1 (check via GParted)

Just for emphasis - be very very sure you've got the drive name right for the usb stick. (Another check is 'sudo fdisk -l'.)

If you use the wrong /dev/sd<something> you might write to your main hard disk and destroy your operating system!  yikes
(This applies whatever tool you use to write to the usb stick.)

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#11 2020-08-08 21:35:54

kawika

I use Etcher. I've installed 20 distros and never had this problem. Its better to just burn on a dvd instead. Or use another openbox distro that doesn't have this problem.

I've used busenlabs in the past and I must have used a dvd because of this.

#12 2020-08-08 21:53:48

hhh
Meep!
Website

johnraff wrote:
hhh wrote:

Assuming... that you are installing to a USB drive named /dev/sdb1 (check via GParted)

Just for emphasis - be very very sure you've got the drive name right for the usb stick. (Another check is 'sudo fdisk -l'.)

If you use the wrong /dev/sd<something> you might write to your main hard disk and destroy your operating system!  yikes
(This applies whatever tool you use to write to the usb stick.)

+1, don't overwrite/erase your hard drive!

#13 2020-08-09 02:42:14

DeepDayze
Like sands through an hourglass...

hhh wrote:

A note, do not use Unetbootin on Windows, in my experience it will usually fail. Rufus is a good alternative.

It's the *Buntu crowd that pushes Unetbootin. Very few distros recommend it for their images.

Real Men Use Linux

#14 2020-08-28 16:51:03

sadpanda

My work computer is Windows 10, so i wanted to make a USB from the latest iso and had to deal with that.

I tried Win32DiskImager as recommended by Debian, Rufus, and Etcher, and they all seemed to Kernel panic just after the main menu screen. I tried to do an install right from there and also tried to login to live but all gave the same error. So i burned the sio to a dvd and that worked fine. I had to dig out my usb blu-ray burner since my thinkpad doesnt have a drive. I have never seen that before but i finally got it installed via DVD. I didnt try Unetbootin so i am not sure if that works but i dont like how it rewrites the menu entries and changes the boot process. DVD FTW!

--Nick

#15 2020-08-28 19:25:45

rbh

I have just booted to win10, copied 64bit iso to usb-stick, with the Win32DiskImager, booted the usb and started the installer.

So, it works, if the iso is downloaded correct. If it is corrupt, it wont be possible to boot.

Did you  verify the integrity of the iso-file before writing to usb? If yes, your usb-stick must be faulty. By a new one.

// Regards rbh

#16 2020-08-28 21:56:07

hhh
Meep!
Website

BTW, you don't need to verify the checksum if you use a torrent link. Torrents have their own file check (unless you don't trust the source) and don't get corrupted if the download is interrupted.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/355 … afterwards.

#17 2020-08-31 13:20:12

GalacticStone
Website

Hi Gang,

I tried the Startup Disk Creator in Ubuntu - didn't work.

Tried UNetBootin - didn't work.

Tried Rufus - didn't work.

Tried Etcher - didn't work.

I guess I will try the command line next.

Lenovo Ideapad Laptop (81CW) - Linux User #624832
Pentium CPU 4415U (2.30GHz x4), 4G RAM
Intel HD Graphics 610 Kabylake GT1 (1366x768, 14" LCD)
Western Digital 500g HDD, Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS

#18 2020-08-31 13:51:18

damo
....moderator....

Have you tried a different usb stick?

#19 2020-08-31 15:03:33

rbh

GalacticStone wrote:

And why save the recomended method last?

// Regards rbh

#20 2020-08-31 15:12:04

GalacticStone
Website

rbh wrote:
GalacticStone wrote:

And why save the recomended method last?

While I am somewhat comfortable with the command line, I am a little bit apprehensive because one brain fart and I could wipe my HDD. I am prone to brain farts, like putting the wrong path. I will just triple-check the syntax before hitting enter.  smile

Edit : Ok, I copied the .iso files over to the USB stick using the command line -

sudo cp /home/galactic/Documents/GALACTIC/UBUNTU/lithium-1-amd64.hybrid.iso /dev/sdb;sync

That worked. But now I can't get the USB stick to boot.  sad

Tried normal restart boot, cold off then back on, and holding left shift to access GRUB when everything else failed and still no luck.

Last edited by GalacticStone (2020-08-31 15:44:49)

#21 2020-08-31 16:52:39

damo
....moderator....

Haven't you set the boot order in the BIOS yet? The keys to access that will be specific to your hardware (often it is F2).

#22 2020-08-31 19:13:48

GalacticStone
Website

damo wrote:

Haven't you set the boot order in the BIOS yet? The keys to access that will be specific to your hardware (often it is F2).

For some reason, I cannot access BIOS. I know I have done it before, but it's been a long time and that was prior to the Ubuntu 18.04 install.

I tried using all the methods mentioned on the web for Lenovo laptops - Fn + F2, or F2, and nothing works. I tried it before, during, and just after the Lenovo power-up screen comes up. It just goes right through it to the Ubuntu log-in process.

Hitting ESC during the process will bring up GRUB, but I cannot get into the BIOS.

Am I missing something obvious and just being dense?

#23 2020-08-31 20:28:00

damo
....moderator....

^ Whatever you do, you need to change the boot order, else it will keep booting to the main drive.

#24 2020-08-31 21:58:25

rbh

GalacticStone wrote:

Am I missing something obvious and just being dense?

You should press Fn + F2 repetedly direct after turning on power.

If you wait, boot goes to the harddisk.

// Regards rbh

#25 2020-09-01 04:42:15

rbh

To temporarily change boot device. you can access the boot manager with keys Fn + F12.

// Regards rbh

Board footer