You are not logged in.

#1 2020-07-21 21:02:50

kozimodo

[RESOLVED] modemmanager

How many Bunsenlabs users use mobile broadband on their laptops?  I ask because I encountered a strange problem with uploading games to an Arduboy recently and was mystified -- I had never had problems uploading games before.  Someone on the Arduboy forums suggested I uninstall modemmanager because it randomly probes for modems and interferes with the upload process.  That worked.

My guess is that there are not many mobile broadband users but of course that is just an evidence free guess.

-mod edit by hhh- Added [RESOLVED] to thread title.

#2 2020-07-21 21:22:32

ohnonot
...again
Website

Re: [RESOLVED] modemmanager

My thinkpad has a WWAN chip and it works as expected, with networkmanager & modemmanager.
I have no idea what an arduboy is.
What is it and how are you connecting it?
Maybe modemmanager thinks it's a dongle?
It should be possible to add an exception, so you can continue using modemmanager. Maybe a udev rule. But need more information first.

BL quote proposals to this thread please.
my repos / my repos

#3 2020-07-21 22:12:57

kozimodo

It is an Arduino based mini game for which you can upload small arcade games and one customizes its firmware via USB using the arduino software.  Nice little toy for kids (and adults).

#4 2020-07-22 09:08:10

ohnonot
...again
Website

Do you actually rely on modemmanager, i.e. do you use a dongle or mobile broadband chip?
If not, remove modemmanager, be done with it.
FWIW, I don't think it's modemmanager itself but one of its optional dependencies (*), usb_modeswitch? Have you tried uninstalling just that?

(*) translates to "install recommends" in Debian-speak.

If you want to seriously pursue this, what exactly is the nature of this "strange problem", backed with some logs & output?

my repos / my repos

#5 2020-07-22 13:16:36

kozimodo

No, I don't use it at all.  Uninstalling modemmanager itself did the trick.  It does look like it is a modemmanager issue rather than a usb-modeswitch issue.

Rather than looking for a solution (the solution was suggested to me elsewhere), I was wondering about its user base and whether it should be in a base install.  I don't have any experience with Arduino other than through an Arduboy but if they are also accessed via USB, then this could be a frequent problem for Lithium users -- I did not experience this with either Helium or Hydrogen.  It sounds like it could potentially be a problem for people accessing devices via USB-serial cables, I haven't tried since installing Lithium (my cable is hidden somewhere in a random box).

#6 2020-07-22 15:29:16

ohnonot
...again
Website

kozimodo wrote:

It does look like it is a modemmanager issue rather than a usb-modeswitch issue.

Fixable with a udev rule. Nice.
I'm a little unsure about the point of you starting a topic for that if it doesn't affect you anyhow.
ALso, Bunsenlabs is not involved in the development of ModemManager at all.
People who use Arduino-based game consoles can probably come up with a solution/workaround - as you did.

If you want, you should open a bug report against ModemManger upstream. Or udev. They might be quite happy to hear about it; if the Vendor ID is unique it's a simple fix.

my repos / my repos

#7 2020-07-23 17:46:17

kozimodo

Yes, that makes sense.  I had been wondering whether modemmanager should be part of Lithium but it looks like my use case is pretty unusual so never mind.

#8 2020-07-24 09:25:45

ohnonot
...again
Website

On my Archlinux machine modemmanager is at version 1.14.0 and the issue appears fixed.
Have a look under the keyword Arduino inside the files /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/77-mm-usb-*
On my system, both vendorIDs are present, but the environment variables are different.

If the same fixes are there in your version, then you are correct to apply a broader/different fix, and a bug report against MM upstream is prudent.
If they aren't, you could try applying those exactly as they are in the newer version and see if that helps. too.

So I'd hold off the bug report before this is clarified.

BTW, I correct myself:

ohnonot wrote:

People who use Arduino-based game consoles are probably versed enough to come up with a solution/workaround - as you did.

my repos / my repos

Board footer