You are not logged in.

#1 2020-07-12 04:12:37

jdonaghy
The Manatee Whisperer

Question regarding screen replacement on Inspiron 5593

A couple months ago, I bought myself a new laptop for $1000. Before the week was out, I had accidentally rolled over on it and destroyed the screen. So I bought a replacement from LaptopScreens, I believe. The part I needed was initially out of stock, but it suddenly became available a few days later and I ordered it, received it, and installed it. Now you can call me an idiot, but I have once again broken the screen on my Dell. And the LCD touch panel is not in stock on their site, at the moment. And they apparently have no idea when or if it will be.
My question is, do I have to order a part that matches my exact model? Or is there a little leeway? I need to replace the display cable as well. What I'm replacing is an embedded touch panel (I'm going to need a new display cable as well), but does that necessarily mean that I need to replace it with the same? Could a 30 pin non-touch possibly work instead? How specific do I have to be?

#2 2020-07-12 07:25:28

eight.bit.al

Re: Question regarding screen replacement on Inspiron 5593

I would think to answer that, one would need to know the model number to do a little research.

8bit

Computers don't grow, they accumulate.

#3 2020-07-12 08:56:40

ohnonot
...again
Website

jdonaghy wrote:

My question is, do I have to order a part that matches my exact model? Or is there a little leeway? I need to replace the display cable as well. What I'm replacing is an embedded touch panel (I'm going to need a new display cable as well), but does that necessarily mean that I need to replace it with the same? Could a 30 pin non-touch possibly work instead? How specific do I have to be?

This is device/model specific and nothing where a "rule of thumb" applies.
One thing however: when you search for a replacement, search for a replacement of the actual part (number), not the laptop model.
I once replaced a laptop screen and was lucky enough that another laptop's screen was the same part, and fit. But that was long ago, laptops were simpler then.
Some people even sell used parts from broken machines; of course one needs to be very careful there, but might also save a lot of money.

BL quote proposals to this thread please.
how to ask smart questions | my repos / my repos | my blog
---
Thank you for posting direct image links!

#4 2020-07-12 18:52:17

DeepDayze
Like sands through an hourglass...

It is highly recommended to replace the cable with the exact one for your model. Perhaps the maker's site will have support links where you can get the replacement cable(s) and touch screen for your model.

Also invest in a heavily padded carry bag or sleeve for your laptop. I've had dropped many a laptop bag in an airport or hotel...and the bag saved it from terrible damage.

In one case I bought a laptop from a seller on ebay, and he had a fire in his house and the laptop suffered severe heat damage. As I already paid for the laptop seller offered to give me a partial refund and still sent me the laptop. All it needed was new lid, screen and keyboard. Hard drive still booted. I found all the replacement parts on ebay as the maker's site the parts were expensive. Took google searches and ebay searches on part numbers is how I found all the parts needed for less money.

Last edited by DeepDayze (2020-07-12 18:55:24)

Real Men Use Linux

Board footer