You are not logged in.

#1 2020-07-09 13:58:16

diptenkrom

is there a roadmap for lithium

Hi all!

I have distro hopped a bunch, but I was a regular #! user before Bunsen. Have used hydrogen and Helium (a bit). I used to use #!, in liveboot, in computer repair work as a data recovery and disk management tool. I have an older dual core X64 AMD netbook that I have been testing Lithium on for a little while. It seems to run stable, and works very well. I am most commonly on Debian OSes and really like Lithium for this machine. I do also use MX-19 on another laptop (core i3, 16gb), but it is too heavy to comfortably run on this one. I think that every distro has its place. Not to say that Bunsenlabs can't do stuff on bigger hardware, but it is perfect for the older stuff.

My main questions are - Is there a Roadmap for lithium official? or a projected ETA for full release? are there things that are still being added, or is this just hammering bugs out at this point.

#2 2020-07-09 18:30:33

dolly
Miss Mixunderstand

Re: is there a roadmap for lithium

Keep BunsenLabs #!yish please.

#3 2020-07-09 20:55:11

hhh
Meep!
Website

diptenkrom wrote:

My main questions are - Is there a Roadmap for lithium official? or a projected ETA for full release? are there things that are still being added, or is this just hammering bugs out at this point.

Thanks for trying BunsenLabs!

If you've been using the latest lithium RC that has the following in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/bunsen.list...

deb https://pkg.bunsenlabs.org/debian lithium main

... then you are already using our upcoming release, as all new changes are added to your system when you run 'sudo apt update'.

If you installed an earlier lithium build that has this in bunsen.list...

deb https://kelaino.bunsenlabs.org/~johnraff/debian lithium main

... then just switch that to the newer source and update. There is no need to re-install the upcoming "Official" release (which is getting really close to being finished).

Short term roadmap to the release...

• Finish tweaking the 32 bit non-PAE, CD-sized image

• Finish the Release Notes

• Final build of the 64 bit image

• Release

#4 2020-07-10 11:07:59

ohnonot
...again
Website

I can testify that the dev team took their sweet time making the Helium RC into an actual release while I'd already been using it for months without a glitch.
Most distro maintainers would've released much, much earlier.
So, plus one for BL in general!

BL quote proposals to this thread please.
how to ask smart questions | my repos / my repos | my blog
---
Thank you for posting direct image links!

#5 2020-07-10 13:44:15

DeepDayze
Like sands through an hourglass...

ohnonot wrote:

I can testify that the dev team took their sweet time making the Helium RC into an actual release while I'd already been using it for months without a glitch.
Most distro maintainers would've released much, much earlier.
So, plus one for BL in general!

You mean Lithium...that's one continuous RC that keeps on going, LOL.

Lithium in its present state is pretty darn solid I gotta say. smile

Real Men Use Linux

#6 2020-07-11 09:25:26

ohnonot
...again
Website

^ no, I meant Helium (or whatever the one before Lithium was called).
Just wanted to say that the lack of an actual release is likely a sign of quality (but also hesitation).

---

#7 2020-07-11 15:00:06

damo
....moderator....

ohnonot wrote:

^ no, I meant Helium (or whatever the one before Lithium was called).
Just wanted to say that the lack of an actual release is likely a sign of quality (but also hesitation).

Not hesitation, but Real Life getting in the way. Also, one of the reasons for delay this time is getting to a condition where the next release (Beryllium) should be much easier and quicker.

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#8 2020-07-12 02:51:15

johnraff
nullglob
Website

^this smile

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#9 2020-07-12 09:05:43

jimjamz

damo wrote:

one of the reasons for delay this time is getting to a condition where the next release (Beryllium) should be much easier and quicker.

What work was done to make future releases more frequent?  I'm curious and interested about any work that goes into making the release cycle more agile going forwards.

#10 2020-07-12 18:15:01

hhh
Meep!
Website

jimjamz wrote:

What work was done to make future releases more frequent?  I'm curious and interested about any work that goes into making the release cycle more agile going forwards.

Not more frequent, but sooner after the release of the next Debian stable release (Bullseye).

Helium took so long to be "Officially" released after Debian Stretch (about a year) because most of the Team had in-real-life issues taking priority over volunteering time to BL.

Lithium is taking so long to be "Officially" released after Debian Jessie (also about a year) because at about the time of Jessie's soft-freeze (around the New Year, if I recall correctly) we had a bunch of ideas all at the same time that we wanted to incorporate, such as replacing the Openbox right-click menu with malm's jgmenu, having a BL session independent of the stock Debian one, having notifications when new changes to the BL configs in /usr/share/bunsen/skel happen and an option to automatically overwrite those files to $HOME, etc...

The changes in this version are aimed at making the BL-Openbox session closer to a complete Desktop Environment OOTB. It makes sense to us to get the bulk of this work done before officially releasing Lithium, instead of having radical changes occur after the release. A quick example, we didn't want to release and then one day someone who has installed BL for the first time and doesn't follow our development here on the forums updates their system and the Openbox menu has been replaced with jgmenu. yikes

#11 2020-07-13 07:10:29

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Adding to the above, many of our recent changes are meant to make things more modular and tweakable, and less dependent on specific hardware (eg working on other window managers than Openbox). We hope this will make it easier to adapt to future changes in the Debian base. Unless Debian Bullseye brings something cataclysmic, moving to BL Beryllium ought not to be too complicated.

OTOH the things that trip up small projects like this are when utilities we use cease to be maintained. Fingers crossed.

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#12 2020-07-14 01:33:49

diptenkrom

All this sounds actually encouraging. Slow releases are a good thing asl long as they are not too slow, lol.

It would be better to have a solid system in the end! thanks for all the info into the thought process there!

#13 2020-07-15 14:03:04

ohnonot
...again
Website

Trenton wrote:

https://www.slax.org
http://xlunch.org

I'm surprised that you don't use the xlunch desktop that slax uses , lower footprint and resources and there is no need for development , just change it too bunsenlabs colour scheme?

Not everybody likes what you like.
Openbox offers (almost) everything I want in a beautiful, clean & minimalistic desktop.
You are always free to use slax. Or just install xlunch yourself.

---

Board footer