You are not logged in.

#1 2020-07-02 17:51:57

deanr72

Infuriating Tint2 file(s) location(s)

Isn't it infuriating that there are two completely separate locations for Tint2 config files? When you edit a Tint2 in the GUI, it saves it in a location which isn't then accessible by the Tint2 chooser; which in turn means that you can't edit a Tint2 layout from the Tint2 chooser in the Tint2 GUI.

I know this is not a 'bug' as such but it does seem to be an oversight. I've just played around with the latest Lithium iso and it's exactly the same there. Grrr.

*I think it's the same with Conky too if I recall correctly.

Last edited by deanr72 (2020-07-02 17:52:55)

#2 2020-07-02 18:36:03

rbh

Re: Infuriating Tint2 file(s) location(s)

deanr72 wrote:

Isn't it infuriating that there are two completely separate locations for Tint2 config files?

Nope. when I start tint2conf. it loads configfiles from three different locations:

~/.config/tint2
/etc/xdg/tint2
/usr/share/tint2

Yes, BL Tint2 Manager, only manages config files in directory ~/.config/tint2 and subdirectorys.

But, it is quite common that you have to copy configfiles from /etc* or /usr* to your $HOME.

// Regards rbh

#3 2020-07-02 19:07:27

damo
....moderator....

deanr72 wrote:

...When you edit a Tint2 in the GUI, it saves it in a location which isn't then accessible by the Tint2 chooser....

Example paths please?

Both bl-tint2edit and bl-tint2-manager have

#    Tint2 config files must be in $TINT2PATH

TINT2PATH="$HOME/.config/tint2"

tint2conf loads all my files from ~/.config/tint2

Tint2 creates an example configuration in /etc/xdg/tint2/tint2rc, and the shipped configs are in /usr/share/tint2

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#4 2020-07-03 05:20:48

deanr72

damo wrote:

Tint2 creates an example configuration in /etc/xdg/tint2/tint2rc, and the shipped configs are in /usr/share/tint2

I'm not sure I could describe the paths as per your request but I'm guessing it's exactly as you and @damo say here: config files are in 3 different locations so the different GUIs read different files.

Now I have an idea of where they are, sure I can copy and paste them. You both seem to be aware of the issue without seeing it as a problem / inconvenience. So I guess I'll just have to live with it...unless there is a simple solution to have all the GUIs search for and save in one location.

Last edited by deanr72 (2020-07-03 05:22:04)

#5 2020-07-03 07:16:12

ohnonot
...again
Website

deanr72 wrote:

I'm not sure I could describe the paths as per your request

Why not???

rbh wrote:
~/.config/tint2
/etc/xdg/tint2
/usr/share/tint2

If this is what you're talking about then I have to say: it might be infuriating, but it's pretty much the way it's done for most software across most GNU/Linux distributions. Definitely not a BL thing, or an "oversight".

At first I thought you were talking about some BL configuration manager.

BL quote proposals to this thread please.
how to ask smart questions | my repos / my repos | my blog
---
Thank you for posting direct image links!

#6 2020-07-03 07:27:48

rbh

deanr72 wrote:

I'm not sure I could describe the paths as per your request but I'm guessing it's exactly as you and @damo say here: config files are in 3 different locations so the different GUIs read different files.

Tint2conf, list the config file-name to the left in the window. Under the filename is the path. To the right, you have a preview ot the result of applying that configfile.

If I higlight /etc/xdg/tint2/tint2rc, I get info how to apply that configfile. High in the window, there is now the text "tint2 -c /etc/xdg/tint2/tint2rc", after the information: "Command to run tint2".

Now I have an idea of where they are, sure I can copy and paste them. You both seem to be aware of the issue without seeing it as a problem / inconvenience. So I guess I'll just have to live with it...unless there is a simple solution to have all the GUIs search for and save in one location.

Standarduser do not have right to edit files under /etc/* and /usr/*. If you in tint2.conf, se a configfile you want to modify, you can save it to your ~/.config/tint2 (menu Theme => Save as) and then edit it.
You should get your directory ~/.config/tint2 as default location to save. If you want to keep original name and dont't want to overwrite existing configfile, create a subfolder.

// Regards rbh

#7 2020-07-03 10:42:06

deanr72

Thanks for all the responses so far. I'll have to play around it over the weekend. If this is the way things are done, then that's the way things are done. I do appreciate the help and am willing, time permitting, to put in the effort.

@ohnonot: Why can't I describe the paths? I'm not really sure how to or what is expected from such a request, tbh. Would you be expecting something like: ~/.config/tint2? Wouldn't my paths be exactly the same as those posted by @rbh?

Anyway, as I said, thanks and I'll get back if I have further issues.

P.S. Despite being very much a GUI user, I know how to open Thunar as root on KDE so copying and pasting config files from one location to another shouldn't be too tricky, I hope.

#8 2020-07-04 08:01:57

ohnonot
...again
Website

deanr72 wrote:

Despite being very much a GUI user, I know how to open Thunar as root on KDE so copying and pasting config files from one location to another shouldn't be too tricky, I hope.

That opens another can of worms: if you want to copy files from a root to a non-root location, don't be root. Because of the ownership of the resulting file.
And what's KDE got to do with anything?

BL quote proposals to this thread please.
how to ask smart questions | my repos / my repos | my blog
---
Thank you for posting direct image links!

#9 2020-07-05 02:36:16

johnraff
nullglob
Website

I'm glad this topic has just come up.
By coincidence, I was playing with tint2conf just yesterday, for the first time for a couple of years maybe. I couldn't get any use out of it at all, and was just about to post here, suggesting that we drop it from the menu! mad

damo wrote:

On the 32bit laptop I was testing on, and also a 64bit VM just now, tint2conf is displaying a bunch of built-in files in /usr and /etc, and only ~/.config/tint2/tint2rc fropm my own directory.

I just tried renaming files, and found that only tint2 files whose name ends in tint2rc are displayed.
Also, theme>import theme doesn't work with badly named files.
(I did find I could force it to open a file by passing it on the command line 'tint2conf /home/john/.config/tint2/somefile')

Do other people see all the tint2 files in ~/.config/tint2/, regardless of name?

If that name restriction turns out to apply for everyone, then to make tint2conf usable we should quickly rename all the tint2 files we ship in BL from eg tint2rc-crunchbang to crunchbang-tint2rc, no?

But there are some more issues:

1) BL does not ship ~/.config/tint2/tint2rc. The menu has an entry: edit tint2s>default tint2rc though, and bl-tint2-session falls back to that file if there's no sessionfile. (Luckily BL ships a sessionfile pointing to tint2rc-lithium.) So maybe we need to ship a default tint2rc too, perhaps a symlink pointing to tint2rc-lithium?

2) But, if tint2conf is run, and there's no ~/.config/tint2/tint2rc, then it creates one of its own invention, nothing to do with BL. Another reason for doing something about 1).

3) If a file is opened for editing in tint2conf, and then saved, the whole file is overwritten, including any useful comments.

Considering 3) especially, I'd be inclined to just drop tint2conf from the tint2 menu. It comes with tint2 so we can't uninstall it, and it will still be in the "Applications" sub-menu.

However, maybe people who prefer a GUI will be OK with issue 3)?

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#10 2020-07-05 09:09:38

rbh

johnraff wrote:

I just tried renaming files, and found that only tint2 files whose name ends in tint2rc are displayed.

Good to notice that!

If that name restriction turns out to apply for everyone, then to make tint2conf usable we should quickly rename all the tint2 files we ship in BL from eg tint2rc-crunchbang to crunchbang-tint2rc, no?

Of cource.

2) But, if tint2conf is run, and there's no ~/.config/tint2/tint2rc, then it creates one of its own invention, nothing to do with BL. Another reason for doing something about 1).

Yes, you are right.

3) If a file is opened for editing in tint2conf, and then saved, the whole file is overwritten, including any useful comments.

Ah, that is not good.

Considering 3) especially, I'd be inclined to just drop tint2conf from the tint2 menu. It comes with tint2 so we can't uninstall it, and it will still be in the "Applications" sub-menu.
However, maybe people who prefer a GUI will be OK with issue 3)?

In either case, there maybe shold be a Bunsen Help file, about tint2conf.

Last edited by rbh (2020-07-05 09:32:27)

// Regards rbh

Board footer