You are not logged in.

#1 2020-06-17 00:49:11

Mike_H

UEFI settings before installing Lithium and encryption

Hi, I haven't used a non Apple product in a very long time so bare with me, I used to use CrunchBang ages ago.

I want to install Brunsenlabs Lithium RC3 into a brand new laptop. It has secure boot, UEFI, and NVME disk and "Optane without RAID" instead of AHCI in the settings (I am unfamiliar with all this terms).

Should I disable all this settings in the BIOS (now called UEFI?)? Which ones can I leave on? I already did a backup of the disk using Clonezilla. Is there anything I should know before installing?

Also, I want my data to be encrypted in case my laptop is stolen, is this done as part of the install process nowadays? I remember that it was a pain in the rear to setup encryption in the past and data loss due to disk corruption/power outages was common, has this been addressed? What encryption system do you suggest?

Thanks,
Mike

#2 2020-06-17 02:04:16

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Re: UEFI settings before installing Lithium and encryption

Hi Mike, welcome to the community!

Just a few ideas here:
1) BunsenLabs RC3 should support Secure Boot, so first try booting from the iso without making any changes to your computer settings. If that fails, then time to think about settings.
2) Try the live session (in the menu) first and make sure that your hardware is supported OK. Sometimes brand-new hardware will not work on Debian Stable without using a newer kernel from the Debian backports.
3) The installer will offer the option of setting up an encrypted lvm system - it's not default, but not hard to do if you follow the prompts. I have used this in the past with no problem. ("Blanking the disk" will take quite some time if you choose to do it.)
4) I am also unfamiliar with 'NVME disk and "Optane without RAID" instead of AHCI' I'm afraid - maybe someone else can help?

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#3 2020-06-18 01:25:01

Mike_H

Thanks for your reply @johnraff

I was not able to run the live session. I get an error on startup which i am not able to read because screen goes immediately all black with an underscore flashing and it gets stucked there. I believe the error says it could not load an intel driver related to Bluetooth, I only have half a second to read it.

The installer won't work with secure boot enabled. In the UEFI I can add binaries which are allowed to run in secure boot, and I selected grubx and *64.efi files that are in the iso. This didnt work, I get "vmlinux could not load".

With Secure boot disabled and AHCI, I was able to run the installer. First issue was that it is asking for a CD ROM. I am booting from a usb drive..., I found out that taken the usb device out and in again it would be detected as CDROM drive...

Now the installer is asking me now for network connection and I am not able to progress. I'm starting to think that this all is not very polished, i mean... asking for Ethernet connection and CDROM drives nowadays?

How can I progress without network connection?

#4 2020-06-18 06:33:49

johnraff
nullglob
Website

The asking for CDROM issue came up in the past, and is from the Debian Installer. Actually, I thought it had been already fixed upstream, but if you search the forum, or the web generally, you can find references.

Failure to connect by wireless sounds like a missing driver. Running the installer with a wired net connection is indeed generally recommended - wireless often works fine post-install.

My own machines (older than yours) have never had issues with installing via wifi, but as I said above, brand-new hardware often needs a newer kernel than what is available from Debian Stable (and hence BL Lithium). This is likely the root cause of all your issues.

It's really safer to check hardware compatibility with the live session before going on to an install.
Can you try a default Debian Stable live iso file to compare? https://www.debian.org/CD/live/

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#5 2020-06-18 06:36:02

ohnonot
...again
Website

Tell us more about the device.
Try to boot some live Linux environment (anything based on Debian stable might be too old for that machine) and create a full 'inxi' and/or 'lshw' and/or 'lspci -k' output to share with us.

BL quote proposals to this thread please.
how to ask smart questions | my repos / my repos | my blog
---
Thank you for posting direct image links!

#6 2020-06-21 15:31:27

Mike_H

I was able to continue with the install process (I believe I was pressing 'continue' after choosing to no network. Seem you have to press go back at some point to actually continue. I gave up with running the live session and want to continue with the installation. I am getting a new error and I will create a new threat for it. Thanks.

Board footer