You are not logged in.

#1 2020-06-11 22:05:29

MsMattie

Lithium installer network configuration issue

The lithium release candidate install is not working properly for me.

This is on a Lenovo T430s with an SSD. It's a quadruple boot on four partitions when I am done. Working fine is Win10, Xubuntu and Mint 19.3 XFCE.

When the Lithium installer gets to configuring the network at the DHPC part, it stops. Up on the screen right now is one line - "Configure the Network." And that is where it stops.

I tried both the graphical install and the text install. Same result on both.

Installing from .iso on USB stick after using dd method to create the USB stick.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by MsMattie (2020-06-11 22:07:11)

Linux in the backwoods of the Rocky Mountains...

#2 2020-06-11 23:18:28

eight.bit.al

Re: Lithium installer network configuration issue

MsMattie wrote:

When the Lithium installer gets to configuring the network at the DHPC part, it stops. Up on the screen right now is one line - "Configure the Network." And that is where it stops.

I've been struggling with this same issue. Please describe your network.

The fix for me was a direct connection to the cable modem. Something about my home network it doesn't like. Ran a cat5 line from the computer to the switch ports on the cable modem. Once installed, the computer connected on my home network.

8bit

edit: maybe a mod wants to move this part of the thread to a more appropriate place...

Last edited by eight.bit.al (2020-06-11 23:28:12)

The Flat Earth Society has members all around the globe.

#3 2020-06-11 23:27:15

MsMattie

I tried the wireless wifi first. No go.

Next I ran a cable directly from the router (not the modem) into the laptop. Still no go.

Maybe I should bypass the router and run the cable directly from the modem?

That said. the Mint install today was successful, first try, with wifi only.

#4 2020-06-11 23:30:28

eight.bit.al

Please describe your network. Do you have a router behind a router?

Cable modem/router/wifi(gateway)<---->router/wifi<---->computer?
It's something in the Debian installer. Some, not all Debian based distros act this way.

I've been slaying this dragon for months...

8bit

Last edited by eight.bit.al (2020-06-11 23:42:28)

#5 2020-06-12 01:00:39

MsMattie

I'm visiting my Dad and am doing this at his house. But there is nothing special about this network that I can see.

Spectrum broadband cable comes into the house and into a consumer modem > then to the router which has wifi and one cat cable coming out for direct line if wanted. That's it, unless Spectrum has something weird set up in the router. That's why maybe I'll try direct from the modem instead of the router. With no operating system set up and no software firewall set up, I'm wondering if there is any kind of security risk not necessarily to the laptop software, but rather to the laptop bios. Not likely, I think, but just wondering before I do this.

#6 2020-06-12 01:31:03

eight.bit.al

Lets see if I have this right, :-)
The modem is just that. No NAT, no WIFI. It has a single LAN port. Can you log into it? Was it supplied by Spectrum?
It feeds a router doing NAT and WIFI with a single LAN port. (kinda unusual to only have a single port) Can you log into it?
Oh, I know, Will you list the model numbers of both units? We're not looking for anything special, maybe just something miss-configured.

I don't know enough to answer the security question, and I don't want to steer you wrong.

8bit

P.S. Say hi to Dad!

Last edited by eight.bit.al (2020-06-12 10:41:01)

#7 2020-06-12 04:55:26

johnraff
nullglob
Website

I don't have this kind of networking expertise, but just in case it helps, you can see a running commentary on the installation process by hitting Alt+4 to get TTY4. (Possibly Ctrl+Alt+4) Regular installer interface is on TTY1 and you can get a shell to run commands on TTY2 or TTY3.

If you go to TTY4 when the installer freezes, is there any kind of helpful message?

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#8 2020-06-12 10:47:17

dbvolvox
Website

I always use a wired connection for my laptop installs because the usb iso doesn't know how to connect to the wifi but also for the download speed. My install did hang on interrogating the time server but I skipped that without any problems.

Last edited by dbvolvox (2020-06-12 10:48:07)

#9 2020-06-12 12:11:05

MsMattie

A bit more info. The modem and router each appear to be manufactured for Spectrum and their home broadband service, so there are probably thousands of these out there. Nothing unusual has been added to this set-up. It's rented from Spectrum and I think is stock just as they set it up except for possibly a password change.

The modem is an Arris TM1602.

The router model number may be RAC2VIS but I am unsure about that because it is not obvious. It looks like it was manufactured specifically for Spectrum use. It's typical - cat cable from modem to router, 4 ports out of which only one is being used right now for direct wired connection to a laptop, one usb port.

I think I can get into the router settings, and I'll do that later.

#10 2020-06-12 14:19:06

eight.bit.al

Thanks for the info, it's a big help as it eliminates many potential issues.

Here's a link for login to the modem, but I doubt there's much that can be done there.
https://www.192-168-1-1-ip.co/router/ar … 1602/5526/

Here's a link for login to router. Self instillation info.
https://www.spectrum.net/support/intern … ected=true
Spectrum router passwords.
https://portforward.com/router-password/spectrum.htm

Like you said, this is a standard looking setup and there's probably nothing in either units' configuration that's causing the issue. You're probably reduced to trying the direct to modem connection, but I can't advise on this because I don't know the risk level.
If it was me, I'd try it. But I ride a motorcycle as the only means of motorized transportation, which shows my level of comfort with risk.

Please let us know how it works out.

8bit

#11 2020-06-12 20:32:26

rbh

According to Lenovo the T430s modell can have one of three wifi chips:

Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6205 (2x2)
    Intel Centrino Wireless - N2200 (2x2)
    Intel Centrino Ultimate - N6300 (3x3)

https://www.lenovo.com/se/sv/laptops/th … ies/t430s/

Which one do ylou have and what ethernet chip?
Does cable and wifi of Lithium RC iso work if you boot to live environment?

Does the installer in the Lithium dev iso work?
Does Debian buster net-install iso work?

If you can not get installer to work with your hardware, you can do a workaround.
* Attach your ssd on usb-adapter attached to other computer and install on the ssd.
* Attach usb-adapter for networkcabl, working with linux.
* If Debian buster net-install iso works, install Debian without any x-programs. Add Bunselabs repo and install Bunsen packages,

// Regards rbh

#12 2020-06-12 20:55:57

eight.bit.al

Just to see how well I understand this issue I've been chasing for months, I'll answer some of these question and see how well I did.

rbh wrote:

Does cable and wifi of Lithium RC iso work if you boot to live environment?

Yes, both.

Does the installer in the Lithium dev iso work?

Right up until DHCPv6 tries to configure the network.

Does Debian buster net-install iso work?

Yes.

8bit

#13 2020-06-13 13:02:38

rbh

Does the same error occour when installing Helium?

If the installer hangs when identifiing ethernet and wifi chips, when booting BL Lithium/Helium iso in installer mood, it realey seems to be a bug...?
You should give us the chips, so someone else with the same chips, can verify the bug.

Have you tried the workaround with usb ethernet nic?

// Regards rbh

#14 2020-06-13 14:37:34

eight.bit.al

Helium installer works on the LAN. I don't have a machine with WIFI. Everything that can be put on the LAN, is (speed, security); saving the WIFI for phones, tablets, Roku. Even the TV is on the LAN, bought deliberately with a LAN connection.

For me, the issue occurred on three different machines with chips from Realtek and Intel. I purchased an Intel 10/100 NIC to put in a machine with a Realtek, replacing the Realtek, same issue. I believe it's not chip related.

It's 'home network' related.  Because my cable wall outlet is in a stupid location, the setup looks like:
Cable wall outlet<----->
Suddenlink Gateway (modem/router/WIFI)<--cat5e to the other side of room run across the ceiling-->
Linksys E800 Router (set to bridge mode+WIFI)(because I already had it, replaced with a real switch - Real Soon™)<----->
several computers, TV, printer.

I ran a cat5e cable from the test computer to the gateway, and the installer completed the DHCPv6 configuration. Installer completed as intended. Finally, BL Lithium to play with. \o/

8bit

edit:
Let me add, other Debian distros have the same issue. #!++, and a community respin of Debian, I don't remember which one, maybe KDE Plasma, to name two. Something in the way they're built uses something in the installer that creates this sensitivity to the network. And only in Buster.

Last edited by eight.bit.al (2020-06-13 15:51:36)

#15 2020-06-13 21:07:35

cog
Cattle Baron
Website

I had the same problem on a particular network.  Had something to do with ipv6.

Adding ”ipv6.disable=1” to the grub command for the installer entry from the grub menu when you boot the iso worked for me.

I think you hit the “e” key on the installer entry, then it’s like the second line that you’d add “ ipv6.disable=1” towards the end before “quiet”.  Then you press Ctrl-x to boot the modified boot entry.

Last edited by cog (2020-06-13 21:21:52)

Morning, Bunny.  Well, I can see you're in good health.  -George Washington McLintock! (John Wayne, AKA the Duke)

#16 2020-06-13 21:43:18

rbh

eight.bit.al wrote:

Helium installer works on the LAN.

Ok, the Debian installer can configure the network (ethernet for you) in the dists based on Debian 9, you tested.  But the installer hangs when configuring the network in dists based on Debian 10?

I purchased an Intel 10/100 NIC to put in a machine with a Realtek, replacing the Realtek, same issue. I believe it's not chip related.

The intel NIC, was supported by Debian?

It's 'home network' related.

Ok, have you tested install somewhere there is free wiffi?
Have you tested to install without cable? You will miss some packages, and have to add BL-repos manually and then run bl-welcome.

Because my cable wall outlet is in a stupid location, the setup looks like:
Cable wall outlet<----->
Suddenlink Gateway (modem/router/WIFI)<--cat5e to the other side of room run across the ceiling-->
Linksys E800 Router (set to bridge mode+WIFI)(because I already had it, replaced with a real switch - Real Soon™)<----->

You make me verry confused.
Do you realey conect your computer to an "Suddenlink Gateway (modem/router/WIFI)" and then further to an "Linksys E800 Router"?
Earlier in the thread you posted links to an "Arris Touchstone TM1602 Default Router Login" and an "Touchstone® TM1602G Telephony Modem". From your text, I can not get any image of your setup...

I ran a cat5e cable from the test computer to the gateway, and the installer completed the DHCPv6 configuration. Installer completed as intended. Finally, BL Lithium to play with. \o/

Yes, if you have an misconfigured network, it can be better to attach the computer directly to your gateway.

I have an wireles modem.
My computers, TV and printers attach to router. The router is on another ip-segment than my lan.

Lets say my lan is on 192.168.168.0 The router has ip 192.168.168.1. On the far side of the router, it gets adress 192.168.169.2 from the modem that has the adress 192.168.169.1.

The router is configured to give binded ip-adress to printer, server and some computers.

There is other possible chemas, but i like mine.

Last edited by rbh (2020-06-13 21:45:06)

// Regards rbh

#17 2020-06-13 22:36:50

eight.bit.al

rbh wrote:

Ok, the Debian installer can configure the network (ethernet for you) in the dists based on Debian 9, you tested.  But the installer hangs when configuring the network in dists based on Debian 10?

Only some Debian 10 distros. Others install fine. My guess at this point is distros made from a net install work, distros made the way BL is made have the issue.

I purchased an Intel 10/100 NIC to put in a machine with a Realtek, replacing the Realtek, same issue. I believe it's not chip related.

The intel NIC, was supported by Debian?

Yes, all purchases are well researched.

Ok, have you tested install somewhere there is free wiffi?

No, I haven't lugged my PCs to somewhere there is free WIFI. Also, I have WIFI here at home. As stated in the previous post, I don't have WIFI on any of the PCs.

Have you tested to install without cable? You will miss some packages, and have to add BL-repos manually and then run bl-welcome.

I don't know what 'install without cable' means.  Please define cable - cable internet or cat5 cable. If you mean install without internet, no. DHCPv6 would have nothing to trip over. smile

Because my cable wall outlet is in a stupid location, the setup looks like:
Cable wall outlet<----->

You make me verry confused.
Do you realey conect your computer to an "Suddenlink Gateway (modem/router/WIFI)" and then further to an "Linksys E800 Router"?

Please reread what I said. The second router - Linksys E800 is set to bridge mode. No NAT is taking place, acting as a switch with WIFI only.

Earlier in the thread you posted links to an "Arris Touchstone TM1602 Default Router Login" and an "Touchstone® TM1602G Telephony Modem". From your text, I can not get any image of your setup...

Those links were for the OP to use in working with her hardware.

Gateway<----->Linksys - set bridge mode<----->PCs, TV, printer.

Yes, if you have an misconfigured network, it can be better to attach the computer directly to your gateway.

My guess is the Linksys set to bridge mode is creating the situation that triggers the installer to fail.

When I can rub enough pennies together, It will be replaced with a real switch.  smile

8bit

#18 2020-06-14 10:15:35

rbh

eight.bit.al wrote:

I don't know what 'install without cable' means.  Please define cable - cable internet or cat5 cable. If you mean install without internet, no. DHCPv6 would have nothing to trip over. smile

Network cable. Nowadys all network cables shold be at least cat5 grade or higher (cat5 defines the quality of the cable). An cat5 cable on an lan can be the route out to internet, but it can also be connection to Lan without outside connection. The thougt is that if installation hangs when configuring network (dhcp?), the absence of ethernet link, could cause the debian installer to continue past network configuration.

My guess is the Linksys set to bridge mode is creating the situation that triggers the installer to fail.
When I can rub enough pennies together, It will be replaced with a real switch.  smile

Misconfigured network should be possible to fix without bying new hardware. (BTW, the cost for an unmaneged 8-port switch start from 30-40 $. You can get an used one for 10-20 $.)

As I have understood:
From the computer, you have an cable to an Linksys E800.
Its default ip is 192.168.1.1. You wrote "(set to bridge mode+WIFI). You have enabled dhcp and configured it to "bridged mode"?

From the Linksys E800, you have an cable to an "Suddenlink Gateway (modem/router/WIFI)". Suddenlink is an Internet provider. They deliver a long range of modems. But, You use it as modem/router?

You got to decide how top build your infrastructure best. You can have all devices on the same LAN, dont split as i described before.

If the Suddenlink modem is newest (best security), then use it as gateway.
You do not use wifi. Disable wifi (and the "bridged mode") on the Linksys router. Use it as a switch.

// Regards rbh

#19 2020-06-14 19:12:54

eight.bit.al

rbh wrote:
eight.bit.al wrote:

Network cable.

I'm so literal sometimes. 'install without network cable' or 'install without a cable' I would have understood. Sorry, I can be dense.

Nowadys all network cables shold be at least cat5 grade or higher (cat5 defines the quality of the cable).

Let's agree to dispense with Networking 101. I've been a computer junky since 1967; and while I don't know everything or even a lot, I've forgotten more than most people know. smile And you sound like you know what you're talking about...

The thougt is that if installation hangs when configuring network (dhcp?), the absence of ethernet link, could cause the debian installer to continue past network configuration.

The goal is not to install BL; well that's a secondary goal. The goal is to define the error. Deliberately avoiding the error is counterproductive.

Misconfigured network should be possible to fix without bying new hardware.

There network is not misconfigured. More on that later.

(BTW, the cost for an unmaneged 8-port switch start from 30-40 $. You can get an used one for 10-20 $.)

Thanks for the info. I've been looking for deals on eBay. This change is for testing the installer by eliminating possible trouble points. Otherwise it works fine. This is a low priority in my budget.

As I have understood:
From the computer, you have an cable to an Linksys E800.
Its default ip is 192.168.1.1. You wrote "(set to bridge mode+WIFI). You have enabled dhcp and configured it to "bridged mode"?

From the Linksys E800, you have an cable to an "Suddenlink Gateway (modem/router/WIFI)". Suddenlink is an Internet provider. They deliver a long range of modems. But, You use it as modem/router?

You got to decide how top build your infrastructure best. You can have all devices on the same LAN, dont split as i described before.

If the Suddenlink modem is newest (best security), then use it as gateway.
You do not use wifi. Disable wifi (and the "bridged mode") on the Linksys router. Use it as a switch.

Let me try to be as specific as possible.  smile

Gateway - Arris TG2482A

Handles all DHCP and WiFI
IP range 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.254
Current Client List:
192.168.0.2 - Wireless24 - Roku
192.168.0.5 - Wireless50 - Phone
192.168.0.7 - Wireless50 - Phone
192.168.0.13 - Ethernet PC - Main PC - HP Z230 - Multiboot - Win, Linux
192.168.0.14 - Ethernet PC - Test PC - HP DX2300 - Multiboot - Whatever I'm playing with lately. --->BL \o/

ThinkPad T420 - currently turned off - LAN - wireless disabled
TV - currently turned off - LAN - wireless disabled
Win Tablet - currently turned off - wireless only
Nexus 10 Tablet - currently turned off - wireless only

Gateway
  |        |
LAN  WIFI
  |        |-----Phones, Tablets, Roku
  |
  | <-- Cat5E across the ceiling to the computer area
  |
  |----E800 - Bridge mode. No services, no WIFI, can't be logged into. A 4 port switch with an uplink port.
          |
          |-----PC
          |-----PC

I hard reset the E800 this morning to remove the WIFI. All changes have to be made before setting BM, as there is no login after switching to BM. Last time I didn't remove the WIFI before BM and I was too lazy to hard reset it and get back into it. The bridge router will pass along an IP address from the primary router to the clients. It's just a switch with an uplink port.

Now for the Issue.
Something in the latest Debian installer make it sensitive to some networks. Look at the OP's network. Bone stock boring. I wish I could get a close up look at the way it's configured. Debian distros that use another installer install fine. Debian distros built up from the net install ISO work fine.

It could be the latest installer is adhering to a new standard the fails on some older setups. The hunt continues.

8bit

Last edited by eight.bit.al (2020-06-14 22:42:14)

#20 2020-06-15 00:07:07

rbh

What is "setting BM"?

This is your router?
If you can not login to it, it is either broken or misconfigured!

After harderesetting, the router goes back to adress 192.168.1.1. If you want to use it on lan-segment 192.168.0.0, you must configure it. Disconnect it from the network, attach a cable to the computer and surf in to 192.168.1.1.
If you do not need wifi on the router (use it as a plain switch), you should not configure it as an Accesspont in bridged mode!
Are you sure you can access all 5 ports on network 192.168.0.0, even the Internet-port? Usualley, there is possibility to configer the "uplink" (Internet-port) to be merged with the other ports...

You can before disconnecting it, test using "nmap -sn 192.168.0.0/24". All network devices will answer with ip, identification and open service ports. If you see it listed, can you still not login to it?

Your network should be drawn something like this:

Home network 192.168.0.0

Arris TG2482A  X  192.168.0.1?
                |  GW, DHCP, WIFFI
                              |   | 
                              X   X
                             pc   ?

Your LAN consist of both wifi and cable communiction!

Last edited by rbh (2020-06-15 00:08:08)

// Regards rbh

#21 2020-06-15 01:04:11

eight.bit.al

It finally got through my thick skull. You were right.
I had it misconfigured correctly. (configured incorrectly)
I'm man enough to admit when I'm wrong.

Thanks for trying to help, I am grateful.

8bit

edit: Installer still failed at the same point. Just like it did for the OP.

Last edited by eight.bit.al (2020-06-15 03:22:09)

#22 2020-06-15 03:14:54

johnraff
nullglob
Website

eight.bit.al wrote:

Let's agree to dispense with Networking 101. I've been a computer junky since 1967; and while I don't know everything or even a lot, I've forgotten more than most people know. smile And you sound like you know what you're talking about...

But let's not forget that other people are reading this thread, and might in the future, hoping to find some hints. It never hurts to be explicit.

#23 2020-06-15 03:23:17

eight.bit.al

^ My bad. When I put my foot in my mouth, I go in up to the ankle.

8bit

#24 2020-06-15 07:07:14

johnraff
nullglob
Website

^Not bad. It's often tricky deciding what level to respond at, but doesn't hurt to imagine a third-party inexperienced reader. Applies to the respondee too, not to be offended by simple explanations.

#25 2020-06-15 08:29:29

rbh

eight.bit.al wrote:

: Installer still failed at the same point. Just like it did for the OP.

You have disabled wifi on the E800 router, now using it as switch?
You can see the ip of E800, and login?
Could you configure the uplink to be merged to your 192.168.0.9 segment och you only use the four lan-ports?

Good you now have a better working network. But, it scratches in my fingers to test if it is possible to iron out remaining problem...

Also still curios; what is "setting BM"? I can not figure it out...

BTW. On many routers (or modems), you can configure static dhcp-leases outside of the dhcp lease range.

O my lan, the dhcp scope set on the router is 150-230. Fixed ip-leases is handed out otuside automaticley assigned adresses. The router even set the ip-adrss of some vitualbox-installations I want to be easy accessible on the lan.

Last edited by rbh (2020-06-15 09:00:33)

// Regards rbh

Board footer