You are not logged in.

#1 2020-06-09 21:27:07

jjanderson5

When running BL helium, nm-appliet cannot configure VPN

I have used nm-applet regurlarly in prior releases of BL. I have been trying to upgrade two PCs to Helium and I find that the behavior of nm-applet is similar on both of the the PCs after my initial install, but different that what I have seen in prior releases.

In prior releases, I could click on the nm-applet icon and select:

VPN Connections --> Configure VPN

A pop-up window would appear  and I could choose either Ethernet or Wifi.

In the current release, I click on the icon and I see:

Add a VPN Connection. A window pops up named, "Choose a VPN Connection Type", but the drop down menu is blank, so I cannot select either Ethernet or Wifi.

I have this problem on the two PCs and I have seen this when I tried to install Helium in the past.

Do I have to do some configuration to get the former behavior? Is there a reference document available?

Regards,
Jim A.

#2 2020-06-09 23:13:15

DeepDayze

Re: When running BL helium, nm-appliet cannot configure VPN

You need a VPN plugin package installed.

network-manager-openvpn is a common one that uses OpenVPN protocol. What VPN protocol you looking for?

Real Men Use Linux

#3 2020-06-10 08:26:05

jjanderson5

Re: When running BL helium, nm-appliet cannot configure VPN

@DeepDayze

Thank you for your reply. I will be reading up on the network-manager openvpn plugin.

>> What VPN protocol you looking for?

I'm not sure what you mean here. Is there a protocol for various connection types, i.e. Ethernet, wifi, etc?  In the past, I have only used ethernet and wifi connection, so those are the type of connections I would like to have available.

Regards,
Jim

Board footer