You are not logged in.

#1 2020-05-14 11:27:32

corey.taylor
Website

BL Helium: peripherals stop working in sleep mode (occasionally)

Hey guys.

So this is a pretty minor issue but just sometimes, maybe twice since I started using BL, peripherals stop working on the laptop. This is whether locked or going into the low-power mode  (is that even sleep mode?), if I don't touch the thing for a while, things just stop working. The machine doesn't appear to have frozen as the mouse cursor sits there flickering a bit but either way, my USB keyboard and trackball stop working.

So this is why I can't supply any output from commands. However, like a douchebag, I didn't even think to try to laptop keyboard itself so if it happens again, I'll see if I can post the requisite dmesg, lsbusb, etc. output. Is this is as simple as a USB crash of some sort? I'm using two of the four ports and also the HDMI port for a second monitor if that's related at all. Maybe it relates to point 4 on autosuspend here?

Cheers guys.

#2 2020-05-14 13:23:59

twoion
ほやほや

Re: BL Helium: peripherals stop working in sleep mode (occasionally)

Check the output of dmesg for interesting things like errors.

Usually, this is the USB controller going into suspension mode and not waking up correctly. If you've got BL Helium, you'll want to upgrade to Lithium dev and from there to the latest kernel from buster-backports (5.5.17) because for any recent laptop the stretch-backports kernel will be not sufficiently recent.

Cheap fix if lucky would be to install powertop, open the Tunables and WakeUp tabs (WakeUp only on recent versions) and toggle autosuspend for controllers and/or devices to bad/off. If you've got it working you can run powertop auto-tune using a systemd service https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Powertop to persist the settings.

Per aspera ad astra.

#3 2020-05-15 14:26:36

corey.taylor
Website

Re: BL Helium: peripherals stop working in sleep mode (occasionally)

Good tips, thanks very much. I'm looking for a definitive reason to upgrade from Helium -> Lithium so this could be it. I've tried the current testing Lithium but I'll hold for now until an official release, though.

Board footer