You are not logged in.

#1 2020-04-14 14:14:34

corey.taylor
Website

Hallo from Germany

Hey all,

First of all, just wanted to say I'm blown away by BL Linux so far. I've been a Linux user since kernel 2.2.x (2000-ish) and have tried just about all the major light, source-based, *buntu, Slack/Deb-based or commercial distros you can name (quite liked Vector Linux). I installed Helium and, so far, rock-solid. Has struck a nice balance between just staying out of the way and having many of the extras the bigger distros have. Exactly what I like. As with every new distro I install, I've tried breaking it a few times and failed miserably.

To properly introduce myself, I'm a research post doc in Dresden, originally from Australia. Working as a theoretical chemist so the chemistry-themed distro scratches me where I itch and seems to run all of the weird scientific software we use without too many hassles. Have already told a few of my colleagues about BL so expect a few more users soon.

Anyway, cheers and, once again, great job.

#2 2020-04-14 14:23:15

damo
....moderator....

Re: Hallo from Germany

Great to hear - sounds like we are doing something right smile You may also have noticed that we are trying to use the typical element flame colour to detail our themes: check out Lithium (testing now).

I guess by the time we get to the transuranics, BL will be running on quantum hardware!

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#3 2020-04-14 14:45:41

corey.taylor
Website

I noticed Lithium, looks like some nice upgrades to OpenBox. I'll stick with Helium for the time-being, no real need to be bleeding edge but that does provoke a question. Linux has historically been very iffy with distro upgrades, albeit smooth upgrades are a tough thing to do well, especially if you use a lot of backports (*buntu particularly bad here). Debian does a reasonable job but the best way forward is generally a full reinstall. Would you still recommend that with BL?

Last edited by corey.taylor (2020-04-14 14:46:33)

#4 2020-04-14 14:58:21

damo
....moderator....

ATM the easiest way would be a reinstall, because of the changes to user configs. Many have successfully negotiated an upgrade, but it isn't a straightforward path - especially because of the new menu and keybinds utilities provided by the default bunsenlabs-session (it is still possible to use your old Openbox session at login though).
At some point we will describe a step-by-step route, but if your Helium install is doing the job for you then there is no rush wink

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#5 2020-04-14 14:59:49

twoion
ほやほや

Dresden can make for a very nice place to live. Also has a very strong scientific profile. I'm from middle Germany / northern Hesse myself. Hope you have got a good position (if yes probably Plank/Helmholtz?); non-professorial research staff here in Germany at universities is after all more often than not synonymous with limited contracts and no tenure track.

Per aspera ad astra.

#6 2020-04-14 15:30:16

corey.taylor
Website

damo wrote:

ATM the easiest way would be a reinstall, because of the changes to user configs. Many have successfully negotiated an upgrade, but it isn't a straightforward path - especially because of the new menu and keybinds utilities provided by the default bunsenlabs-session (it is still possible to use your old Openbox session at login though).
At some point we will describe a step-by-step route, but if your Helium install is doing the job for you then there is no rush wink

So far so good but I'm as susceptible to the new shiny effect as anyone. Almost forgot how much nerdy fun it is just configuring Conky.

twoion wrote:

Dresden can make for a very nice place to live. Also has a very strong scientific profile. I'm from middle Germany / northern Hesse myself. Hope you have got a good position (if yes probably Plank/Helmholtz?); non-professorial research staff here in Germany at universities is after all more often than not synonymous with limited contracts and no tenure track.

Yes mate, I'm at a HZ. No interest in being a prof and they've made some good noises about extending me to the line of permanency so let's see how things pan out come contract renewal, especially in these times of the plague. I did my PhD in MR, incidentally, so am well familiar with Hessen. Cheers from the far east!

#7 2020-04-14 15:42:10

corey.taylor
Website

I totally forgot to mention the hardware I'm running. I'm sure the devs and maintainers will find it useful to have another data point.

Acer Aspire V17 Nitro lappie 17"
i7-4710HQ (16 cores), 16Gb RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M
250Gb SSD/1Tb SATA drives
Usual network h/w (Qualcomm stuff)

Laptop is about 5 years old. BL runs smooth as silk with the above + external monitor and mech keyboard* and the NVIDIA driver running version ~390 without needing any special configuration. Opened her up on the highway with a UT2003 clone I just found (https://xonotic.org/) and she breezed it. So, about as 'out-of-the-box' as one could hope for, really.

*yes, I'm one of them, PM me your recommendations, etc.

#8 2020-04-15 02:23:40

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Hi Corey, welcome to BunsenLabs! smile
(I play in a band too, though our gigs are also in abeyance atm.)

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#9 2020-04-15 07:36:45

corey.taylor
Website

I hear ya man. We had a series of album launch gigs booked for May. Not any more.

Incidentally I went to Japan in 2010 and absolutely loved it. Best trip I've ever done. Hope to go back...

#10 2020-04-20 20:44:50

randomeur

wehey! what a coincidence!
A research postdoc here (in aquatic ecology) based in Berlin, who collaborates with quite a few Helmholtz researchers in Magdeburg and Leipzig. Maybe we'll cross paths sooner rather than later smile

#11 2020-04-21 05:52:57

Dobbie03
Resident Metalhead
Website

Hello from New Zealand and welcome to BL!

One of the ArchLabs dudes
Obssesive Metalhead and practiced beer drinker
\m/

Board footer