You are not logged in.

#1 2020-02-17 07:36:28

ohnonot
...again
Website

What do you like to Eat? Share your favourite Recipes!

Hello,
in this thread you can share how you like to prepare food and what your best recipes are.

BL quote proposals to this thread please.
how to ask smart questions | my repos / my repos | my blog
---
Thank you for posting direct image links!

#2 2020-02-17 11:29:56

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Re: What do you like to Eat? Share your favourite Recipes!

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#3 2020-02-17 11:34:49

clusterF

John West smoked tuna in oil and tomato on toast with hot sauce drizzled on the tomato (tobasco very hot style).

Another variation of mine is to mix in cajun seasoning with the tuna, mmm so nice.

So detail on how i do it.

Toast some nice bread of your choice, i like plain old white bread but it has to be quality, maybe a tank loaf from the local bakery or a vienna style loaf.

I dont use butter or margering i instead drizzle olive oil over the bread once its toasted, then its just a matter fo adding on the tuna flakes and nicely cut vine ripened tomatoes (thickly cut) and drizzle that hot sauce on the toms.

With cajun style i just mix the tuna and the seasoning in a bowl and add to the toast then layer on the toms.

Last edited by clusterF (2020-02-17 11:39:58)

#4 2020-02-17 11:36:00

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Winter in Japan, and oysters are in season. Quite cheap too, compared with the UK anyway.

Two kinds: "for cooking" and "for eating raw". The difference is where they're raised - the raw-eating ones come from beds futher out to sea where there's less plankton, and fewer bacteria. But if you're going to cook them, the cookers are better because they're plumply well-fed on all the sewage effluent rich plankton-laden river water.

Raw: try them with grated radish ("daikon" or "mooli"), lemon juice and a dash of soy sauce.

Or breadcrumbed and deep-fried, also pretty good. smile

#5 2020-02-17 11:37:24

johnraff
nullglob
Website

^^Sounds very nice!
The other day someone gave us a jar of smoked sardines which are also tasty.

#6 2020-02-17 14:30:57

glittersloth
...village idiot

An epiphany I had a few years ago - time spent preparing and cleaning up should be equal or less than time spent consuming - has basically whittled down my "repertoire" to salads and toast. So I have no recipes of value to share.

I will, however, recommend La Rustichella Truffle Pate. Goes with almost anything; tortilla wraps, salads, pasta, even simple toast. I'm sure there's very little actual truffle in it, but it's distinctive enough. If you've got some nice French or Italian countryside lady making the stuff fresh for you with truffles from the forest behind her village, or if you're one of the EU based BL members that has access to more "gourmet" brands of this stuff, I have no counter, your stuff wins hands down. For the rest of us plebs, this is the equivalent of bottled crack. The White Truffle version is more robust and distinct, but the Black Truffle variant is a tad smoother. Pricey, but imho worth the cost.

Last edited by glittersloth (2020-02-17 14:33:57)

#7 2020-02-17 18:24:59

twoion
ほやほや

Pasta carbonara (it's a lie that it has to be spaghetti; the thicker the noodles the better) a la twoion:

Boil pasta. Meanwhile, prepare 8 egg yolks and mix well with loads of grated Permesan cheese (or gouda), season with fresh ground pepper and a bit of salt. Fry a bunch of pancetta pieces in well till the smell of grilled bacon can't be withstood by a mere human anymore. It's done when there's a sauce of fat. Get the finished pasta into the pan, and add the cheese & add the cheese & egg mix ALONG with a quarter cup of pasta water (depending on the amount of pasta). The sauce will take on the famous milky/cheesy carbonara look. Thin the sauce as desired by adding more pasta water. Serve immediately.

Why is this superior pasta? You can mess up everything and will still taste like the god's nectar because there's bacon in it.

Per aspera ad astra.

#8 2020-02-18 01:42:45

hhh
Meep!
Website

@twoion, my favorite meal was in a small Italian restaurant on The Lincoln Road Mall in Miami Beach when I lived there in '90 and '91, way before Miami looked anything like it does today. Bucatini Carbonara. I ordered it the first time I visited, and it was the only thing I ever ordered, my coworkers and I ate there at least twice a week. Not sure if I was a fool for not sampling other menu items, but my stomach didn't think so. It told me "EAT THIS", so I did, every time.

#9 2020-02-18 01:55:48

hhh
Meep!
Website

So you have a perfectly ripe, Mexican Drug Cartell shipped Hass avocado, what to do?

My favorite...

Cut the avocado length-wise around the seed. Separate the halves, hack the knife into the seed, twist and remove. Take a tablespoon and spoon the half-avocado away from the skin, but don't remove it. Fill the crater in the avocado-half with a good balsamic vinegar. Chop up the flesh a bit with your spoon into bites and enjoy. Repeat with the other half.

How we serve raw avocado in our restaurant... Same procedure, but discard the skins and plate the two avocado halves. Dust with Za'atar (ours is made by us and is oregano, sesame seeds and sumac). Drizzle a nice extra virgin olive oil over it. Take a pinch of a chunky salt, sea salt or kosher salt or something, and pinch and drop it on the avocado from a foot high (one third of a meter, a little less than 2 bananas) to disperse it (a little wrist-flick makes it especially chef-like. Divas, all of them. Chefs are all Prima Donnas in ballet Crocs). Serve.

#10 2020-02-18 08:29:28

ohnonot
...again
Website

@johnraff: Mmmm, raw seafood. We get a lot of Gravlax around here. Recently I (accidentally) bought the more expensive brand - the taste difference was amazing. Melts on the tongue. Just put it on some Leksands Knäckebröd together with some fresh salad or veggie, lovely.

@twoion: Best Only Carbonara recipe I've ever seen. Sounds good. What do you do with 8 egg whites?
Also, do you have a tip on what can replace the Parmesan taste-wise but is cheaper?

@hhh Za'atar sounds good. Must investigate.
Your description of how to open up an avocado reminds me how many people nowadays are missing basic food preparation skills. There should be a "cut and core an apple with minimum leftovers" test. So many would fail.

Like glittersloth, I do not do much cooking anymore. I used to make a decent Coq au vin. I should try again actually.
I like quick & cheap recipes, the sort you can eat every night even on a tight budget.
Also, while not actually a vegetarian or even vegan, I like to eat vegan or vegetarian.
Lately I have taken to making my own Hummus. If you have a powerful blender it's easy to make, but you better make a lot to justify the mess that makes.
Use dry chickpeas, not the canned stuff. The key is in soaking them for long enough - overnight, i.e. 12h at a minimum. If you soak them longer make sure they're cool enough.
Pour away the soaking water, rinse the peas.
Then cook/simmer with some fresh water (not too much) for 1 or 2 hours until they're soft enough, but not falling apart. If you get a nice nutty smell you're doing it right.
Let cool.
Put all of it in the blender, together with (now's the time to get creative):

• raw garlic (not too much please, it’s very strong. Just one normal-sized clove)

• Lemon juice

• Cumin (not too much either), chili, salt, pepper...

• Olive oil (not too little)

• Tahin (not too little, and I prefer the roasted and salted kind)

and blend. Hopefully you didn't use too much cooking water (or too little).

You have a lot of Hummus now.
You can put it on bread (maybe the aforementioned Leksand's). You could also stir it into a tomato pasta sauce to give it more creamy, proteinish substance.
Or put it on avocados big_smile

Last edited by ohnonot (2020-02-18 08:33:44)

---

#11 2020-02-18 08:34:19

Jimbo_G

I definitely agree on the dry chickpeas for making hummus. I sometimes make an alternative version using smooth peanut butter rather than tahini.

#12 2020-02-18 09:21:16

ohnonot
...again
Website

^ OK, I have to try with peanut butter. I can do that right away actually because I have some boiled chickpeas, no Tahini but smooth peanut butter smile
Do you put raw garlic in it, too?

---

#13 2020-02-18 09:45:40

Jimbo_G

Yes, as you say just a little bit of garlic.

#14 2020-02-18 14:03:31

manyroads
Website

I use cumin rather than garlic in our hummus; because my wife is allergic to sulphur.

Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau (manyroads)
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."    ---H. L. Mencken
Reg. Linux User #449130

#15 2020-02-19 02:12:03

hhh
Meep!
Website

@ohnonot, I'll try to steal our hummus recipe. Nobody tell my boss...

https://shopthedaily.com/

#16 2020-02-19 11:24:41

ohnonot
...again
Website

Whipped feta and fermented honey? Sounds delicious!

---

#17 2020-02-20 00:18:23

hhh
Meep!
Website

ohnonot wrote:

Whipped feta and fermented honey? Sounds delicious!

Our whipped feta has universal praise, I've never heard a customer say anything other than "this is amazing" in the 2 locations I've worked (Butcher & Bee, our flagship restaurant, and The Daily, our profitable restaurant. tongue To be fair, the area that Butcher is in is being developed rapidly, our investors are banking that as gentrification continues at its current pace it will inevitably become profitable. Of course, what this means is that a lot of poor black and a few poor white households that have existed for decades will be replaced with wealthy "luxury" apartment buildings. Late-stage capitalism progresses...)

#18 2020-02-21 05:37:52

ohnonot
...again
Website

I tried making hummus with peanut butter (smooth, 100% peanuts) instead of tahini, but it's not the same. There's something special about roasted sesame, can't replace it.
I also added hot pepper paste instead of powder. Great stuff.

---

#19 2020-02-21 08:03:18

johnraff
nullglob
Website

^Try 50/50 if the sesame is much more expensive (as it is in Japan)?
Or maybe some sesame oil (the dark roasted kind from Japan or Korea) would give peanut butter the taste?

I usually prefer chilli paste to powder, and generally fresh to dried, though dried chillies have their own flavour which you sometimes want.

Last edited by johnraff (2020-02-22 01:57:11)

#20 2020-02-21 09:07:34

Jimbo_G

My other peanut butter related recipe is a sweet potato gratin. Thinly sliced sweet potato with chopped garlic, chillies, some cream, a few spoonfuls of crunchy peanut butter and the juice of one lime. Bake in the oven until the top is crispy.

#21 2020-02-22 02:18:32

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Get a wok

For a quick easy but healthy meal it's hard to beat a stir-fry. A wok with its high curved sides keeps the food from flying out when you're stirring it around. A pro who's doing 200 orders of fried swamp cabbage a day will scoff, but if you can find a non-stick wok it makes life easier and lets you use less oil.

Thin-sliced meat - pork, beef, lamb or whatever - plus whatever veg. you have to hand. Slice everything thin so it cooks quickly. Add salty seasonings like soy sauce at the end so the veg don't go mushy. Fry a bit of garlic or ginger at the start to flavour the oil. Throw in some chillies by all means. Otherwise, oyster sauce, Thai or Chinese chilli pastes, fermented shrimp paste, curry powder, fish sauce...

Last visit to the UK, though, I was disappointed to find nearly all the meat in the supermarket was either blocks for roasting or chunks for stewing. You must have it thin-sliced for stir-frying (although you can stew stuff in a wok too).

Get a proper chopping board of decent size and weight (ie bigger than a breadboard) and a decent cooking knife too - not one of those dinky things everyone in Britain seems to use. It will make the work of cutting ingredients vastly easier, as I discovered in reverse trying to manage without last December.

Not talking about haute-cuisine here, just trying to meet Glittersloth's criterion of quick preparation when you're tired of salads.

Crusty French bread goes well with a lot of stir-frys, especially if you're thinking Vietnamese, but the ideal is to get one of those electric rice cookers. Takes about 45min, but there's almost zero work involved. Eat with chopsticks if you like, but in SE Asia it's more often spoon in right hand, fork in left to help push the food onto the spoon.
dGjnqCl.png

#22 2020-02-22 02:50:01

glittersloth
...village idiot

johnraff wrote:

Get a proper chopping board of decent size and weight (ie bigger than a breadboard) and a decent cooking knife too - not one of those dinky things everyone in Britain seems to use. It will make the work of cutting ingredients vastly easier, as I discovered in reverse trying to manage without last December.

Yes!! A couple of decent knives, proper sharpening tool and chopping board are essential... and for the love of whatever fact or fiction you believe in, make sure they're steel. Nobody goes to war with a ceramic sword.

john wrote:

Not talking about haute-cuisine here, just trying to meet Glittersloth's criterion of quick preparation when you're tired of salads.

Sadly, I can't use a wok anymore since my stove went electric/glass-top. Woks on electric stoves will only cook you bouts of depression.

#23 2020-02-22 04:47:41

Dobbie03
Resident Metalhead
Website

The other night I cooked some pork steaks, I think they were pork rumps.  I made a rub of fennel seeds, garlic granules, black pepper and pink salt which I ground up in my mortar and pestle.

A quick fry for colour, then into the oven for 20 minutes.  They came out medium rare (still pink but not bleeding which is okay).  I had the pork with a slaw I made, dressing an all with pepperdews and tomato on the side.

It was tasty.

One of the ArchLabs dudes
Obssesive Metalhead and practiced beer drinker
\m/

#24 2020-02-24 07:03:05

ohnonot
...again
Website

^ tell us about the slaw!

johnraff wrote:

^Try 50/50 if the sesame is much more expensive (as it is in Japan)?

No, it's not that expensive (or peanut butter isn't that cheap either). I just didn't have any tahini in the house and wanted to try it.

Jimbo_G wrote:

My other peanut butter related recipe is a sweet potato gratin. Thinly sliced sweet potato with chopped garlic, chillies, some cream, a few spoonfuls of crunchy peanut butter and the juice of one lime. Bake in the oven until the top is crispy.

With sweet potatos, otoh, peanut butter sounds like just the right thing!

Another peanut butter thing: I like to stir some into my favourite asian noodles wink

Wok: yes! Unfortunately I have an electric stove, I guess there's no woks for that...

---

#25 2020-02-24 07:22:24

Martin
Website

johnraff wrote:

Get a wok

For a quick easy but healthy meal it's hard to beat a stir-fry. A wok with its high curved sides keeps the food from flying out when you're stirring it around. A pro who's doing 200 orders of fried swamp cabbage a day will scoff, but if you can find a non-stick wok it makes life easier and lets you use less oil.

So what is the best wokish option for western style stoves designed for flat-bottomed pots and pans? The woks I have seen in Asia and in Asian restaurants elsewhere would be no good in my kitchen, I think.

/Martin

"Problems worthy of attack
prove their worth by hitting back."
Piet Hein

Board footer