You are not logged in.

#1 2020-02-16 01:49:49

phil_in_la

Appearance setting suggestion/questions...

I know this has probably come up before... anyway, I have a question about theming.

A lot of the time I run programs that use gtk-2 decorations, and they usually match what I've selected in the preferences/appearance/customize look and feel/Widget menu item.

I can select a nice gtk theme that lets me see light text on a dark background. THEN I run something like synaptic, which works against gtk3, and it's the other way around. And for me painful to use.

Is there a program that works well for gtk3? My main partition is a bunsenlabs helium that I've done half the "don't break debian!" list to and frankensteined up. I have a more pristine one I use for other stuff, and an installation of mint on the hard drive too.

(Hi, I'm Phil, and I'm a dist-a-holic...)

Anyway, it would be nice if the widget selection screen in "Customize Look and Feel" would work for showing both gtk2 and gtk3 themes, so that you could at least try to unify them one way or another. (I wouldn't want the thing to force the issue, I would just want to expand the options, not contract them).

#2 2020-02-17 07:28:21

ohnonot
...again
Website

Re: Appearance setting suggestion/questions...

phil_in_la wrote:

Anyway, it would be nice if the widget selection screen in "Customize Look and Feel" would work for showing both gtk2 and gtk3 themes, so that you could at least try to unify them one way or another.

This is true.
In effect, one needs to look at the theme's folder and make sure it contains both gtk2 and gtk3 subfolders.

However, your problem with synaptic could come from the fact that synaptic needs to run as root, and thus uses root's GTK theme.
You can try - not sure it'll work - to do the following:

$ sudo su -
# cd
# ln -s /home/phil_in_la/.gtkrc-2.0
# mkdir -p .config/gtk-3.0
# cd .config/gtk-3.0
# ln -s /home/phil_in_la/.config/gtkrc-3.0/settings.ini
# exit
$

edit: yep, it works.

Last edited by ohnonot (2020-02-17 07:33:34)

BL quote proposals to this thread please.
how to ask smart questions | my repos / my repos | my blog
---
Thank you for posting direct image links!

Board footer