You are not logged in.

#1 2020-02-10 07:57:52

damo
....moderator....

New Guide posted for Lithium users

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

It is a Closed thread, so any comments or suggestions can be posted here...

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#2 2020-02-10 08:43:42

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Re: New Guide posted for Lithium users

Excellent!

Added a link to my sig.

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

#3 2020-02-10 09:11:26

Jimbo_G

Looks great! A very small suggestion for the first screenshot (might be unnecessary hand-holding but for completely new users it could be useful) is to annotate the image with some text and arrows showing what the Conky is, Tint2 panel, etc.

#4 2020-02-10 13:29:32

damo
....moderator....

Jimbo_G wrote:

Looks great! A very small suggestion for the first screenshot (might be unnecessary hand-holding but for completely new users it could be useful) is to annotate the image with some text and arrows showing what the Conky is, Tint2 panel, etc.

That had occurred to me, so I'll get on to it wink

EDIT: Done

Last edited by damo (2020-02-10 16:39:45)

#5 2020-02-10 17:49:53

DeepDayze
Like sands through an hourglass...

Very well done, Damo!

Real Men Use Linux

#6 2020-08-13 12:22:33

beng

again, thumbs up!
Thanks damo

#7 2020-11-02 08:49:33

rbh

Everyday tasks, like dispaly-settings, mixer-setting; changing output is missing.

Some advertisment for the excelent menu-choice: "? help & Recources", could spare some Newbies unnecessarily perplexety.

// Regards rbh

#8 2020-11-02 10:54:56

damo
....moderator....

rbh wrote:

Everyday tasks, like dispaly-settings, mixer-setting; changing output is missing.

Some advertisment for the excelent menu-choice: "? help & Recources", could spare some Newbies unnecessarily perplexety.

All those things are to be found in the main menu. At what level of detail should we stop hand-holding?

A new user who needs to be told to use "Help & Resources" is unlikely to have read a Lithium guide, or have bothered to explore the Menu, before making a help request. IMHO.

#9 2020-11-02 12:32:56

rbh

damo wrote:

At what level of detail should we stop hand-holding?
A new user who needs to be told to use "Help & Resources" is unlikely to have read a Lithium guide, or have bothered to explore the Menu, before making a help request. IMHO.

I hav done much thinking about "pedagogical clarity". Worked as a teacher in the late 70's. Arranged IT cources, when my Psychiatric Clinic moved from netware/dos, to netware/win 3.1. When the psyciatric ward closed down, I moved to the countys IT-department. Had often to over the phone guide a user. I have for many years been volontary "IT Coordinator" in a nonprofit organization. Arranged some classes and writen tutorials.

Yes, many new users, seems not to read the forum rules, have not searched the forum or the net for solution, before they ask in the forum. Some has glanced the information. Some has searched without finding.

If the same basic questions have to answered repeatedly, I think we have to consider the level and structure of information.

A wiki like https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Main_page, would be absolutely best, but a lot of work.

It was a reflection.

// Regards rbh

#10 2020-11-02 13:37:32

sleekmason

rbh wrote:
damo wrote:

At what level of detail should we stop hand-holding?

I hav done much thinking about "pedagogical clarity". Worked as a teacher in the late 70's. Arranged IT cources, when my Psychiatric Clinic moved from netware/dos, to netware/win 3.1. When the psyciatric ward closed down, I moved to the countys IT-department. Had often to over the phone guide a user. I have for many years been volontary "IT Coordinator" in a nonprofit organization. Arranged some classes and writen tutorials.

Yes, many new users, seems not to read the forum rules, have not searched the forum or the net for solution, before they ask in the forum. Some has glanced the information. Some has searched without finding.

If the same basic questions have to answered repeatedly, I think we have to consider the level and structure of information.

A wiki like https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Main_page, would be absolutely best, but a lot of work.

It was a reflection.

This is correct.  No assumptions can be made about the skill level of new users.  The basic level of information regarding the setup and basic customization should/must? be available to the newcomer, else they will go somewhere else, negating the point of doing any of this.

Basic level setup is why new people stick around.  They think that's the groove until they learn something new:)

I love the idea of the wiki.  These things don't have to be done fast.  There are so many of us on the Bunsenlabs forums (I guess most linux forums), who are prolific writers who would be happy to contribute articles for inclusion. I know I would, over time, if given access.

#11 2020-11-03 04:47:10

johnraff
nullglob
Website

rbh wrote:

This is a fair point, I think. If we can improve our docs with a certain - hopefully minimal - effort, and it saved work later, it might be a worthwhile payoff. Putting the basic stuff where new users are most likely to find it, possibly with some duplication...

There is also a discussion to be had about how best to distribute information between this forum (and its various areas) and the built-in BL help files. The latter are available offline of course, but the former are more easily maintained without requiring package updates. (There are also some BL man pages.)

It is indeed a great deal of work to maintain a wiki.
CrunchBang used to have one. It was quite messy - though contained a lot of useful content - and at one point machinebacon and I were working on rationalizing it (at the same time another member was working in parallel unknown to us). But Corenominal, the #! dev, decided one day to end it. I was somewhat annoyed at the time, but I think he had a point that the #! community was too small to support a wiki ala Arch. So much more so for BL.

#12 2020-11-05 03:32:07

hhh
Meep!
Website

We should streamline the forum before even talking about a wiki. We have cruft, and we haven't posted many lithium-specific guides (note, @damo, bravo for your work so far on this)...

I'll try to write up a plan for consolidating and progressing the forum. I think that's a better idea than starting a new Wiki. Give me a couple of weeks, I have a lot going on.

#13 2020-11-05 06:28:17

johnraff
nullglob
Website

hhh wrote:

I'll try to write up a plan for consolidating and progressing the forum.

Great idea! (But cover your Real Life stuff first.)

#14 2020-11-06 02:53:39

hhh
Meep!
Website

^ Heard that, thanks John!

#15 Yesterday 01:02:16

emarin

Thanks for the guide, and good job with the Distro!.

Board footer