You are not logged in.

#1 2020-02-03 18:53:30

dbvolvox
Member
From: England
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 74
Website

Metadata Scrubber for Thunderbird Attachments

I have started looking at this since gmail recently rejected my emails, they had an editable document as an attachment, on security risk grounds. The .pdf version was fine as the metadata load is low.

I can view and remove document metadata with mat2 in a terminal but wondered if anyone has anything that works with email attachments on the fly?

Thanks, David

Offline

#2 2020-02-04 01:14:32

johnraff
nullglob
From: Nagoya, Japan
Registered: 2015-09-09
Posts: 7,146
Website

Re: Metadata Scrubber for Thunderbird Attachments

I don't know, but does packing the document inside a .tar.gz or .zip file help at all?


...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

Offline

#3 2020-02-04 08:21:45

dbvolvox
Member
From: England
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 74
Website

Re: Metadata Scrubber for Thunderbird Attachments

johnraff wrote:

I don't know, but does packing the document inside a .tar.gz or .zip file help at all?

This from the Gmail advice..

To protect you against potential viruses and harmful software, Gmail doesn't allow you to attach certain types of files, including:

    Certain types of files, including their compressed form (like .gz or .bz2 files) or when found within archives (like .zip or .tgz files)

and

Types you can't include as attachments

To protect your account, Gmail doesn't allow you to attach certain types of files. Gmail often updates the types of files not allowed to keep up with harmful software that is constantly changing. Some examples include:

.ade, .adp, .apk, .appx, .appxbundle, .bat, .cab, .chm, .cmd, .com, .cpl, .dll, .dmg, .exe, .hta, .ins, .isp, .iso, .jar, .js, .jse, .lib, .lnk, .mde, .msc, .msi, .msix, .msixbundle, .msp, .mst, .nsh, .pif, .ps1, .scr, .sct, .shb, .sys, .vb, .vbe, .vbs, .vxd, .wsc, .wsf, .wsh

Offline

#4 2020-02-04 15:28:32

damo
....moderator....
Registered: 2015-08-20
Posts: 6,124

Re: Metadata Scrubber for Thunderbird Attachments

^ A workaround could be to upload your "problem" file to eg Dropbox or G Drive, and put the d/l link in your email.


Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

Offline

#5 2020-02-04 17:15:33

brontosaurusrex
Middle Office
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 2,070
Website

Re: Metadata Scrubber for Thunderbird Attachments

Old trick was to rename .zip to .pip (or similar).

Online

#6 2020-02-06 08:56:29

dbvolvox
Member
From: England
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 74
Website

Re: Metadata Scrubber for Thunderbird Attachments

Apparently it is common practice for legal offices to scrub all attachments leaving their offices.
When posting documents on their websites are forum members removing metadata?

Offline

#7 2020-02-06 09:05:40

damo
....moderator....
Registered: 2015-08-20
Posts: 6,124

Re: Metadata Scrubber for Thunderbird Attachments

^ I do that with uploaded images.


Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

Offline

#8 2020-02-06 12:47:49

clusterF
Member
Registered: 2019-05-07
Posts: 539

Re: Metadata Scrubber for Thunderbird Attachments

dbvolvox wrote:

I have started looking at this since gmail recently rejected my emails, they had an editable document as an attachment, on security risk grounds. The .pdf version was fine as the metadata load is low.

I can view and remove document metadata with mat2 in a terminal but wondered if anyone has anything that works with email attachments on the fly?

Thanks, David

What was the format of the editable document?

Last edited by clusterF (2020-02-06 12:57:41)

Offline

#9 2020-02-06 15:46:34

dbvolvox
Member
From: England
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 74
Website

Re: Metadata Scrubber for Thunderbird Attachments

clusterF wrote:
dbvolvox wrote:

I have started looking at this since gmail recently rejected my emails, they had an editable document as an attachment, on security risk grounds. The .pdf version was fine as the metadata load is low.

I can view and remove document metadata with mat2 in a terminal but wondered if anyone has anything that works with email attachments on the fly?

Thanks, David

What was the format of the editable document?

It was a Word .doc created in LibreOffice

Offline

#10 2020-02-07 02:36:22

DeepDayze
Like sands through an hourglass...
From: In Linux Land
Registered: 2017-05-28
Posts: 959

Re: Metadata Scrubber for Thunderbird Attachments

Another way is encrypting the attachment by placing the document inside a password protected zip file. 7-Zip makes password protected archives easily.

You can then send the recipient the password in  a separate email.

I do this if I need to send scripts attached to an email.

Last edited by DeepDayze (2020-02-07 02:37:55)


Real Men Use Linux

Online

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB