You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-25 19:42:22

laanan

[SOLVED] RDP issues

Hello Folks,

I am trying to work from home and would like to RDP connect to my work computer. The firewall at work is a Sonic Wall, and I have a tunnel functioning (via Sonic Wall's Net Extender app) and all the proper login/IP info. I am new to all this networking stuff, as well as to Bunsen Labs, and so I am having trouble with the final step of actually being able to see my work computer's desktop.

I have tried the VNC viewer application to connect, but it just disappears/does nothing when I press enter (after a looong wait). I tried freeRDP, which causes my whole system to crash, or at least eats up like 95 - 99% of my Ram (total available is 3.75gigs). I then followed a short thread here and tried RealVNC, which gave a connection refused error.

So...I am thinking that I am missing a piece of the puzzle. Probably a VNC viewer is not correct, since I don't think the Sonic Wall is a VNC server...not sure why freeRDP implodes...Sorry for asking for such basic advice, but if anyone has any tips, that'd be great.

#2 2020-01-25 21:25:45

iMBeCil
WAAAT?

Re: [SOLVED] RDP issues

What is your remote host OS? BL? Win10?

Postpone all your duties; if you die, you won't have to do them ..

#3 2020-01-25 22:11:18

laanan

The server is windows server 2012, the firewall is a Sonic Wall, and the two workstations are Windows 10 and Windows 7.

#4 2020-01-25 22:49:56

iMBeCil
WAAAT?

No idea about Sonic Wall ....

To establish local (bunsenlabs, I suppose) <---> remote connection, you have to connect with compatible protocols.

Windows OS has preinstalled 'Remote Desktop' software with its protocol. Usually, it is not enabled by default on Windows. Google 'enabling remote desktop on windows' to enable connection ('server') on remote computer.

Your other attempt, VNC-based software and protocol: VNC server has to be installed on remote Windows. It doesn't come preinstalled on Windows. I wouldn't recommend this, as it is not secure by itself; to properly secure it one usually must open ssh tunnel; it is pretty standard stuff, but PITA to setup, especially as one has to find ssh server for Windows.

OK, let us assume you have enabled Remote Desktop on remote WIndows. And you have open 3389 port on your firewall. Now, you have to find a good client for your local, linux (bunsenlabs), computer. Unfortunately, I'm away from my laptop and I can't remember what I use (I will find out tomorrow), but there are several alternatives: 'rdesktop', 'xrdp', 'remmina' ... see if one of them works.

#5 2020-01-26 01:13:09

laanan

All the above makes sense. Thank you for putting it in basic terms that I can understand!

I have tried several RDP clients, now. For rdesktop and remmina, the connection fails. rdesktop gives no info, remmina says "ERRCONNECT_CONNECT_FAILED [0x00020006]." I'm cross checking my login info with the target computer info. Also searching the web for possible answers...

Any idea why with Net Extender a java process starts to hog all my ram? Even with Net Extender idleing/keeping the tunnel just open but no active RDP, over time it starts to ramp up ram consumption until it pretty much crashes BL.

#6 2020-01-26 03:41:18

laanan

Solved! My IT guy gave me the wrong IP address... |-(

So, now it works. Lessons learned, in case some future vagabond wanders across this thread, and is as dumb as I am:

1) Net Extender for an SSL connection through Sonic Wall works, even though Debian is not officially supported. Use the CLI interface instead of the GUI, as for some reason Java (which is what the GUI is made from) slowly but surely sucks up all your ram.

2) Make sure the Sonic Wall side is set up correctly for Net Extender.

3) Once you have a tunnel going, you need an RDP client that works on BL. I tried a bunch and was sent astray by the fact that I had the wrong IP address all along, but I am not in the mood to go back and check which ones work. I landed on Remmina. I had to install snap and snap core to be able to run it, but it has a nice, clean, and intuitive GUI. My understanding is that the SSL tunnel gets you into the target computer's server, and then you use a remote desktop client (like Remmina) to connect to the target computer's local IPv4 address. My IT guy set up the Sonic Wall end with a different user/pass for the SSL tunnel than for my user login to the system, but I think theoretically you could have the user/pass be the same for both.

5) Please comment/correct any of the above if I am in error. I am really new to all of this.

Thanks!

#7 2020-01-26 13:34:41

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

Normally when a question is solved we ask the users to "Edit" the first post and add [SOLVED] to the Subject.  Only the person who created the OP and moderators can do that.

You have 4 posts and you said you are new, I did this for you.
But please bear in mine - it is proper forum etiquette.

Glad you fixed it and VERY glad you posted HOW.  So many forget that part.

The sun will never set if you keep walking towards it. - my son
Being positive doesn't understand physics.

#8 2020-01-26 14:03:35

iMBeCil
WAAAT?

@laanan: glad you worked it out.

I remember doing it first time ... it was lots of trial and error. What I distinctly remember was: first attempts should be done while sitting next to 'remote' computer smile because there is so many things which can be wrong on both local and remote computer.

Sonic Wall: it is apparently a firewall (and switch?) hardware ... any operating system (Linux, BSD, Win ...) should be 'compatible' with this.

SSL tunel? Sounds interesting, and adds a layer of protection of the connection. (Although, people claim original RDP is now secure enough, as it uses all relevant security protocols. At least I think it does ... I haven't heard of Win RDP protocol breaches ...)

And, yes, as Sector mentioned, thanks for explaining what you have done (although it is a bit specific, as depends on SonicWall hardware ...).

(BTW, got my laptop: I'm using rdesktop; can't exactly remember why this, and why not remmina. But, then, I rely on CLI command to fire up my connections.)

Last edited by iMBeCil (2020-01-26 14:05:07)

#9 2020-01-26 16:09:02

laanan

Thanks so much!

#10 2020-01-26 16:42:33

iMBeCil
WAAAT?

^You're welcome  wink

Board footer