You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-18 19:18:20

hhh
Meep!
Website

A Brief History of BunsenLabs

I've done a similar post before, but that was years ago and should be updated...

Philip Newborough, aka @corenominal, an Englishman, has an idea for an Ubuntu distrolet that is a hodge-podge desktop based on Openbox. The year is 2008 or 2009. He pushes it, he creates his own repo containing his own custom packages, he creates his own forums, he creates the logo and name CrunchBang #! (a play on shebang, pound-bang, etc...) and it catches on like wildfire.

2010, he switches to Debian stable...

https://distrowatch.com/?newsid=06155

The name of his "squeeze" respin was named "Statler", and after that the name of his "wheezy" respin was named "Waldorf". And #! and The Muppets would never part again.

@corenominal tires of online harassment and realizes that for what he's working on he should go back to Ubuntu, or even more sinister operating systems, like Windows and Mac.

On Feb. 6, 2015, he announces The End...

That said, when progress happens, some things get left behind, and for me, CrunchBang is something that I need to leave behind. I’m leaving it behind because I honestly believe that it no longer holds any value, and whilst I could hold on to it for sentimental reasons, I don’t believe that would be in the best interest of its users, who would benefit from using vanilla Debian.

The #! forums reel in shock. WAAAAAA?????

A realization occurs among us that Philip is wrong, that the customizations he's made to make his fake desktop work actually work really well, and that the simplicity of the system makes up for the slight lack of integration.

The Beginning happens. @johnraff and @damo recrute a Team and create a script to get things started. @twoion handles all web-presence out of the gate, no questions asked, it's amazing. I'm brought on board for graphics and themes with damo. @ututo creates an inspired logo, I create a PayPal account for donations. Sector11 creates conky configs.

Tooting my own horn here, I create the first BL LIVE ISO. No programming education, no idiot savant, I was unemployed and I used my time to grok the manual and the Debian mail lists. And grok, and grok... and grok some more.

Having an ISO was a game changer... it quieted the doubters, it started giving us donations and support, we were (initially unfavorably) reviewed on DistroWatch, we were invited to become an Official Debian Derivative, and we received Linux press coverage and video reviews.

Tooting @johnraff's horn here. Ladies and gentlemen, John Raff. This man has put in so many hours. If ever there was a man to represent "A labour of love", that man is John Raff. I used the British spelling, it fits better.

I'm very excited for Lithium's Official Release. Thanks to the recent financial donors, it's very nice having a cash cushion. Thanks to our Forum members for your support and for making this forum a nice place to be a part of.

We're approaching our 5 year anniversary.

Thanks to the BL Team, you're family.

#2 2020-01-18 19:34:44

damo
....moderator....

Re: A Brief History of BunsenLabs

Yo, bro!

If BL didn't exist it would have to be invented smile

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#3 2020-01-18 19:50:41

Dobbie03
Resident Metalhead
Website

Good read @hhh.  Happy almost Anniversary.

One of the ArchLabs dudes
Obssesive Metalhead and practiced beer drinker
\m/
Dobbie's Suckless

#4 2020-01-18 20:05:19

juancuyo

Is there a new version of Bunsenlabs based on Debian 10 for 32-bit PC? Is a Bunsenlabs possible in Devuan?

#5 2020-01-18 20:21:55

unklar

damo wrote:

Yo, bro!

If BL didn't exist it would have to be invented smile

I'm glad to be here.  cool

#6 2020-01-18 20:30:23

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

Hmmmmmmmmm

The sun will never set if you keep walking towards it. - my son
Being positive doesn't understand physics.

#7 2020-01-19 01:46:41

johnraff
nullglob
Website

juancuyo wrote:

Is there a new version of Bunsenlabs based on Debian 10 for 32-bit PC?

There will be a CD-sized 32bit iso, so computers which cannot boot off a usb stick can still install BL. This will be a trimmed-down iso in order to get the size down to the 700MB needed to fit on a CD, but after installing it will be possible to get the full BL package set, if desired, by installing bunsen-meta-all.

Is a Bunsenlabs possible in Devuan?

Yes, pretty much, but a couple of packages which use systemd will have to be omitted. There is no official Devuan support, but there are some Devuan users on the forum who might be able to help.

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#8 2020-01-19 02:56:04

johnraff
nullglob
Website

@hhh can I add a litle bit of pre-Crunchbang background?

Back in 2006~7 or so, Ubuntu was making Linux accessible to a whole new group of people - including yours truly - but the Gnome Desktop environment was definitely too heavy for a lot of the current hardware. (I soon moved to Xubuntu with XFCE, but got interested in systems that might be usable with, say, 128MB of RAM.)

A lot of people were playing with Openbox as an alternative interface, and a certain K. Mandla was especially helpful with all kinds of ideas to make Ubuntu run faster. His blog "Motho ke motho ka botho" was great, but while still online (and still worth reading IMO), was sadly discontinued in 2015. sad

Mandla was aware of Crunchbang, and Philip was clearly reading his blog. Check these two posts, and note some familiar names in the comments. smile
https://kmandla.wordpress.com/2008/04/06/fool-me-once/
https://kmandla.wordpress.com/2010/04/1 … -archbang/

Looking around the Wayback Machine:
Philip's first blog post was in Sept. 2007, but the release notes for CrunchBang 7.10.01 appeared in Jan. 2008.
A couple more blog posts show Philip's approach, but it seems clear that #! was first meant for his personal use, and chance had it that a lot of other people found that it hit the sweet spot for them too.

Wayback Machine's archives here:
https://web.archive.org/web/sitemap/htt … /archives/
It's not that easy to browse, but eventually you can find eg forum posts for 2007, which are interesting. Javascript makes it hard to post direct links though.

I guess that's enough for a Brief History... roll

#9 2020-01-19 03:59:37

MALsPa

johnraff wrote:

His blog "Motho ke motho ka botho" was great, but while still online (and still worth reading IMO), was sadly dropped in 2015. sad

I thought it was great, too -- I had that blog bookmarked.

#10 2020-01-19 08:49:49

ohnonot
...again
Website

hhh wrote:

post #1

Great text, sweet and informative. This should be stowed away on every BL install, be part of the .iso.

BL quote proposals to this thread please.
my repos / my repos

#11 2020-01-19 15:04:25

C#Coder4ever
BL Keyboard Troll

Wow almost 5 years already? I'm getting old lol

Peripheral, SBC, and router addict lmao
Keeb & SSD Discussions | GitLab

#12 2020-01-20 03:19:41

hhh
Meep!
Website

johnraff wrote:

@hhh can I add a litle bit of pre-Crunchbang background?

A lot of people were playing with Openbox as an alternative interface, and a certain K. Mandla was especially helpful with all kinds of ideas to make Ubuntu run faster. His blog "Motho ke motho ka botho" was great, but while still online (and still worth reading IMO), was sadly discontinued in 2015. sad

Mandla was aware of Crunchbang, and Philip was clearly reading his blog. Check these two posts, and note some familiar names in the comments. smile
https://kmandla.wordpress.com/2008/04/06/fool-me-once/
https://kmandla.wordpress.com/2010/04/1 … -archbang/

Let's also mention how influential urukrama's blog was. December, 2007!

https://urukrama.wordpress.com/openbox-guide/

#13 2020-01-20 03:24:33

hhh
Meep!
Website

Sector11 wrote:

Hmmmmmmmmm

Yeah, you did a lot more than "created conky configs". I'm just so ignorant about conky and I don't really remember much from The End and The Beginning! monkey

#14 2020-01-20 04:29:03

johnraff
nullglob
Website

hhh wrote:

Let's also mention how influential urukrama's blog was. December, 2007!
https://urukrama.wordpress.com/openbox-guide/

Yes! That was very helpful.

#15 2020-01-20 14:27:46

glittersloth
...village idiot

Is urukrama still around? Good guy (at least virtually). Fondly recall many a conversation with him and some others over at the old spiralinear.org.

#16 2020-01-20 14:39:33

clusterF

Another notable mention.

http://lxlinux.com/

#17 2020-01-21 04:17:24

hhh
Meep!
Website

glittersloth wrote:

Is urukrama still around? Good guy (at least virtually). Fondly recall many a conversation with him and some others over at the old spiralinear.org.

I think I remember him responding to a query of mine on his blog back then. But that might be Gan Solo levels of Delusions of Grandeur messing with me. His last post was four years ago...

https://urukrama.wordpress.com/

Anyway, you can blame gutterslob/glittersoth for all of my involvement in BL. He told me about #! and Siduction. He had the cool scrots, the cool themes, he knew his stuff. I went with Siduction. And then I came back. cwm, what a nightmare, I couldn't get it to theme.

Thanks to the Glitterminati. A very subversive orginization. I'd say I'm a fan, but Rule Number One of Figh... Ha! Not this time, squares!

#18 2020-01-21 04:52:20

cog
Developer
Website

^He's a top hand

The worst day of fishing is better than the best day at work.

#19 2020-01-21 17:26:41

glittersloth
...village idiot

Personally, I think #! wouldn't have had the dedicated following it enjoyed (which BL later inherited) if not for the great work of Baba Ji.

hhh wrote:

He told me about #! and Siduction.

Wasn't it Sidux at the time, before they split off to Aptosid and Siduction? Can't really recall when or why the split happened though. I think I took a short excursion to Source Mage at the time, and then came back and they'd already renamed. I know I was on their forum. Very German, that place - efficient and robotic (in a good way). Good place to get a heads up on whatever Sid would break.

cog wrote:

^He's a top hand

Might be an axe murderer in real life, for all you know.

Last edited by glittersloth (2020-01-21 17:36:14)

#20 2020-01-22 03:34:15

hhh
Meep!
Website

I ran Aptosid, thanks for reminding me. That also reminded me that you were a big fan of grml at the time. Man I miss running Xfce with murrine transparency on sid. I don't even have any scrots saved.

https://grml.org/

#21 2020-01-22 05:52:36

cog
Developer
Website

glittersloth wrote:

Might be an axe murderer in real life, for all you know.

I'm a real bonafide snow shovel murderer.  Except I murder our summer decorations that are burried in 3 ft. (1 meter for the sane world) of pack.  Dang, I'm gonna be in big trouble when the snow melts.

Last edited by cog (2020-01-22 05:53:26)

The worst day of fishing is better than the best day at work.

Board footer