You are not logged in.

#1 2015-11-14 08:04:34

Eon

[SOLVED] Windows 10 and BunsenLabs dual boot

Hello there,

thank you for this helpful guide!
Though, I am trying to install BL alongside my Windows 10 (dual boot) and I am confused at "Install GRUB" part.
If I install GRUB to MBR, will it cause any problems to boot my Windows 10 properly?

Has anybody tried this dual boot installation scenario? ;p

Last edited by Eon (2015-11-21 19:01:48)

#2 2015-11-14 09:07:02

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Windows 10 and BunsenLabs dual boot

Hello Eon, welcome to the forums smile

I have split your question off into it's own thread.

Unfortunately, BunsenLabs uses the upstream Debian live ISO image as a base and this does not currently support UEFI (or Secure Boot).

If you are running Windows 10, you almost certainly have a UEFI system -- did you have to enable "CSM" or "Legacy" mode to get the ISO image to boot?

Is your machine UEFI?

You can check by booting the live ISO and running this command and posting the output here:

sudo parted -l

You may have to install parted

I think the installer should recognise Windows automatically in a non-UEFI system.

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#3 2015-11-14 16:41:19

ghorvath

I am dual-booting Windows 10 and Bunsenlabs on two of my machines, both are installed in only CSM mode. UEFI was only available for one of my laptops, but it was buggy, and I could have bricked the laptop with using UEFI, so I went to CSM. I do not experience any downside of this.

What I did was the following: in BIOS choose CSM only. I booted the Win10 install media, created a partition for it and installed. Then I put in the BL-RC1 install media, rebooted, and installed Bunsenlabs next to windows. You should take care not to remove the already existing partitions you created for windows (and in fact, one extra partition will exist, because windows will create it automatically). For the GRUB just choose install to MBR, it will recognize your windows and you will be able to choose it from the GRUB menu.

Good luck!

#4 2015-11-14 16:47:54

Eon

Holy mother, Finally found my post. I thought it got deleted or something, then I started searching like crazy everywhere on the forum for my post! Sigh, nvm.

On topic: Hello, Head_on_a_stick.

I suppose, my machine is legacy BIOS type, as I have checked it from my Windows 10 instead. I pressed "Win + R" and typed "msinfo32".
From there, I checked my BIOS mode which says "Legacy".
BIOS

And no, I didn't have to enable CSM or UEFI while booting from live USB stick. I just directly loaded it by pressing F2 at system startup.

So, what is your kind suggestion for me? Should I just install GRUB on MBR? Will it cause any startup failures or crash of my existing Windows 10? tongue

Looking forward for your kind reply!

#5 2015-11-14 16:51:25

ghorvath

Eon wrote:

So, what is your kind suggestion for me? Should I just install GRUB on MBR? Will it cause any startup failures or crash of my existing Windows 10? tongue

See my post above. I just installed GRUB to MBR, and GRUB found the windows partition. I have an entry for windows in the GRUB menu, and I can choose it to load windows at boot.

#6 2015-11-14 17:00:33

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Do as ghorvath says, it shouldn't be a problem if you are booted in non-UEFI mode.

Sorry you couldn't find your post -- I should have sent you a PM.

EDIT: Just to be sure, you can back up your MBR from the live ISO.

Use this command:

sudo dd if=/dev/sda of=mbr.txt bs=512 count=1

This will create a file called mbr.txt that should be copied to a USB stick.

The file can then be copied back off the USB stick and restored from the live ISO by using:

sudo dd if=mbr.txt of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=1

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2015-11-14 17:19:31)

#7 2015-11-14 17:07:22

Eon

ghorvath wrote:
Eon wrote:

See my post above. I just installed GRUB to MBR, and GRUB found the windows partition. I have an entry for windows in the GRUB menu, and I can choose it to load windows at boot.

My apologies. I am about to follow your suggested steps just now!
I will update on any success/error! big_smile

#8 2015-11-14 17:20:59

Qsaws

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Unfortunately, BunsenLabs uses the upstream Debian live ISO image as a base and this does not currently support UEFI (or Secure Boot).

Will it happen soon ? Or can we expect a tutorial on how to install BunsenLabs on a windows10 install ?

I just got a new laptop to remplace my old one which was and is still running crunchbang it had Windows8.1 and i upgraded to Win10.

I'm now looking for the best way to install BunsenLabs on it without breaking Win10, i don't really understand everything ghorvath says to do.

#9 2015-11-14 17:31:31

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Qsaws wrote:

Will it happen soon ?

No idea, sorry.

Debian are working on it but there are some issues.

Qsaws wrote:

Or can we expect a tutorial on how to install BunsenLabs on a windows10 install ?

As long as Windows is installed in non-UEFI mode then installation should be straightforward -- just create some space for Debian on the disk.

If Windows is installed in UEFI mode then either install in non-UEFI ("CSM" or "Legacy") mode and convert the system afterwards (see the guide linked in my signature for details) or install using a Debian netinstall ISO image and johnraff's script.
https://github.com/BunsenLabs/bunsen-netinstall

#10 2015-11-15 18:27:53

Eon

Hello.

I have been trying to install BL after our previous conversation, and now I am facing a different issue. 2Qs1hoW.gif

At the time of install in "partitioning" part, it says that my system already has 4 primary partitions and hence it is unable to create a 5th primary partition. Even Gparted says the same message.

My current partitions list is as follows:
1. /dev/sda1 is a 100MB "System Reserved" partition possibly created by Windows. It is a primary partition & it has "boot" flag.

2. /dev/sda2 is 25GB primary partition, serves as C: drive of Windows 10.

3. /dev/sda3 is 450MB primary partition & it has "diag" flag set, so this could possibly be Windows Diagnostic partition sort of thing.

4. /dev/sda4 is 272.55GB primary partition. I use this space to store all my important documents, files & media. It is mostly full. I don't know how this partition became "primary".

Apart from these 4 primary partitions, I had created one 8GB unallocated partition, solely for BunsenLabs installation but at the time of installation, it shows this to be "unusable" lol. Don't know why!? Why it does not allow me to create a 5th primary partition?? O_o

Now I am already googling to solve this partition issue since yesterday, but I still haven't solved it yet and I don't have much knowledge about partition thing either. If somebody can guide me to the solution, I would be honestly grateful.
jgfNNOk.gif

P.S. forgive me for being a total noob!

#11 2015-11-15 18:40:20

damo
....moderator....

You can only have 4 Primary partitions. But you can use one of them and have multiple extended partitions within it. If your `sda4` is mostly full, you may be out of luck, unless you do some major reorganisation.

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#12 2015-11-21 19:04:56

Eon

damo wrote:

You can only have 4 Primary partitions. But you can use one of them and have multiple extended partitions within it. If your `sda4` is mostly full, you may be out of luck, unless you do some major reorganisation.

Finally did the entire re-organising of files in /dev/sda4 and installed BunsenLabs in that partition. This dual boot just works fine.
Thank you everyone for your kind help! big_smile

Board footer