You are not logged in.

#1 2019-12-19 20:21:30

Colonel Panic

[Solved] Installing Portabase and other obsolete packages

Hi! I use a simple database program called Portabase, which always used to be included in Debian Stable (up until Stretch) but apparently no longer is, because I failed to install it when I tried to do it in Lithium (or in one or two other Buster-based distros I've tried).

I know it's possible to install packages from distros more recent than the one you're using, through a Debian facility called backports. Is it possible to do the opposite, through some sort of "frontports" facility?

Thanks in advance,

CP.

P.S. I can't promise an immediate response to anyone kind enough to reply as I'm a bit behind with my Christmas stuff, but I promise I will get back to you before long.

Last edited by Colonel Panic (2019-12-20 07:39:22)

#2 2019-12-19 20:43:05

damo
....moderator....

Re: [Solved] Installing Portabase and other obsolete packages

I think you mean "oldstable"? portabase is in "stretch (oldstable)"

But once it has got too far behind it likely won't be available any more, although you may be able to build it from source (it is on github).

There is a newish version on github: https://github.com/jmbowman/portabase/r … /2.0_final, with the latest commit 2yrs ago. You could try installing that with gdebi.

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#3 2019-12-20 07:38:47

Colonel Panic

"There is a newish version on github: https://github.com/jmbowman/portabase/r … /2.0_final, with the latest commit 2yrs ago. You could try installing that with gdebi."

Thanks, that one worked! I've installed it in both CrunchBang and Neptune and it works well. (I didn't need to install it in Bunsen because portabase installs with apt.)

I'm marking the thread as solved now, but when I've got some time I might have a go at building the Debian 10 portabase package from source.

Thanks for your help anyway,

CP .

Last edited by Colonel Panic (2019-12-20 07:41:00)

#4 2019-12-20 16:49:47

rbh

Colonel Panic wrote:

"There is a newish version on github: https://github.com/jmbowman/portabase/r … /2.0_final, with the latest commit 2yrs ago. You could try installing that with gdebi."

Thanks, that one worked! I've installed it in both CrunchBang and Neptune and it works well. (I didn't need to install it in Bunsen because portabase installs with apt.)

Just to clarify...

Bunsenlab Helium, is based on Debian oldstable (v. 9, stretch).
Bunsenlab Lithium is based n dDebian Stable, Buster, v. 10.

Portabase, can as root bee installed from Debian repository, with synaptic or aptitude, or either of cli commands:

apt-get install portabase  # oldstyle
apt install portabase

or from disk, with gdebi, dpkg-www, or one of following cli commands:

dpkg -i portabase_2.1+git20120910-1.1_amd64.deb
apt install ./portabase_2.1+git20120910-1.1_amd64.deb

But, however you choose to install, whenever you add a nbew deb package tio your system it is an installation...

From debian stable (Buster, or BunsenLab Lithium), you can not install portabase from standard repositories.

// Regards rbh

#5 2019-12-22 07:43:32

Colonel Panic

Thanks for replying rbh, and for the names of the packages I needed which I was able to find and install with gdebi.

Some time in the future, I'd still like to have a go at building a Buster package of Portabase from source, if the other packages needed to compile it are still available in Buster.

Last edited by Colonel Panic (2019-12-22 07:48:38)

Board footer