You are not logged in.

#1 2019-12-17 21:36:22

Naik

grub "font characters not in ascending order 32 <= 32"

Hey folks!

I seem to be the only one having trouble to make any font work in grub.
I already searched the webs but there are little to no entries referring this problem and the only suggestion seems to let grub create a new font which did not change anything (except the numbers like 0<=0) and the default font is shown. reinstalling grub didn't work either.

To clarify one thing. When using normal boot menu with any given timeout this isn't much of a problem because the error just won't be shown. Only when i set timeout to zero to not show any menu the error is shown and stabbing my sense of beauty in the back.

Has anyone of you experienced the same problem and is holding the valuable knowledge of a workaround?
I found out that grub2-mkfont has two options called

-c, --asce=,NUM/
    set font ascent 
-d, --desc=,NUM/
    set font descent 

but since I have no idea how bitmap fonts are processed and am not even a native English speaker, I have no clue how to work with them or if they are even related to my problem at all...

thanks in advance for your time

naik --greetz

Last edited by Naik (2019-12-18 15:25:39)

"Kaum macht [Mensch]* es richtig, funktioniert es sofort!"
BL-Kitchen on GitHub

#2 2019-12-20 06:27:07

ohnonot
...again
Website

Re: grub "font characters not in ascending order 32 <= 32"

I don't think your thread title has anything to do with font ascent/descent (that's how much of each character is above an imagined zero line, or below it).

FWIW, I tried to make my own grub font a few years back. The best I ever got was a font that worked but did not include the characters required to make the frame around the menu. Aesthetically pointless.
IIRC, people said  that grub-mkfont is half broken anyhow and one should use grub's graphical UI building capabilites (which allows to use normal TTF fonts).

Since I'm not a multibooting distrohopper, I switched to syslinux ages ago and haven't looked back.

If you want to solve this you need to show us the exact commands used (preferably with a -verbose switch) and the source of the font used.

BL quote proposals to this thread please.
how to ask smart questions | my repos / my repos | my blog
---
Thank you for posting direct image links!

#3 2019-12-20 09:32:09

unklar

Years ago I started working with Grub2 because of the background image.
A very good guide is the current Wiki. It should also suit you as a native speaker.
However, I have not followed the change of the font.

https://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/GRUB_2/Auss … nd-Groesse
https://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/GRUB_2/Auss … hriftarten

Good luck!   smile

#4 2019-12-23 18:10:54

Naik

ohnonot wrote:

[...]

If you want to solve this you need to show us the exact commands used (preferably with a -verbose switch) and the source of the font used.

The main problem is that this appears to each and every font in use. Even with a clean install and the default font.
When i tried making my own I copy/pasted what have been found on the wikis

sudo grub-mkfont -v -s 10 -o /boot/grub/mono_10.pf2 /usr/share/fonts/truetype/freefont/FreeMono.ttf
[sudo] Passwort für naik:         
Font name: FreeMono Regular 10
Max width: 10
Max height: 11
Font ascent: 9
Font descent: 3
Number of glyph: 4093

"Kaum macht [Mensch]* es richtig, funktioniert es sofort!"
BL-Kitchen on GitHub

Board footer