You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-30 23:41:19

rickster1006

Elementary Home Networking Question

Hello BunsenLabs Citizens, I have an elementary home networking question that I could use some assistance with.  I live in a 3 floor townhouse & recently had cat-6 installed, to improve connectivity in the house where wifi performance drops.  Basically, I ran one cat-6 cable from my office on the upper floor down to my living room (where my fios router is).  Both ends of the cat-6 cable have walljacks.  I also had another cat-6 cable run from my basement, upto my living room (where fios router is).  Both ends of this cable also have standard walljacks.  I was planning to have the two walljacks (1 from upstairs office, & other 1 from basement) connect to my NetGear 8-port gig switch (non-managed).  The switch would then connect into a gig ethernet port on my fios router.  For whatever reason, I get no link whatsoever, from any of the walljacks in the house, when I plug my laptop with a cat-6 into the walljack upstairs, or from the wall jack downstairs.  I have a really simple lan tester, that seems to work fine, when I test the wiring from the wall jack in the office down to the living room.  Conversely, ther test also works for the wire from basement to living room.  So, my question is, should this even be possible?
Thanks in advance,
-Rickster

#2 2019-12-01 00:15:07

Sun For Miles

Re: Elementary Home Networking Question

Hello, I agree with the idea of using switch as an active medium that connects wires that go through the house. The reason is not only the logical managament, but also physical problem proofing - in a case of any type of electrical discharge or shortcircuiting the cabling you would most likely fry either only 1 port of the switch or the whole unmanaged switch, which is a lot better scenario than wiping out your internet gateway.

rickster1006 wrote:

I have a really simple lan tester, that seems to work fine, when I test the wiring from the wall jack in the office down to the living room.  Conversely, ther test also works for the wire from basement to living room.  So, my question is, should this even be possible?

Depending on the line tester you used, it is possible that it shows lines as working while you are unable to use it for any type of data connection. Did you use basic tester that only beeps, or the one that tests all 8 wires in cat6 cable?

The sequence of crimping the wires should not be random, and there are guidelines to be followed. From the description you gave us, first thing that came to mind is that some wires used for data connection are having a loose contact or are switched up.

Señor Chang, why do you teach Spanish?

#3 2019-12-01 14:09:08

rickster1006

Hello. Thanks for the response. To test the cat6 cabling I used a Velleman LAN tester (RJ45/12/11/10). It was cheap, but seems like it worked well, & seems like it tests every wire (excepts for the ground which I’m assuming should not be there in standard cat6).  As far as I can tell all the wires seemed to be in the right sequence, on both ends of the cable. Coincidentally, I tested with a brand new cat6 cable & that seemed to me the tester worked properly.

#4 2019-12-01 17:39:22

Sun For Miles

Just to check if we are on the same page, you tested both cables that go to the switch and to the laptop?

path 1: netgear switch --- cat6 straight cable --- walljack1 in the living room ---  walljack upstairs --- cat6 straight cable --- laptop
path 2: netgear switch --- cat6 straight cable --- walljack2 in the living room ---  walljack in the basement --- cat6 straight cable --- laptop

Result: no ports were up on laptop, no lights were up on switch for the respective ports (no orange/green/blinking).

If using the system of elimination, I'd plug the laptop to the switch with all the cables and ports involed (switch --- cable[1,2,3] --- laptop). If all of those work as expected then the walljacks and cable path in the walls would be the only variable left to doublecheck. Useful information would be if there are any sharp turns in the cable path in the walls between the walljacks (cables could be damaged), and if the length of the both paths is close or longer than ~100 meters (length of all the cables combined: [switch to walljack] + [inside walls] + [walljack to laptop]).

If your switch does not bring ports up with plugging cables directly to the laptop, try connecting laptop to the FIOS router using those.

Grounding and shielding should not be a problem in the house installation since you need a lot of interference and discharge to cause problems, so I'll rule that out for now.

Señor Chang, why do you teach Spanish?

#5 2019-12-07 14:43:54

rickster1006

I’ve been doing some additional research. As I understand it, regular cat6 by default is a straight through cable (I’ve got an Insignia cat6 cable & there is no mention anywhere if it’s a straight through cable. I just made an assumption that it is). Given this, I thought a cat6 crossover cable run from wall jacks to switch might work. There are a couple interesting things I learned in doing so. The first being that I got sporadic link from the switch to wall jack with the new cat6cable (it never negotiated a gig connection. At most it was 10M). The other interesting thing from my laptop is that I get link at 1gig, & can actually see the dhcp broadcast traffic going out the Ethernet interface. Obviously I never get an address from the DHCP server on the Fios gateway. I actually changed the media type (half, & full duplex) & some of the other settings, but it never made a difference.  At this point it seems like it’s time to open up the wall jack & see what cable is there.

#6 2019-12-07 15:30:14

rickster1006

Coincidentally, the straight thru (I believe) cat6 cables I've been using are:
Insignia - 8' Cat-6 Network Cable.  Model: NS-PNW5608.
For the crossover cat6 cables, I've been using:
Monoprice Cat6 Ethernet Patch Cable.  RJ45, Stranded, 550Mhz, UTP, Pure Bare Copper Wire, Crossover, 24AWG.
I honestly don't know if any of this makes any difference.

Board footer