You are not logged in.

#26 2019-11-22 12:27:57

rbh

Re: Browser Blues - FIXED

brogild wrote:

I would however appreciate an answer to my seahorse question above in case I want to go back to autologins.

This is how it looks for meo n Helium when I start seahorse:

zKgdQuDl.png

"Lösenord" is swedish for "Password". When you start seahorse, you will ha an locked "Login. Mine is unlocked. To unlock,

• right-cklick on "Login"

• choose "Change password"

• key in your password

• leave new password blank

Now your lock will be open and you will not be asked for password when starting chrome if you have been automatic logged in.

Beforethat, you can try to start chrome with

$ google-chrome-stable --password-store=basic %U

More about that on https://www.linuxonlinehelp.de/chrome-b … -seahorse/

brogild wrote:

I'm also interested in the claim above that I "don't need flash for YT", I thought it was pretty central.

In 2015, Youtube droped flash in favor of html 5, as standard. More at https://www.theverge.com/2015/1/27/7926 … eo-default

// Regards rbh

#27 2019-11-22 13:04:29

ekzotic

It broke password autofill for me.
So the way I fixed it
/.config/google-chrome/Default/
remove
Login Data
Login Data-journal

#28 2019-11-22 13:04:43

brogild

ekzotic wrote:

I thought youtube is html5 based now.

Possibly it is and I could then get rid of Flash, the player looks the same though and has the same functions.
This would still leave the unexplained difference in behaviour between Firefox and Chromium

Did you try apt-get update?  smile
Also you may think about upgrading to Buster.

I've been lazy and this has done the trick. I've also been lazy and been using the bl-welcome script for updates, assuming that it first refeshes the package lists, obviously it doesn't. Someone here thought it was odd that I used this for updates, but If I find something that works once, I'll keep using it.
I'm a bit paranoid with updates and disconnect one of my RAID drives to use as a backup if anything fails, so I won't be updating just yet. From past experience though, I doubt if it will solve the streaming issue - that goes quite a way back now.

Regarding Buster, I'll wait till Lithium and then start with a fresh install.

#29 2019-11-22 13:25:13

ekzotic

I think the difference between Chrome and Firefox in Youtube is codec used (but it may be the same) and hardware acceleration which relies on your gpu. You may check your gpu usage in nvidia settings/gpu utilization while playing youtube video. For me fullscreen 1080p video uses around 20% gpu and 20% cpu.

#30 2019-11-22 13:26:33

brogild

rbh wrote:

"Lösenord" is swedish for "Password". When you start seahorse, you will ha an locked "Login. Mine is unlocked. To unlock,

• right-cklick on "Login"

• choose "Change password"

• key in your password

• leave new password blank

Now your lock will be open and you will not be asked for password when starting chrome if you have been automatic logged in.

Beforethat, you can try to start chrome with

$ google-chrome-stable --password-store=basic %U

More about that on https://www.linuxonlinehelp.de/chrome-b … -seahorse/

Thanks for this, autologin isn't greatly important for me but sometimes I go out whilst it is updating and it's nice to come back to a system that is up and running - also, on my last update, a grub dialogue got in the way of it completing.

rbh wrote:
brogild wrote:

I'm also interested in the claim above that I "don't need flash for YT", I thought it was pretty central.

In 2015, Youtube droped flash in favor of html 5, as standard. More at https://www.theverge.com/2015/1/27/7926 … eo-default

Looks like I can get rid of flash then, although now and again I use other sites such as bitchute or dlive, I don't know if these use it.
The livestream behaviour of firefox vs chromium is still a mystery. It's harder to test though because it only happens after watching for a while - and it has to be live. It's not just like firing up a standard video.

#31 2019-11-22 13:42:39

brogild

ekzotic wrote:

I think the difference between Chrome and Firefox in Youtube is codec used (but it may be the same) and hardware acceleration which relies on your gpu. You may check your gpu usage in nvidia settings/gpu utilization while playing youtube video. For me fullscreen 1080p video uses around 20% gpu and 20% cpu.

I'm not using nvidia.
lspci -k | grep -iEA5 'vga|3d|display' gives me:

VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
	Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller
	Kernel driver in use: i915
	Kernel modules: i915
PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200/2nd Generation Core Processor Family PCI Express Root Port (rev 09)
Kernel driver in use: pcieport

.. and I don't know how to view GPU usage. However, I believe my processor (Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2120) is integated with the graphics somehow, so I don't expect any shortcomings, unless the Linux driver doesn't use that facilty.
Again though, this doesn't really explain why firefox stutters badly and chromium doesn't, unless it is my installation of flash (which I installed for Firefox on when using bl-welcome) which I'm led to believe I don't actually need.

ETA: I don't know why 'Hewlett Packard' is mentioned in the hardware unless there is something proprietry added. This would not matter though, I've had the same problem on several different systems

Last edited by brogild (2019-11-22 13:46:55)

#32 2019-11-22 13:53:31

ekzotic

You should update your Firefox for sure and disable flash plugin.
If you are worried about losing your data backup it. It's also nice to have separate partitions/disks for data and systems. And have 2 systems installed just in case. (How I do it and it always worked)

Last edited by ekzotic (2019-11-22 13:58:27)

#33 2019-11-22 16:06:13

brogild

ekzotic wrote:

You should update your Firefox for sure and disable flash plugin.
If you are worried about losing your data backup it. It's also nice to have separate partitions/disks for data and systems. And have 2 systems installed just in case. (How I do it and it always worked)

I'm fully up to date now and have disabled flash. The plugin was set to "ask to activate", and this never came up, so I assume it was never needed whichever site I went on.

I used to have two partitions like you say, but now I have a RAID1 array this doesn't really help me as I couldn't find any software to look into the RAID partition to make changes or use as part of a re-installation.
I started to use the 'disconnect disk' method because a few years back an update to a buggy version of mdadm meant that a single disk would not start up alone - this was not apparent until I had a disk failure. It took me a while to work out how to rescue the system by converting the partition back to a regular one, which turned out to be trickier than I thought. Having a spare disk with the old system is much less stressful.

Regarding the firefox/chromium thing. I'm presently testing this on a laptop and fully updated system with a livestream. After 1/2 hour with firefox the CPU usage shot up to 100%, with chromium it remains at 31% after 2 hrs

#34 2019-11-22 16:56:01

damo
....moderator....

brogild wrote:

.. Someone here thought it was odd that I used this for updates, but If I find something that works once, I'll keep using it.
I'm a bit paranoid with updates and disconnect one of my RAID drives to use as a backup if anything fails, so I won't be updating just yet....

someone wrote:

If the tool you use is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail

Use the appropriate tool for the job! And if you are nervous about updating then use the --simulate switch.

Remember that Debian is adamant that "Stable" should be "stable" when updating, and breakages should never occur.

Be Excellent to Each Other...

FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#35 2019-11-22 17:13:54

brogild

The mdadm issue I described above was on a Mint system, so I suppose we can blame Ubuntu for that.

Still though, it's hard to account for all scenarios and combinations when offering updates. The RAID array ran absolutely fine until a disk failed further down the line, I suppose we're all testers in a way.

#36 2019-11-22 17:27:32

ekzotic

Only livestreams? Do you have addons installed? Maybe the webpage itself with chat overloading firefox. Or cache problem..

#37 2019-11-22 17:38:49

brogild

ekzotic wrote:

Only livestreams? Do you have addons installed? Maybe the webpage itself with chat overloading firefox. Or cache problem..

Yeah, it's strange isn't it. It happens when there is no chat there though.

Funnily enough, something has changed since I last took a close look at this. Previously the RAM filled up and the swap started being used (hence the stuttering), which made it look like a cache problem. Now though, the RAM seems stable and the processor is overloading.

When I discovered it didn't happen with chromium, I stopped trying to solve it (and assumed it was a flash thing). I have downloadhelper, at one time I suspected that this was causing problems as it monitors video content, I think I'll experiment with turning this off,

Last edited by brogild (2019-11-22 17:42:11)

#38 2019-11-22 17:58:57

ekzotic

also you may try
layers.acceleration.force-enabled=true
in
about:config

#39 2019-11-22 18:53:37

brogild

^ Turning off downloadhelper has made a significant difference to the CPU usage, so it looks like I've nailed it.
This made me suspicious of what it is actually doing with all that headroom, but just watching a normal video brought this CPU usage down to chromium levels, so I'm guessing that when it is monitoring live content it goes into overdrive because it's not made for that (it takes a while to get there though).
I'm not going to be getting rid of it though, but I might turn it off now and again. It's become synonymous with firefox for me (the chrome version doesn't work) and I've built up a nice library of videos because of it.

Thanks to all here who have encouraged me to re-focus on this, I'd actually given up on it.

ekzotic wrote:

also you may try
layers.acceleration.force-enabled=true
in
about:config

That's some real Firefox deep-lore there, I'll probably try this. I've experimented with some of these settings, but to quote one from memory like this is quite impressive!

Last edited by brogild (2019-11-22 18:54:04)

#40 2019-11-22 19:15:33

ekzotic

From the memory lol.
Anyway glad it helped. There are other ways to dl YouTube videos like webpages, so you don't have to use broken (incompatible) add-on.

Last edited by ekzotic (2019-11-22 19:17:05)

#41 2019-11-22 19:23:55

brogild

ekzotic wrote:

From the memory lol.
Anyway glad it helped. There are other ways to dl YouTube videos like webpages, so you don't have to use broken (incompatible) add-on.

Yes, I've tried one or two. Even though dlh has got bloated and annoying since v5 (and CPU intensive it seems), it quickly gives me several resolutions to download in, not the default full sized one which result in very large files that I don't need.
The 'companion app' still doesn't work in that it fails to mux the audio and video once downloaded but, like it not working on chromium, I assume that is because Windows versions get the most attention.

Last edited by brogild (2019-11-22 19:25:25)

#42 2019-11-22 19:40:34

rbh

brogild wrote:

Yes, I've tried one or two. Even though dlh has got bloated and annoying since v5 (and CPU intensive it seems)

Test package youtube-dl, "downloader of videos from YouTube and other sites".

Run from CommandLine. Does not take much resources.

// Regards rbh

#43 2019-11-22 20:33:43

brogild

rbh wrote:
brogild wrote:

Yes, I've tried one or two. Even though dlh has got bloated and annoying since v5 (and CPU intensive it seems)

Test package youtube-dl, "downloader of videos from YouTube and other sites".

Run from CommandLine. Does not take much resources.

I tried this but found that it was inconsistent at detecting the various resolutions of videos, and sometimes it didn't detect them at all.

Youtube alter their way of embedding/encoding video files from time to time, so an application has to adapt to be able to detect these, dlh seems to update pretty often so has been keeping up with this. Youtube-dl is pretty old which is why I think it has problems.

#44 2019-11-23 01:58:21

johnraff
nullglob
Website

brogild wrote:

...using the bl-welcome script for updates, assuming that it first refeshes the package lists, obviously it doesn't.

Actually it does - or should.
After the "HELLO" page, sudo password prompt and network test, the next page has a title "UPDATE SOFTWARE SOURCES AND UPGRADE INSTALLED PACKAGES". Does that not work for you?

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog, idle Twitterings and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#45 2019-11-23 09:17:07

brogild

^^ Yes, I got that wrong. On my main system I only update every couple of months due to my practice of degrading the array first.  It seems this time I left it longer than I thought, making me think my package list was reasonably up to date.

From now on I'll be updating packages regularly, even if I don't do an actual update. The 'simulate' switch sounds interesting but I'm not sure if it enables me to properly test the system in the way that an actual update does with a disconnected disk as backup.

ETA: I'll say 'fallback' instead of backup, I know some people get tetchy about regarding RAID as backup.

Last edited by brogild (2019-11-23 11:11:00)

#46 2019-11-23 11:34:40

rbh

brogild wrote:

I asume you mean VDH VideoDownloadHelper.

brogild wrote:

[youtube-dl] I tried this but found that it was inconsistent at detecting the various resolutions of videos, and sometimes it didn't detect them at all.
Youtube alter their way of embedding/encoding video files from time to time, so an application has to adapt to be able to detect these, dlh seems to update pretty often so has been keeping up with this. Youtube-dl is pretty old which is why I think it has problems.

I use packaged version, I have never under all years experienced any problem. If the skript support downloading from the site it has allwys detected all qualities. Default it downloads best quality, which I usualy prefer.
If you are depended on latest version, do a manualy installation, to get latest update. I think it is updated more frequent than VDH. Last update of youtube-dl was yesterday...

// Regards rbh

#47 2019-11-23 12:52:31

brogild

Thinking back, I may be thinking of a version that is a Firefox extension (and only works on pre Quantum FF's). If I want to download a best quality version then I can discover the download url using vlc, but this results in files that are much bigger than I need (I've got quite a large library by now).

I may experiment with the commandline version**, but I find getting into the nuts and bolts of things makes me focus on other things than video content - ie, I get anal, so I prefer to stay in the world of gui in this matter.

It turns out that VDH's overhead is only about 5-8% most of the time, it's only during livestreams that it goes a bit crazy, so I can live with this now that I've pinned it down. It has become pretty bloated and I never use the companion-app functions, I remember when it was neat and small (before v5.0) and if it makes another similar leap I might consider other options.

**Synaptic is offering me v2017.05.18.1.1, which doesn't detect anything, I'm sure there are later ones but, while VDH isn't irking me too much, I don't feel the need to go looking.

Last edited by brogild (2019-11-23 12:58:52)

#48 2019-11-23 14:47:34

brogild

^^ Too late, curiosity has got the better of me. it turns out that it wasn't the version of youtube-dl that was causing a problem. On 'updating' I've got exactly the same version, so it must be an updated script that was needed because it's working fine now.
Using the switches to discover and download various formats has turned out to be quite straightforward too.

#49 2019-11-23 19:12:49

rbh

brogild wrote:

^^ Too late, curiosity has got the better of me. it turns out that it wasn't the version of youtube-dl that was causing a problem. On 'updating' I've got exactly the same version, so it must be an updated script that was needed because it's working fine now.
Using the switches to discover and download various formats has turned out to be quite straightforward too.

Oldstable (stretch), carries version 2017.05.18.1-1. When on oldstable, I think it is more important to enable backports. Stretch-backports have version 2019.01.17-1.1~bpo9+1, same as in stable; buster. How to manage backports on https://backports.debian.org/Instructions/

But, you do not need to look for newer version of youtube-dl. I gave you the link for manual installation: https://ytdl-org.github.io/youtube-dl/download.html. It is as easy as:

$ sudo curl -L https://yt-dl.org/downloads/latest/youtube-dl -o /usr/local/bin/youtube-dl
sudo chmod a+rx /usr/local/bin/youtube-dl

To update manualey installed youtube-dl (often weekly):

$ sudo youtube-dl -U

You will get answer if it is uptodate, otherwise it will update.

Maybe you should consider a better practise for updating/backup?

Security-updates should not wait more than an week...

// Regards rbh

#50 2019-11-23 19:24:37

rbh

When dealing with intermittent overloads, it is good to start monitor the system in  real time.

One simple system monitoring toool is glances: https://nicolargo.github.io/glances

Last edited by rbh (2019-11-23 19:24:54)

// Regards rbh

Board footer