You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-20 12:25:24

brogild

Browser Blues - FIXED

I have two issues with browsers. The first I think is a general Linux problem, and the second possibly specific to bunsenlabs.

For a couple of years now, I have been unable to use Firefox comfortably for watching livestreams (mainly Youtubes), they always start suttering badly after watching a while. I used to put this down to memory shortage, but now I have 12Gb (and conky there on the desktop) I notice that the processer, a decent one, is at around 90% usage.
I've become resigned to this and now fire up Chromium (or Google Chrome) which never has this problem. Upon hearing that Chrome uses a different version of flash, I stopped trying to fix this.

The bunsenlabs issue is gnome-keyring asking for the password every time I start it, I've seen this mentioned on here, but no fix. It's just an annoyance really and nothing major and I'm hoping it will not be present in Lithium.
If it doesn't get fixed, does anyone know how to stop it.. will deleting gnome-keyring work or is that needed elsewhere?

Last edited by brogild (2019-11-24 09:56:48)

#2 2019-11-20 13:10:59

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Re: Browser Blues - FIXED

Need some clarification. Kind of going to go all over the place here but ... I tend to do that. If the Bunsenlabs release you have doesn't already include it, look into installing inxi, then run it with "sudo inxi -Fxz" and copy/paste output here. To give people a decent overview of what you're working with on your system-hardware. What I'm getting at is Debian stable (thus Bunsenlabs) doesn't so much get along the greatest with newer hardware, so if you have such a system, you may get mucho more joy out of it at the very least getting a newer kernel + firmware packages (poss microcode version)from backports for your system. Could be graphics related too, though see below, blahblah.

I don't even have a flashplayer anything installed on FF v 70 at the moment, haven't for the last several years, youtube runs fine without it here. Not sure what flash type things BL ships, have long since despised flashplayers. Long been a buggy, crappy, privacy and security nightmare situation with them. Though of course Chrome and Chromium are going to have a better handle on it than firefox-esr. You might look into getting FF directly from Mozilla too. Also might explore removing the packages from BL related to the thing(flash), give html5 etc a go. Fact that Chrome/ium seems to run fine does indicate it's flash related. Yeppers Chrome comes with flash built in, forgot most of the specifics as it's been forever since I've bothered with a browser other than FF. Years since I've bothered with flash too. Could look over this if curious about details.

Would also go ahead and read that BL thread too but w/o a BL install much of what I'm typing is shots in dark about the flash situation, so would hold off until some of the BL team and community clarify it. Mentioned I don't/won't use a flashplayer anything. Not google's, not pepperflash this or that or any of the hackery I've seen related to the topic in gnu/Linux. I keep waiting for flashplayers to die the death everybody's been talking about for years now. Friggin thing keeps staying ahead of the bullet though ! Dratz ! DIE ALREADY FLASH/PLAYERS !!! DIE, DIEEEEEEE !!! tongue

As for the gnome-keyring thing, would you clarify what you're talking about is going on ? Asking for pass every time you start what ? Your Bunsenlabs gnu/Nix operating system install ?

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2019-11-20 16:27:31)

#3 2019-11-20 13:43:50

MALsPa

I'd try getting Firefox from the Mozilla site and see how well that works. Maybe the Firefox from the current BunsenLabs is too old?

#4 2019-11-20 16:34:53

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

See post #77 in this monster thread. Worth reading no matter what, plenty of web browser goodness through-out that sucker. Getting latest Firefox on anything Debian(based)stable on up to any other branch isn't at all hard. Been griping about people opting to continue using the firefox-esr thing forever but that's not my call. Since shortly after getting into gnu/Linux I've always had latest Firefox on everything Debian and always will/can. So can anyone else who invests some minor effort in learning how to get it done.

#5 2019-11-20 18:29:04

brogild

^^ Thanks for the answers regarding Firefox guys, but I'm pretty resigned to it now that I know Chromium works ok. I guess it's a hard problem to replicate unless you listen to lots of livestreams like I do.
I've had exactly the same problem with different distributions and over many versions of Firefox so I'm guessing it is down to Linux versions Firefox/flash vs Windows (I might do a comparison sometime).

BLizgreat! wrote:

As for the gnome-keyring thing, would you clarify what you're talking about is going on ? Asking for pass every time you start what ? Your Bunsenlabs gnu/Nix operating system install ?

Sorry I should have been a bit more clear - when I start up Chromium, a dialogue box from gnome-keyring opens up asking for the password. It's not a massive deal as entering the password works, it's just that it's a bit irritating. I've seen this mentioned by others on here so I know it's not just me.

Last edited by brogild (2019-11-20 18:30:44)

#6 2019-11-20 18:46:05

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Shouldn't be doing that to me sounds like you're launching the browser(Chromium) with sudo (or root) and that's a major no no, peeps are never supposed to run something like a web browser with privileges. Although I did it for YEARS on end.(and a gazillion other window$ users) past and present ran or still run under the admin acct. Still though it's a really bad idea. So how are you launching it ? Did you add custom keyboard shortcuts in rc.xml, menu.xml etc. Those shouldn't be using sudo(or gksudo ... pkexec etc either), may as well chown your users /home directory too, it won't hurt, in terminal ... This is the way I still do it ..

sudo chown -R yourusername:yourusername /home/yourusername

Don't launch anything like a web-browser using sudo-etc. If you were to launch them when your user is root or when logged in as root, also a BIG NO NO. That's the only reason gnome-keyring should be asking for a password when launching a web-browser that comes to mind.

PS, Removed cause it's just muddying the waters. Though griped about it in #!, griped about outdated FF here too. That's up to whoever, each end-user nixer or BL team. Either way BL's kickbutt minimal gnu/Nix goodness. smile

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2019-11-20 19:21:32)

#7 2019-11-20 19:24:21

MALsPa

brogild wrote:

^^ Thanks for the answers regarding Firefox guys, but I'm pretty resigned to it now that I know Chromium works ok. I guess it's a hard problem to replicate unless you listen to lots of livestreams like I do.
I've had exactly the same problem with different distributions and over many versions of Firefox so I'm guessing it is down to Linux versions Firefox/flash vs Windows (I might do a comparison sometime).

I recall having to do this in the past, switch to another browser (probably Chromium) for some things, with earlier versions of some distro. I felt the same, that it wasn't a big deal, just an annoyance. It actually got me into the habit of keeping more than one browser installed. Out of curiosity, which Firefox version are you running?

#8 2019-11-20 19:30:56

brogild

BLizgreat! wrote:

Shouldn't be doing that to me sounds like you're launching the browser(Chromium) with sudo (or root) and that's a major no no, peeps are never supposed to run something like a web browser with privileges. Although I did it for YEARS on end.(and a gazillion other window$ users) past and present ran or still run under the admin acct. Still though it's a really bad idea. So how are you launching it ? Did you add custom keyboard shortcuts in rc.xml, menu.xml etc. Those shouldn't be using sudo(or gksudo ... pkexec etc either), may as well chown your users /home directory too, it won't hurt, in terminal ... This is the way I still do it ..

sudo chown -R yourusername:yourusername /home/yourusername

Don't launch anything like a web-browser using sudo-etc. If you were to launch them when your user is root or when logged in as root, also a BIG NO NO. That's the only reason gnome-keyring should be asking for a password when launching a web-browser that comes to mind.

GIANT Ps, smile Like I'd said too I quit using anything flashplayer related on gnu/Linux years ago( 5 maybe more by now) and youtube has always ran great for me. Though it's up to each person what they call good enough. There is no current Firefox repo anymore, not since Debian  gnu/nix did away with the tarded Iceweasel nonsense. Though still 3 easy ways to get latest Firefox on BL (anything Debian stable comes to mind.)Direct from Mozilla, enable the repo of another fully Debian stable compatible distro, such as Linux Mint, Lmde and install from there. This will involve either apt-pinning that repo in /etc/apt/preferences or just install it with the -t flag from them and then comment out their repository in /etc/apt/sources.list etc. Lastly pretty much same deal, someone needs to enable the unstable respositories in sources.list, apt-pin them correctly and can get the latest FF from there.

I just have always gone with option 1. Get it directly from Mozilla, it runs independent of the OS's package management tools, dpkg, apt, aptitude etc. Also automatically upgrades as any new versions or as patches come out, just as it would on a window$ operating system.

I've tried (after a reboot) to launch Chromium from the terminal, and got the same thing, so root privileges are not the problem.

I've discovered though that the password request is more system-wide, I cannot launch openbox menu or use keyboard shortcuts until I enter the password. Previously I thought it just related to Chromium, Chromium is the only program that causes this issue.
The dialogue box mentions that the password was not entered on login, and I have autostart enabled. I'll try turning this off before next reboot and see what happens.

---------------------

ETA: Couldn't wait.. I disabled autostart and, after logging back in, Chromium didn't trigger the password dialogue. The issue remains that only Chromium (and maybe Chrome) triggers this, so it does seem specific to that software.

Regarding Firefox and flash, I've given up trying to fix this. Regular videos are absolutely ok, it's just livestreams, I'm content that Chromium plays them ok.

Last edited by brogild (2019-11-20 19:42:19)

#9 2019-11-20 19:46:23

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

man chown

Good luck lad, keep at it, persevere, push forward and you'll conquer !!! It's going to happen at times but it's just growing pains, so no worries. big_smile

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2019-11-20 19:48:17)

#10 2019-11-20 19:58:56

brogild

MALsPa wrote:
brogild wrote:

I recall having to do this in the past, switch to another browser (probably Chromium) for some things, with earlier versions of some distro. I felt the same, that it wasn't a big deal, just an annoyance. It actually got me into the habit of keeping more than one browser installed. Out of curiosity, which Firefox version are you running?

60.9.0 esr, but I've had the same thing with many different versions. It's only with livestreams and I know that the installed RAM fills up quickly and then the swap starts getting used - hence the buffering. Only recently I've discovered that the processor usage goes right up too.

#11 2019-11-21 01:22:04

johnraff
nullglob
Website

brogild wrote:
MALsPa wrote:

Out of curiosity, which Firefox version are you running?

60.9.0 esr

That's rather old - why are you using that version? Firefox ESR on Debian is now 68.2 - you might try upgrading.

---
As to the gnome-keyring issue, the only case I can think of where a password window might come up is if you have some passwords stored in the login keyring, but are doing a passwordless login. Usually gnome-keyring takes the password you enter at login time and uses it to open the keyring, but of course this is impossible with a passwordless login.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog, idle Twitterings and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#12 2019-11-21 02:09:05

DeepDayze

johnraff wrote:
brogild wrote:
MALsPa wrote:

Out of curiosity, which Firefox version are you running?

60.9.0 esr

That's rather old - why are you using that version? Firefox ESR on Debian is now 68.2 - you might try upgrading.

---
As to the gnome-keyring issue, the only case I can think of where a password window might come up is if you have some passwords stored in the login keyring, but are doing a passwordless login. Usually gnome-keyring takes the password you enter at login time and uses it to open the keyring, but of course this is impossible with a passwordless login.

Think the latest FF ESR is in the backports?

Real Men Use Linux

#13 2019-11-21 02:38:47

johnraff
nullglob
Website

firefox-esr 68.2 is available in the regular Debian repositories: https://packages.debian.org/search?suit … irefox-esr

There is no firefox in the backports.

John
--------------------

#14 2019-11-21 05:02:11

AndrewSmart

brogild wrote:
BLizgreat! wrote:

Sorry I should have been a bit more clear - when I start up Chromium, a dialogue box from gnome-keyring opens up asking for the password. It's not a massive deal as entering the password works, it's just that it's a bit irritating. I've seen this mentioned by others on here so I know it's not just me.

I had similar keyring issues after I upgraded from #! to Bunsenlabs, copied home over, used passwordless auto login. The keyring had issues remembering, everytime I started chromium up it would prompt for keyring password. I installed seahorse and had to explicitly set the keyring labeled as 'Default Keyring' as the default keyring ironically and that fixed the problem (previously no default was set and that was the cause of issue I believe, at least that's what stackoverflow said). I also deleted the duplicate default keyrings that were somehow made (one made each time I pressed cancel on the keyring prompt IIRC).

Also your experience with ff and youtube matches my own. Huge memory and cpu usage with longer videos,  e.g. 8 hour long music mix. Chrome didn't have that issue.

Last edited by AndrewSmart (2019-11-21 05:03:59)

#15 2019-11-21 08:56:10

brogild

AndrewSmart wrote:
brogild wrote:
BLizgreat! wrote:

I had similar keyring issues after I upgraded from #! to Bunsenlabs, copied home over, used passwordless auto login. The keyring had issues remembering, everytime I started chromium up it would prompt for keyring password. I installed seahorse and had to explicitly set the keyring labeled as 'Default Keyring' as the default keyring ironically and that fixed the problem (previously no default was set and that was the cause of issue I believe, at least that's what stackoverflow said). I also deleted the duplicate default keyrings that were somehow made (one made each time I pressed cancel on the keyring prompt IIRC).

Refraining from autologin has solved the issue for me (although I'd like to still use it). I can't find a file called 'default keyring', but there is a 'login.keyring' that I can't view because it seems to be encrypted.
Possibly autologin does not set this file and this causes the problem. Only chromium so far triggers this issue, so it's not been big enough to get me in detective mode.

Also your experience with ff and youtube matches my own. Huge memory and cpu usage with longer videos,  e.g. 8 hour long music mix. Chrome didn't have that issue.

It may be long videos too, but has emerged with me because livestreams tend to be long. After a livestream though, the stream usually remains on Youtube as a long video that can be viewed, and I don't have the same problems with the non-live version.

To those above commenting on the 'old' version of Firefox I'm using, I'm simply following the upgrade path for esr versions suggested by my system. However, I've tried the recent versions of Firefox and have the same problem.
I might try again though.

Last edited by brogild (2019-11-21 08:58:38)

#16 2019-11-21 13:50:17

ekzotic

Not sure about Firefox, in Chrome I use hardware acceleration and Nvidia drivers. - half the load of Cpu and no tears for me. Don't have experience with AMD.

#17 2019-11-21 15:56:31

rbh

brogild wrote:

Refraining from autologin has solved the issue for me (although I'd like to still use it). I can't find a file called 'default keyring', but there is a 'login.keyring' that I can't view because it seems to be encrypted.

you have installed package "seahorse"; have you tried to start the graphical program "seahorse"?
You sholud be able to edit and set a blank password on your login key. Then you won't be prompted more for the password.

I've tried the recent versions of Firefox and have the same problem.

For me, videos on FF, works both on Lithium and Helium. I have one flash-package; "flasm", installed, but not "bunsen-pepperflash".

Last edited by rbh (2019-11-21 15:56:52)

// Regards rbh

#18 2019-11-21 16:58:34

brogild

I've installed seahorse. There are two sections I'm looking at.

The first is under 'Login' and there is a section for 'Chromium safe storage' (there is also one for Chrome). The password there is already present and looks random.
The second is under 'certificates' and here I have to create an item, one of which is  called 'password keyring'. Both of these look relevent, does anyone know which one to edit?

I don't want to change anything until I'm sure in case I lock myself out of something

#19 2019-11-21 17:08:08

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Going from #! to Bunsenlabs and encountering those types of issues, it'd be in how someone went about it but having such problems is definitely an indication of not having done it correctly and would say file permissions and ownership = chown would certainly play a role. With such weirdness going on would check those things out. Could also setup a new user and migrate personal data over to that users /home etc.

Latest Firefox tends to hang out in the Debian unstable repo's. I don't use anything flash or any type of flashplayer and don't see anything like what others here are while using Firefox (v 70.01 at the moment), downloaded directly from Mozilla and run it from a directory in my users /home. Looked up one of these live stream thingy's the OP is having trouble with and even without any type of flashplayer it was running fine and using slightly less cpu than it does when watching normal content on youtube ie: like movies etc. See around 30-35% cpu load on a dual-core cpu.

Comes to installing(migrating)between major releases (ie: Stretch to Buster) the advised path has long been and as far as I'm aware still is, that people do a fresh install. Which is what I tend to do, to avoid such weird configuration conflicts and borkage. Have forever done the minimum base netinstall route, then proceed to build it up from there, so it is a PITA but only happens every few years so isn't the end of the world. A fresh start and I know there's no low level borkage or conflicts such as those being reported here.

You go to launch something and keyring constantly pops up requiring password be entered is a certain sign of bad configuration and underlying issues with the OS. Haven't installed anything flashplayer or flash related in years and years. Nothing that would apply to Firefox and youtube works fine. As to memory and excessive cpu use, the Noscript add-on would help. Though could depend on what others someone has, I stay away from adding too many of the things, they can conflict with each other or can cause all manner of odd browser borkage. Were going to do much add-on fiddling, would keep separate browser profiles, aside from my main one, with only Noscript running on it.

#20 2019-11-21 17:52:33

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Don't know anything about seahorse but it's been my considered opinion and borne out by the endless issues others constantly have with it, things I experienced while using FPer's too ... that flash is trash. Forever been a security/privacy nightmare and source of endless odd borkage and headaches for nixers. Long ago decided it was time to stop using it and thusly, also means being willing to go without anything online which can't/won't use one of the alternatives to it. If a website absolutely replies on flash to the point it'd be unusable without a flashplayer, great ... I don't need that website. Same for javascript too, though it's very rare to come across a website that won't render without clearing it or having to disable Noscript anyway. I'll move on and find something else if encounter such a site. It's poor web development practice to do things like that. Whoever wants people to visit their site for personal or profit reasons, great, make it as accessible as possible or folks will just find something else to do.

Of course Google Inc is going to champion and keep it going for their browser though. Long suited to what they do, flash cookies, super cookies etc etc. Are not a problem from their perspective, just more icing on da cake. So I say again, FLASH is TRASH, FLASH is TRASH, FLASH is TRASH !!! tongue

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2019-11-21 17:54:56)

#21 2019-11-21 21:57:15

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Pointless elaboration cont: smile

Though per usual, plenty of stuff which someone needs be aware of can come into play, in the case of streaming vids, junk like this. That being your connection and network configuration. At the moment find myself on shared wifi, a neighbor let's me ride on their connection free and it's exclusively via wireless. As such I try to show consideration and courtesy to them/others using the connection.

Tend to lower video quality on Youtube-etc. Means less bandwidth(cpu overhead and other sys resources too), thus on a somewhat crappy connection, better and smoother performance for me, taking up less of the available bandwidth for others. Besides on this old laptop the hardware(underlying software)aren't even capable of ultra-HD anyway. So trying to suck up as many resources on the connection as I can isn't going to benefit me anyway. Can obviously do the reverse in fact. Even if were the type of person who opts to be an inconsiderate/selfish turd-head. NOPE !!!

Only saying flashplayer and using outdated browsers aren't the only considerations in such a situation. Certainly are valid concerns and yep, I don need no stinkin flashplayer(s) and do need(or want)latest web browser(s)!!! Such are not the only things someone can check or do to improve things. Each their own, blahblahblah.

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2019-11-21 22:05:13)

#22 2019-11-22 08:07:28

ohnonot
...again
Website

brogild wrote:

For a couple of years now, I have been unable to use Firefox comfortably for watching livestreams (mainly Youtubes), they always start suttering badly after watching a while. I used to put this down to memory shortage, but now I have 12Gb (and conky there on the desktop) I notice that the processer, a decent one, is at around 90% usage.

brogild, if you want to fix this:

• update & upgrade your system. now.

• you don't need flash. Definitely not for YT. I recommend uninstalling it.

• we need some hardware specs:

lscpu
    lspci -k | grep -iEA5 'vga|3d|display'
    firefox --version

#23 2019-11-22 08:37:25

johnraff
nullglob
Website

^or, for firefox, this will help to figure why you don't have the latest:

apt-cache policy firefox-esr

John
--------------------

#24 2019-11-22 11:35:45

brogild

^^ Since I've discovered that chromium does not have this problem with livestreams, I'm not too concerned about fixing it on Firefox, it plays regular videos just fine. I only mentioned the Firefox thing as an introduction to the chromium password issue, which is now fixed.
I would however appreciate an answer to my seahorse question above in case I want to go back to autologins.

Regarding the version of firefox, I has assumed that my system is offering me the correct update, but looking on the Debian site the latest version is 68.2 (for esr)
apt-cache policy firefox-esr gives me:

firefox-esr:
  Installed: 60.9.0esr-1~deb9u1
  Candidate: 60.9.0esr-1~deb9u1
  Version table:
*** 60.9.0esr-1~deb9u1 500
        500 https://deb.debian.org/debian-security stretch/updates/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     60.7.1esr-1~deb9u1 500
        500 https://deb.debian.org/debian stretch/main amd64 Packages
     60.6.3esr-1~deb9u1 500
        500 https://deb.debian.org/debian stretch-updates/main amd64 Packages

I'm also interested in the claim above that I "don't need flash for YT", I thought it was pretty central.

#25 2019-11-22 12:01:26

ekzotic

I thought youtube is html5 based now.
Did you try apt-get update?  smile
Also you may think about upgrading to Buster.

Last edited by ekzotic (2019-11-22 12:16:26)

Board footer