You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-16 14:21:47

brogild

Updating omissions

MOD EDIT: Moved to "Basic Help & Support".
---

When I use the bl-welcome update script, it updates absolutely everything. Is there a way of omitting particular updates?

I'm thinking particularly of grub. The last time I updated, grub updated too and during the process I have to answer certain questions that seem to affect low-level system functions and I'm worried about messing something up, especially as I have a raid1 setup.
I'm also not bothered about updating the kernel if everything is working ok. Omitting these two alone will save time updating, especially as I have to be physically present to allow the grub update to continue.

(sorry, this should have gone in basic help, not 'other')

Last edited by johnraff (2019-11-17 03:24:38)

#2 2019-11-16 15:59:00

damo
....moderator....

Re: Updating omissions

Why are you using bl-welcome as an update tool? It is meant to be used after an install, to bring the packages on the iso up-to-date.

You can use these commands for a regular update:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

You could also use the --simulate switch to do a dry-run to see what will happen, and --no-install-recommends (with caveats).

The kernel may be updated when you use

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#3 2019-11-16 17:04:03

brogild

I assumed that the welcome tool does the same thing, but also lets me review other settings. I recall when using Lubuntu that there was a gui that let me omit certain updates - so there must be a commandline option too, also I've seen a method of avoiding kernel updates but I can't remember it.

Regarding doing a 'dry run'. I test updates by disconnecting one of my raid drives and updating the remaining one, then if all is ok after running for a while, I rebuild the array. I feel secure having an entire backup drive and this also made me less worried about the grub thing.

#4 2019-11-16 18:42:58

damo
....moderator....

brogild wrote:

I assumed that the welcome tool does the same thing,

Well, you know what they say about assuming things wink

I recall when using Lubuntu that there was a gui

And there is a gui in BL: synaptic - it is in Menu->System.

Updating grub is rarely a problem, and is done often. If you really don't like it then you can set it to be held back, as you can do for any package. But before doing that I recommend doing some reading...

Index >> Getting Started >> Basic system maintenance commands

And the Debian section in Menu->Help & Resources, eg https://wiki.debian.org/PackageManagement

#5 2019-11-16 19:46:59

brogild

I've never used synaptic for multiple updates before, just individual packages, but 'Mark all upgrades' seems to do what I want, then I can untick the ones I don't want. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction

What I call an upgrade though is moving from say Helium to Lithium, and for that I prefer to do a fresh install, which makes me do some much needed housekeeping.

#6 2019-11-16 20:08:08

damo
....moderator....

brogild wrote:

... What I call an upgrade though is moving from say Helium to Lithium, and for that I prefer to do a fresh install, which makes me do some much needed housekeeping.

Updates/upgrades/dist-upgrades just upgrade your current packages to newer versions within the same Debian Release, using the same sources. Helium -> Lithium for example would require changing your sources, which is a very different thing.

Board footer