You are not logged in.

#1 2019-10-28 17:09:51

Sector11
The Tpyo Knig Mod

[SOLVED] Going Crazy with changes Thunderbird & Gmail

I need help badly.

Now keep in mind I have changed NOTHING regarding my setup, configs, fonts ... they have been set a long time ago - other then I removed the 100+ "noto" fonts.  Do not understand why they have become a BL default.

My problems start with:

Fibertel  buying Arnet and merging that ISP system into their own.  I lost two email addresses I have been using since "lavabit" went down.  One, my wife's email she used with Thunderbird, the other that I used for Linux and other internet related stuff with claws-mail.

Got us two "gmail" accounts and for the life of me I could not/can not get claws mail to use @gmail.  GRRR!

So thunderbird it is.

WHAT A MESS: Anyone have any idea how I can clean this up?

• ↓ Inbox

• WIFE

• ME

• Inbox Local Folders

• Inbox Local Folders

• ↓ Drafts

• WIFE

• ME

• Inbox Local Folders

• ↓ Sent

• WIFE

• Sent Mail - ME

• Sent - ME

• Local Folders

• Archives

• ↓ Junk

• Junk - WIFE

• Spam - WIFE

• Junk - ME

• Spam - ME

• Junk - Local Folders

• Trash - Local Folders

• ↓ Trash

• WIFE

• ME

• Trash - Local Folders

• Trash - Local Folders

• Outbox

• ↓ WIFE

• [Gmail] <<-- greyed out

• ↓ ME

• [Gmail] <<-- greyed out

• Bunsen <<-- this I wanted under the vert first ME under Inbox :rollseyes:

• ↓ Local Folders

• ->↓  Old Folder ME

• various sub folders

• Old Folder 2

• Inbox-Local

• ↓ Old Folder WIFE

• various sub folders

• Old Folder 4

• Sent Mail-WIFE

• Sent-ME

• Old Folder 5

• Old Folder 6

Not to mention when I delete mail in Thunderbird
- it's gone but I must
- log on to Gmail using FF because the mails online are in:
Trash <--- so I delete Trash - and Gmail puts them in:
Bin <- so I delete them from Bin

What part of "Delete" does GUGL NOT understand?

Feel like I am back with Windows, spending more time "maintaining" than "using"

So I ask again of people using Thunderbird with Gmail:
Anyone have any idea how I can clean this up? and
Delete mail once and have it deleted everywhere?
- no Trash NO BIN!

EDIT: Notes
↓ indicates a folder with subfolders
the dash: word - word and word -word or word-word is reproduced as is in Thunderbird.

Last edited by Sector11 (2019-10-28 17:12:49)

BunsenLabs Forum Rules ---== I'm a Conky 1.9'er ==---
System:    Host: d67 Kernel: 4.9.0-9-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 6.3.0)
Desktop: Openbox 3.6.1 Distro: Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)

#2 2019-10-28 18:11:22

damo
....moderator....

Re: [SOLVED] Going Crazy with changes Thunderbird & Gmail

Is there a reason you don't want to bypass the local client, and just use gmail in a browser?

Be Excellent to Each Other...

FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#3 2019-10-28 20:53:50

Sector11
The Tpyo Knig Mod

I'd ditch Thunderbird if I could, ditched it when using Ubuntu for Claws ...
Got it back for my wife when we got married.
I'd ditch gmail in the blink of an eye if I had other option than yahoo, hotmail etc.
Email is Email, not web browsing.
I have been using email clients since my Windows days.

Reason: Yes, I prefer downloading the email and have my client delet it from my ISP mail server, then respond off line and "sent" my replies when done.

MUCH faster than syncing the 3 to 5 inboxes gmail seems to have for me.

Do you use Thunderbird?

#4 2019-10-28 21:08:12

Sector11
The Tpyo Knig Mod

Now I'm choked ....
OBVIOUSLY GUGL does NOT delete any emails when I tell it to.

Because of damo's and ?someone? said they got gmail with Slypheed I just installed it ...
Set up was the least painless ever ... however it downloaded 452 emails and according to Thunderbird I have 6 in my inbox and 4 unread.

I cannot win for loosing.

#5 2019-10-28 21:16:57

Sun For Miles

Hello S11, I use Thunderbird as my primary mail client for quite a while now (around 10 years). I've found it impossible to juggle 7 mail accounts at home (3 of those are my gmail addresses) through web browsers, so I came to the conclusion that for me the optimal setup would be to have a same shared mail folders structure for all the inboxes.

1) Unchecking option "Leave messages on server" for your gmail would delete message from Google servers upon downloading them through the mail client. Note that Google keeps those messages in deleted directory for 2 weeks (I think, maybe one week, it's been a few years since I've checked through browsers)
1a) Clicking "Advanced" under Message Storage will give you the option to merge account inbox with local storage
2) Glueing together all your inboxes is done by selecting respective local folder in the drop-down list

BrVNgoYm.png
13cwtKPm.png

Edit: forgot inbox merge option

Last edited by Sun For Miles (2019-10-29 08:40:55)

Señor Chang, why do you teach Spanish?

#6 2019-10-28 21:17:13

damo
....moderator....

Sector11 wrote:

Do you use Thunderbird?

I don't use an email client, I just use webmail (and a conky notifier script wink )

Be Excellent to Each Other...

FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#7 2019-10-29 03:43:38

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Sun For Miles wrote:

Glueing together all your inboxes is done by selecting respective local folder in the drop-down list

That worked for me too for years, but I think IMAP accounts can't have their inboxes merged the way POP3 accounts can. But there is a way - "saved searches". (There is also a "Unified View" but I didn't like the look of it.) Here: https://askubuntu.com/a/813740 or http://kb.mozillazine.org/Global_Inbox#Virtual_Folder

Sector11 wrote:

..."noto" fonts.  Do not understand why they have become a BL default

There was a discussion some time ago, if you search for it. I think it was about supporting display of nearly all languages.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#8 2019-10-29 03:47:13

nore
>2⁹

Sector11 wrote:

I'd ditch gmail in the blink of an eye if I had other option than yahoo, hotmail etc.

Have you looked for Protonmail and others? I'm sure you get lots of suggestions from this community.

#9 2019-10-29 06:40:58

linux_user

nore wrote:

Have you looked for Protonmail and others? I'm sure you get lots of suggestions from this community.

+1 for PM.

From what I understand OP wants to manage multiple email accounts which is a good reason to use email clients. And PM doesn't support clients unless you buy their paid plan.

@Sector11, your Thunderbird mail settings and folders seems way too many with about ~4 oldfolders. I am assuming that these folders aren't a part of your current email accounts, perhaps old POP3 account folders that you imported?. How many email accounts are currently configured to Thunderbird? And how do you want your current accounts to be configured, POP3 or IMAP? That'll help us give accurate answers.

In IMAP, mostly, the email moves to the Trash folder when you hit delete, and stays there until x number of days after which it automatically gets deleted forever. This is the default workflow with almost all email services because we can sometimes delete emails by mistake and trash is a good place to recover them from. POP3 has the option where you can actually delete the mails from the server as @Sun For Miles mentioned.

About Bunsenlabs folder: seems like it's an older folder. Why don't you just drag and drop the folder to your current ME account inbox. Give it a little time, the emails will be moved to your ME inbox folder. This drag and move will work irrespective of whether that folder is a old, live, imap or pop3 folder.

In IMAP mail services, you can even more older email to Archive folder.

Thunderbird isn't a 'bad' email client. Sure it sometimes messes with your experience with certain bugs (right now, my unified inbox isn't working while unified drafts/sent is working). But it's probably the only one for Linux that sets mailboxes easily. I've tried claws, but always got confused, and you're experiencing the same issue. Two different interfaces and two different ways they set up email. You'll get used to it.

Last edited by linux_user (2019-10-29 07:28:54)

"Blind faith to authority is the greatest enemy of truth."

#10 2019-10-29 07:04:09

ohnonot
...again
Website

S11, for once I think a screenshot could've helped in post #1.
Beyond "why doesn't gmail delete my mail when I tell it to" and "why does gmail call it Bin, not Trash" I didn't really understand your predicament.

So, just some general outlines, how I do it:

• I use IMAP. If you use POP3, not sure I can help at all. The general idea with IMAP is that what you see in your client is exactly what is on the server and vice versa. Has always worked for me. I never bother to figure out if I have all my mail stored locally, and when I change clients I always let the IMAP mechanism populate its folders (what TB calls Local Folders I do not use at all)

• What Gmail is doing, these things are only going to get worse (and they're always going to tell you it's because it's more secure that way). Bite the bullet, drop gmail. You can still tell it to forward all your mail to your new account. But use something that actually cares about customers that use Email Clients, Linux and other non-Google products. I use posteo, and I recommend it.

With all that in mind, I think it doesn't matter so much whether you use TB, claws, sylpheed, evolution... any client that allows multiple accounts.

#11 2019-10-29 16:45:30

Sector11
The Tpyo Knig Mod

nore wrote:
Sector11 wrote:

Yes, it was one of the "etc" points.  Again ... online mail.  Not what I want.  But thank you for trying.

#12 2019-10-29 18:02:28

Sector11
The Tpyo Knig Mod

linux_user wrote:

From what I understand OP wants to manage multiple email accounts...

True ...  two for now with a possible 3rd in the future.

l_u wrote:

@Sector11, your Thunderbird mail settings and folders seems way too many with about ~4 oldfolders. I am assuming that these folders aren't a part of your current email accounts, perhaps old POP3 account folders that you imported?. How many email accounts are currently configured to Thunderbird? And how do you want your current accounts to be configured, POP3 or IMAP? That'll help us give accurate answers.

Well, Mt wife does not care as long as she gets HTML content as she receives some stuff from her bank, and medical stuff that requires it.  GRRR!

You are right, there are folder there that are not part of the current mails.

Me I want pure TEXT.  But I think with TB is is one or the other, can not find a way to have one account HTML and another TEXT.  Right now my wife's is in pure text and I for the life of me (she will kill me) must get it back to HTML.  That's where claws was so awesome, pure TEXT.

Actually Claws was a dream - for me. BUT here I am ....  I think I is set up (again) have deleted my account multiple times in the past 36 hours.

Two accounts set up, TB is as slow as molasses because it has to "sync" stuff ... but... here is is ...
TB_Gmail.th.jpg
Short pixelized name is my wife, mine is the lonk one.
- I eanted Bunsen and FrankTaylor under ME in the inbox at the top but TB has it's way.

Also I'd love to know how to delete the folders in the red boxes, those ate leftovers from Ubuntu for crying out loud
Anything below the Blue Local Folder is archived email from our old fibertel account and dates back to 2010.

#13 2019-10-29 18:57:42

linux_user

Sector11 wrote:

True ...  two for now with a possible 3rd in the future.

No problem, but you need to decide and clarify whether you need IMAP or POP3 account.

You are right, there are folder there that are not part of the current mails.

Ok, that can be organized that way you want it. Assuming that you have fixed your current accounts and TB, these folders can later be moved under your current mail box if you wish. Just drag and drop (explained more later).

Me I want pure TEXT.  But I think with TB is is one or the other, can not find a way to have one account HTML and another TEXT.  Right now my wife's is in pure text and I for the life of me (she will kill me) must get it back to HTML.

You are partly right. In TB, when it comes to viewing, it's either or or for all accounts (View>Message body as), however for composition, you can configure each account separately under Main account settings>Composition and addressing  for each accounts.

Actually Claws was a dream - for me. BUT here I am ....  I think I is set up (again) have deleted my account multiple times in the past 36 hours.

Not sure why you can't connect to Gmail from Claws. As far as I know Gmail treats every client the same way - as unsecure apps. big_smile I don't have a Gmail account, so can't check it myself. Can you post a screenshot of the error you get when trying to configure Gmail?

Two accounts set up, TB is as slow as molasses because it has to "sync" stuff

It'll be slightly slow for IMAP. So I guessing your current set up is IMAP. Is that exactly what you wanted?

- I eanted Bunsen and FrankTaylor under ME in the inbox at the top but TB has it's way.

Did you try to drag the folder into Gmail account folder? Two years back, I had to reorganize about ~1000 mails from a Gmail inbox to separate folders in Gmail itself. Selecting all and dragging and dropping only hung the mailboxes. So I selected few emails (~60 of them) and dropped them into the new location. Try doing that. If it works, after some 5 or 6 such transfers, take a break. Not for you, but TB needs it, or else it hangs.

Also I'd love to know how to delete the folders in the red boxes, those ate leftovers from Ubuntu for crying out loud

You seem to have local folders for each mail box. I have 3 accounts in my TB right now and the only local folders I have are Trash and Outbox. I also see two local mail boxes below the Outbox folder. One pixelated short one belonging to your wife and a second pixelated long one belonging to you. So I presume you tried to set up your mailboxes as POP3 initially, correct?

Setting up POP3 accounts will created local inbox/sent/drafts folders for both your accounts. How about the delete option when you right click on those local folders you want to delete; do you see that option?

Anyway, your TB is in kind of a mess, but its a sortable mess. So just confirm whether you want an IMAP or POP3 set up and that's a good starting point to fix it.

Last edited by linux_user (2019-10-29 19:02:46)

#14 2019-10-30 17:47:22

Sector11
The Tpyo Knig Mod

I chose IMAP - why...I don't know I had to choose something and you said if I delete mails they get deleted - in 30 days. :rollseyes:

I can not find where to get HTML back for my wife - I'll suffer, but she needs it.

Had syphlees (sp) set up is was absolutely painless, but it left "everything" online and in fact pulled in over 300 email I had deleted from gmail using the web interface.  THIS SET OF WARNING BELLS!  Since deleted because I would still ned to go ONLINE and delete things.

Now if I can't have
> Inbox
--> Me  <<--- click on this and ......
-----> Bunsen <<-- this here
-----> FrankTaylor <<-- this here
. (other folders)
. see image in previous post
↓ Me  <<-- because Thunderbird created a new "Me" here
--> [Gmail] Greyed out
--> Bunsen <<-- this here
--> FrankTaylor <<-- this here
tis a pain I have to scroll to the bottom of the page to get to "filtered mails" while unfiltered mails remain at the top.  Why bother putting them in the now greyed out Gmail filder.

IMAP not POP3 - although "originally back in Ubuntu days who knows.

The folders in red boxes I want GONE!  All are empty but no idea how to do that.

Setting up POP3 accounts will created local inbox/sent/drafts folders for both your accounts. How about the delete option when you right click on those local folders you want to delete; do you see that option?

Option to delete doers NOT exist and these folders do NOT exist in the WEB version of Gmail.
2019-10-30_141717_S11.jpg

Did you try to drag the folder into Gmail account folder?

Why?  Almost looks like TB is doing it now.  I wanted then at the Top but TB has a bunce od "ME" folders everywhere!

#15 2019-10-30 19:38:45

linux_user

Sector11 wrote:

I chose IMAP - why...I don't know I had to choose something and you said if I delete mails they get deleted - in 30 days. :rollseyes:

Can't help it. smile All web mail providers (Gmail, Yahoo, Protonmail etc...) will put your email to the 'Trash' folder when you press delete. There it will lie or x number of days. My PM account Trash folder has mails from Jul.

Sector11 wrote:

I can not find where to get HTML back for my wife - I'll suffer, but she needs it.

Good decision.:) View>Message Body As> Original HTML for all mailboxes.

Sector11 wrote:

Now if I can't have
> Inbox
. (other folders)
--> [Gmail] Greyed out
tis a pain I have to scroll to the bottom of the page to get to "filtered mails" while unfiltered mails remain at the top.  Why bother putting them in the now greyed out Gmail filder.

You didn't have these many 'me' folders under different accounts/folders earlier. I guess you tried moving the 'me' folder as suggested and the moving didn't complete. Few here and few there. You need to verify now that all emails inside the old 'me' folder is present in the new 'me' folder under Inbox. If the mails are scattered in multiple 'me' folders, get all your 'me' folders consolidated by copying/moving them to Inbox>Me. You can see in the status bar that the emails are being consolidated - it takes time - one by one, from local to server. Wait till it's over. Be careful, copy chunk by chunk; and if you move same emails, it just creates a duplicate unlike a file explorer which will throw you a warning about an already existing file. TB will not!

The folders in red boxes I want GONE!  All are empty but no idea how to do that.
Option to delete doers NOT exist and these folders do NOT exist in the WEB version of Gmail.
https://cdn.scrot.moe/images/2019/10/30 … 17_S11.jpg

Why?  Almost looks like TB is doing it now.  I wanted then at the Top but TB has a bunce od "ME" folders everywhere!

Let's fix these now (assuming that all 'me' mails are consolidated inside Gmail Inbox). Go to account settings and confirm that no POP3 accounts are left configured. From what I know you have two IMAP accounts. So if there is a third one, it sure is a POP3 account. In such case, delete the pop3 account and if you get a pop up asking to delete the message files too, go ahead and delete them too. I am hoping that this removed those greyed out folders in your TB.

Now, go to account settings and confirm that no POP3 accounts are configured. From what I know you have two IMAP accounts. So if there is a third one, it sure is a POP3 account. If this hasn't removed your greyed out folder and the many local folders, then you should delete them from the TB profile folder. To be on a safer side, remove your imap accounts from TB and then open your profile folder (help>troubleshooting information>open directory (next to profile directory).

Here, I am hoping that you find your imap and pop3 folders. Open pop3 folder and post a screenshot of what you see there. I just want to make sure that your greyed out and local folders are present here. Please do not delete anything here yet if you aren't confident of what you're deleting. You had mentioned about an archived mailbox from your old fibertel account and dating back to 2010. You do not want to delete this by mistake.

So, if we are able are successful with this deletion, you just need to add the two imap accounts once again. You should get a clean TB with two mailboxes and your archived mailbox from fibertel.

#16 2019-10-30 19:40:17

twoion
ほやほや

johnraff wrote:

saved searches

This is indeed the way to go about creating "views" of disjunct IMAP hierarchies, aka Using More Than One Account Efficiently.

This is also implemented in notmuch as well as various webmail interfaces like Fastmail.

If you think about it, it's a very powerful and flexible approach to showing email.

What is very good about Gmail though is it's approach to "folders" -- it doesn't have any; all you're seeing is an IMAP-compatible view of Gmail inbox labels. I haven't yet seen that implemented in a good way in any other mail client (that includes UI), so you don't get that comfort in Thunderbird, and Gmail IMAP is rather famous for being "wrong" when compared to IMAP standard behavious as implemented by the main IMAP servers (Cyrus & Dovecot at this point).

Finally, while Thunderbird is a good allrounder it doesn't suit my needs very well, the fact that the font size of the email and message views cannot be adjusted without a separate addon.......way too small for my shortsighted eye smile

New Horizons

#17 2019-10-30 21:59:17

Sector11
The Tpyo Knig Mod

FrankTaylor

linux_user wrote:
Sector11 wrote:

Can't help it. smile All web mail providers (Gmail, Yahoo, Protonmail etc...) will put your email to the 'Trash' folder when you press delete. There it will lie or x number of days. My PM account Trash folder has mails from Jul.

Then I will learn to live with it ... doesn't mean I have to like it.

l_u wrote:
Sector11 wrote:

Good decision.:) View>Message Body As> Original HTML for all mailboxes.

No not a good decision, but a necessary decision for my wife.
In fact a very BAD decision

l_u wrote:
Sector11 wrote:

Now if I can't have
> Inbox
. (other folders)
--> [Gmail] Greyed out

You didn't have these many 'me' folders under different accounts/folders earlier. I guess you tried moving the 'me' folder as suggested and the moving didn't complete. Few here and few there. You need to verify now that all emails inside the old 'me' folder is present in the new 'me' folder under Inbox. If the mails are scattered in multiple 'me' folders, get all your 'me' folders consolidated by copying/moving them to Inbox>Me. You can see in the status bar that the emails are being consolidated - it takes time - one by one, from local to server. Wait till it's over. Be careful, copy chunk by chunk; and if you move same emails, it just creates a duplicate unlike a file explorer which will throw you a warning about an already existing file. TB will not!

Can not move the folders

> Inbox > Me shows 2 email at present
down below  the next "Me" box shows:
2019-10-30_184720_S11.th.jpg
(clicking on the read mailks takes me to the "Me" at the top of the page)
but under that:
> Bunsen shows Unread: 2  Total: 18
> FrankTaylor shows Unread 3 Total 47

l_u wrote:

https://cdn.scrot.moe/images/2019/10/30 … 17_S11.jpg

Why?  Almost looks like TB is doing it now.  I wanted then at the Top but TB has a bunch oh "ME" folders everywhere!

Let's fix these now (assuming that all 'me' mails are consolidated inside Gmail Inbox). Go to account settings and confirm that no POP3 accounts are left configured. From what I know you have two IMAP accounts. So if there is a third one, it sure is a POP3 account. In such case, delete the pop3 account and if you get a pop up asking to delete the message files too, go ahead and delete them too. I am hoping that this removed those greyed out folders in your TB.

Now, go to account settings and confirm that no POP3 accounts are configured. From what I know you have two IMAP accounts. So if there is a third one, it sure is a POP3 account. If this hasn't removed your greyed out folder and the many local folders, then you should delete them from the TB profile folder. To be on a safer side, remove your imap accounts from TB and then open your profile folder (help>troubleshooting information>open directory (next to profile directory).

Here, I am hoping that you find your imap and pop3 folders. Open pop3 folder and post a screenshot of what you see there. I just want to make sure that your greyed out and local folders are present here. Please do not delete anything here yet if you aren't confident of what you're deleting. You had mentioned about an archived mailbox from your old fibertel account and dating back to 2010. You do not want to delete this by mistake.

So, if we are able are successful with this deletion, you just need to add the two imap accounts once again. You should get a clean TB with two mailboxes and your archived mailbox from fibertel.

I have NO POP3 accounts or folder ... only 2 accounts:
For the sake of better names: Sector11 (Me) and MrsS11 (wife) in Thunderbird
Prior to fibertel messing up out mails with them I had
Sector11 getting POP3 emails from fibertel in clawsmail, and
MrsS11 getting all her POP3 mails from fibertel and they all went under the Blue Line "Local Folders" see in a precious image.  Now I deleted that account the emails remained.

I will NOT delete the new S11 or MrsS11 IMAP accounts as I will loose all the emails ....

I was so freaking proud of the fave that in all the time I have had my "fibertel" accounts, and through all the updates/upgrades of Linux I never lost a single mail.

Now since this has happened I have lost more than I care to think about.

Delete these - no not going to happem.

#18 2019-10-30 22:09:15

Sector11
The Tpyo Knig Mod

twoion wrote:

{··· SNIP ···}
Finally, while Thunderbird is a good allrounder it doesn't suit my needs very well, the fact that the font size of the email and message views cannot be adjusted without a separate addon.......way too small for my shortsighted eye smile

What came in the snipped section is Martian to this simple Earthling.

I just wanna get my mail ...

sent one today and my friend replied ..
his reply appeared in my wife's inbox.  GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!

I am about ready to throw the computer out the window!

What was so simple for 10+ years with my ISP's email has become a nightmare with Gmail, something I have avoided all this time!

ALL day other that Real Life stuff I have been messing with thunderbird and Gmail!!!!!

Last edited by Sector11 (2019-10-30 22:10:36)

#19 2019-10-31 09:29:59

Colonel Panic

I don't know if this is any help, but I pay 10 dollars a year for the cheapest option (Lite) of a paid-for e-mail service called Fastmail. I find it's well worth the money.

https://www.fastmail.com/login/?domain=fastmail.co.uk

I still use GMail for less important or less personal messages, but use it through webmail in my browser rather than using an e-mail client.

#20 2019-10-31 10:57:33

earlybird
ほやほや
Website

Colonel Panic wrote:

I don't know if this is any help, but I pay 10 dollars a year for the cheapest option (Lite) of a paid-for e-mail service called Fastmail. I find it's well worth the money.

https://www.fastmail.com/login/?domain=fastmail.co.uk

I still use GMail for less important or less personal messages, but use it through webmail in my browser rather than using an e-mail client.

If you're only paying $10/year at Fastmail you have been grandfathered in; new plans start at $30/year; I'm paying $50/year to use my own domain and while I wouldn't unconditionally recommend them, their service (including customer support) as well as their software is very good -- their webmail, esp. their calendar, is easily the fastest and best there is now after Gmail's demise and Microsoft's migration to their extra-slow edition of outlook.office.com. Fastmail also sponsors the development of Cyrus IMAP by employing developers so naturally they are well-versed in all things IMAP & Email.

#21 2019-10-31 11:30:20

linux_user

@Sector11

I know it gets frustrating and for the right reasons. But you have to make the transition to Gmail or any other mail providers. They aren't complicated at all. Your TB is messed, and the frustration adds to it, that's all.

Irrespective of which mail service you use (fastmail, posteo, etc.) if you need to use Thunderbird, you need to fix the mess on it right now. So let's do that.

The reason why I asked you to remove the IMAP accounts from TB is declutter your TB - something that will make it easier to delete the unwanted local folders. Deleting an IMAP account from the email client doesn't not delete the emails in your mail server. You are just removing the account from TB. Yes, the mails will disappear from your TB, but it'll be in the mail server with the same folder structure and it can be reconfigured later.

If you still do not want to delete configured accounts, at least send the screenshot of the TB profile folder. Also that screenshot of pop3 folder inside it. That can be a good starting point.

Also, I am assuming that you have a back up of your fibernet emails of yours and your wife's - those that has been configured under the blue link local folders in the 'precious' image.

Can not move the folders

Then move the emails by selecting them just like you move files inside a folder. One way or the other, all the 'me' emails should be consolidated and preferably under Gmail Inbox so that we do lose any email in the process of cleaning up TB.

Last edited by linux_user (2019-10-31 11:34:23)

#22 2019-10-31 12:56:45

Colonel Panic

earlybird wrote:

If you're only paying $10/year at Fastmail you have been grandfathered in

You're right. Sorry if I misled anyone but when I started with Fastmail in 2012 it was possible to use their service completely free (and I think I did for the first year); compulsory charges only came later. The jump from $10 to $30 a year, if it happened, would be enough to make me reconsider staying with them if not necessarily leave.

[EDIT: I've just checked my account and it's going to be $12 when billing comes due next month. Not bad but I don't recall their telling me they were going to increase their charges.]

Last edited by Colonel Panic (2019-10-31 13:01:09)

#23 2019-10-31 17:09:41

Sector11
The Tpyo Knig Mod

linux_user wrote:

@Sector11

OK ... two things have happened.

Claws-mail is configured and running with POP3 and Gmail
- however it will not remember my password like it use to.

EDIT:  Now remembering ... I did nothing other that put password in a few times.

AND my wife said get rid of all her old emails .. start fresh
BLESS HER!!!!!
... except she wants/needs he "contacts" which have been exported, just in case

Do not want to delete and start again as I will loose a lot of mail in the local folders.
So delete her account and created it again configured as a POP3 this time.

DONE!
All garbage is gone ... went into the default directory and "very carefully" selected directories making backups as I went. 

@ linux_user  - My heartfelt gratitude for putting up with me in this ...
and Sun For Miles for a good tip that got me going in the right direction

- - - that goes for everyone here actually.

THANK YOU!

[SOLVED]

Last edited by Sector11 (2019-10-31 18:22:59)

#24 2019-11-01 09:53:44

linux_user

^ Ah, finally your in peace smile

Well, thank you/you're welcome (not sure which is appropriate tongue). Apart from asking help and participating in off-topic discussions, I've not been much help to the community in terms of actually 'solving' a problem posted. This came under my 'little expertise', so just pitched in.

Last edited by linux_user (2019-11-01 09:55:18)

#25 2019-11-01 11:52:19

Sector11
The Tpyo Knig Mod

linux_user wrote:

^ Ah, finally your in peace smile

Well, thank you/you're welcome (not sure which is appropriate tongue). Apart from asking help and participating in off-topic discussions, I've not been much help to the community in terms of actually 'solving' a problem posted. This came under my 'little expertise', so just pitched in.

And I appreciated it, got my two neurons rubbing together.
My wife was like:  "What happened where'd all the empty "Local Folders" go?  It's so short now!"

Your help, your doing or your fault.  Pick an option smile

Board footer