You are not logged in.

#1 2019-10-10 14:51:34

eight.bit.al
Member
From: Prison
Registered: 2015-10-01
Posts: 627

Brave Browser

https://brave.com/

Been using it for a couple of hours. Does what it says on the box.

8bit


Fly, for a white guy.

Online

#2 2020-08-25 09:27:48

linux_user
Member
Registered: 2016-11-04
Posts: 467

Re: Brave Browser

^ How's the default ad/tracker blocking feature against noscript?


"Blind faith to authority is the greatest enemy of truth."

Offline

#3 2020-08-25 11:08:19

Martin
Member
From: Stockholm, Sweden
Registered: 2015-10-01
Posts: 462
Website

Re: Brave Browser

The ad-blocking capability is fairly OK. I see some things in Brave that does not show up in FF + uBlock Origin but not many. I don't know how much script blocking Brave has, not much compared to NoScript I think.

I use FF and Brave in parallel.

/Martin


"Problems worthy of attack
prove their worth by hitting back."
Piet Hein

Offline

#4 2020-08-25 13:03:19

DeepDayze
Like sands through an hourglass...
From: In Linux Land
Registered: 2017-05-28
Posts: 992

Re: Brave Browser

Vivaldi is another Chromium based browser as well. Anyone try it as well?


Real Men Use Linux

Offline

#5 2020-08-25 17:10:16

PackRat
jgmenu user Numero Uno
Registered: 2015-10-02
Posts: 1,276

Re: Brave Browser

DeepDayze wrote:

Vivaldi is another Chromium based browser as well. Anyone try it as well?

Yes, it's pretty good; and Vivaldi also offers an email service that is privacy oriented. They were planning to integrate the email into the browser, but I think they decided to keep them separate.


You must unlearn what you have learned.
    -- yoda

Offline

#6 2020-08-25 18:00:18

DeepDayze
Like sands through an hourglass...
From: In Linux Land
Registered: 2017-05-28
Posts: 992

Re: Brave Browser

PackRat wrote:
DeepDayze wrote:

Vivaldi is another Chromium based browser as well. Anyone try it as well?

Yes, it's pretty good; and Vivaldi also offers an email service that is privacy oriented. They were planning to integrate the email into the browser, but I think they decided to keep them separate.

Perhaps in a future release they'll integrate the email feature (I don't use it atm). Other than that it's a good browser along with Brave (which I just installed and tested and looks quite solid).

There's a build of Brave for Windows which I may test in my Windows VM.

Last edited by DeepDayze (2020-08-25 18:01:01)


Real Men Use Linux

Offline

#7 2020-08-25 20:02:12

linux_user
Member
Registered: 2016-11-04
Posts: 467

Re: Brave Browser

Martin wrote:

The ad-blocking capability is fairly OK. I see some things in Brave that does not show up in FF + uBlock Origin but not many. I don't know how much script blocking Brave has, not much compared to NoScript I think.

I use FF and Brave in parallel.

/Martin

The thing I don't like in the in-build tracker blockers on both Vivaldi and Brave is that they do not offer to separately block each script like NoScript offers. For eg, on YouTube, NS lists youtube.com, google.com, gstatic.com and doubleclick.net, which I can block individually. Brave offers a complete script blocking button switching which on will block YouTube thumbnails too. Although Brave blocks doubleclick under their 'trackers and ads' (1st link in the shield menu), I am not sure if non-tracking yet malicious scripts come under this list.

Yes, I can use NS with brave, but the point of discussion was the quality of the in-build tracking blockers. But nice to see other privacy features like tor integrated private windows. And it is way faster than tor which makes me think again whether it is a simplified version of tor. big_smile

Speed wise, I don't practically find any difference. But I've installed pretty much all the add ons I have with FF in Brave too (except Tridactyl). Will run a web.basemark.com benchmark and update soon.

Last edited by linux_user (2020-08-25 20:07:24)


"Blind faith to authority is the greatest enemy of truth."

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB