You are not logged in.

#1 2019-09-24 14:01:39

ratcheer

homed?

It looks like RedHat wants to change the way everyone manages their home directory. Let's take something else simple and make it complicated. According to the description, it is directed toward "regular (human) users".

https://github.com/poettering/systemd/b … RECTORY.md

If/when my distros implement this as default, I may have to start distro-hopping, again. I have been cured of it for about five years.

#2 2019-09-24 18:06:23

glittersloth
...always giving it to you straight

Re: homed?

Not read up on everything yet, so this is just my preliminary, uneducated take;

On one hand, I can see the appeal of your /home directory being "naturally portable between systems without any further, external metadata", particularly in the case of new storage being added to my machine. Yes, other tried-n-trusted methods already exists, but anything that speeds up and/or simplifies the process is good.

On the other hand, this looks to be a Pottyface pet project, and with his history of "lets fling feces on the wall continuously until it resembles art that we can sell to morons", I'm not sure I'd want let him anywhere near my /home directory.

I dunno. Maybe it's just a mental thing on my part. Maybe if Lennart didn't insist on this being a systemd related thing and used a proxy like Damon Wayans and named it homeyd, I'd be less apprehensive?

#3 2019-09-24 20:15:59

ohnonot
...again
Website

The files referenced do not exist, not the links, not on my systemd install.
It's just a proposal of sorts, I guess.
TBH, it doesn't sound like sth that is going to be forced onto users' home dirs, more like an extra feature that would make sense when you're administering (lots of) (user) machines.
But yeah, I can already hear the catcalls from the back of the audience: "Systemd not forced onto users? Booo!"

#4 2019-09-24 20:34:32

twoion
ほやほや

homed is a totally OK concept, especially in conjunction with the idea -- if you watched this talk: https://media.ccc.de/v/ASG2019-164-rein … irectories -- of having an user fully exist just by virtue of plugging a homedirectory, doing away with uids and password hashes in /etc/passwd & /etc/shadow. It's not just about portable homes, it's about portable users also (without the need for a directory server like LDAP/AD/...).

What's a problem though is that he is disregarding that stuff inside the home directory has dependencies on the surrounding system. For example, all the configuration my KDE desktop environment puts into ~/.config and other places below ~ will only fully work with recent versions of KDE, the mariadb PIM database Akonadi is keeping inside ~ is only compatible with mariadb>=10.4 which must be provided by the surrounding system, and so on. So unless the homedir can also require the system to have specific applications in specific versions, maybe as snaps/flatpaks, making home mobile is not going to be more practical than before.

Nice item is the automatic LUKS encryption, and the idea of providing true user data locking when locking the screen or entering standby, which is not possible when just using full disk encryption unless you turn the computer off. Which actually is the reason why I turn, when I travel with my laptop, make sure to turn it off.

At the end of the river the sundown beams

#5 2019-10-19 14:20:33

Sector11
The Tpyo Knig Mod

Maybe I'm simple minded, stop the chuckling, but there are a variety of directories under / that belong to "the system".

/home/username/ should be left alone for "username" to do what "username" wants.

I even take offence to:
/home/username/Downloads
/home/username/Music
/home/username/Videos
/home/username/Images

and rip them out of there tout de suite

EDIT: Agree with ratcheer

Last edited by Sector11 (2019-10-19 14:24:01)

BunsenLabs Forum Rules ---== I'm a Conky 1.9'er ==---
System:    Host: d67 Kernel: 4.9.0-9-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 6.3.0)
Desktop: Openbox 3.6.1 Distro: Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)

#6 2019-10-19 22:35:22

hhh
Meep!
Website

I assume everyone knows that Red Hat was recently "acquired" by IBM for several billion dollars?

https://www.redhat.com/en/about/press-r … oud-future

https://www.redhat.com/en/ibm

Did I say several billion? My bad, $34 billion in stock is a lot more than several. IBM payed $190/share (WOW!!!) for all available Red Hat common shares, the bill was THIRTY flipping FOUR frigging BILLION!

DOLLARS!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRCsHpW8LVk

#7 2019-10-20 03:23:15

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Quite some time ago, I thought, not all that recently.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog, idle Twitterings and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#8 2019-10-21 21:10:10

ohnonot
...again
Website

Sector11 wrote:

Maybe I'm simple minded, stop the chuckling, but there are a variety of directories under / that belong to "the system".
/home/username/ should be left alone for "username" to do what "username" wants.

Surprisingly, that is precisely LP's main reason for introducing homed, according to himself (I listened to a 40min presentation; it all sounds so reasonable when he explains it).

And yes, we know that he works for Redhat, a rather succesful IT company.

#9 2019-10-22 00:26:15

Sector11
The Tpyo Knig Mod

{mumble mumble} got my ~/username, don't need no homed {mumble mumble}

BunsenLabs Forum Rules ---== I'm a Conky 1.9'er ==---
System:    Host: d67 Kernel: 4.9.0-9-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 6.3.0)
Desktop: Openbox 3.6.1 Distro: Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)

#10 2019-10-22 00:44:10

DeepDayze

I think this is just another shiny thing Pottyface likes and he must already getting some backlash for it. Homed may actually make sense for corporate managed systems but not really for typical home users so there should be config options to disable it if not wanted by the distro makers.

Real Men Use Linux

#11 2019-10-23 08:29:40

ohnonot
...again
Website

^ I see no reason why this would be pushed on distro maintainers.

I must hand it to him, LP has learned to deal with the constant *cough* criticism he's getting: the first minute of this.
[ That's the presentation I was refering to in my last post. ]

Last edited by ohnonot (2019-10-23 08:30:23)

Board footer