You are not logged in.

#1 2019-08-16 03:10:37

E-can

Ibus Japanese input help

Hello everyone.

This is my first post here. My question is not at all specific to Bunsen Labs, but since this forum seems so much friendlier than others, I thought I'd ask here.

I was hoping someone here might be able to give me a few tips about how to get Japanese configured the way I want it.

I know there are several options out there for this. The only ones I have experience with are ibus-mozc and ibus-anthy.

I've used them both for years, and they work well enough. But as my preferences have changed to be more minimal and keyboard-based, I'm finding they don't quite fit my workflow as well as they used to, at least not in their default configurations. I've been trying to tinker with ibus-anthy a bit to get it more to my liking.

Basically, what I would like to be able to do is to start ibus-daemon with a keybinding.

That's easy, but just starting the daemon is not enough to get the Japanese input working properly. Installing the package im-config fixes this by exporting some variables, and probably doing some other stuff I don't really understand, but it also starts the ibus-daemon automatically when X starts, and I don't want that.

I would like to be able to do either of the following:

Keep the im-config package installed but have it not start ibus-daemon automatically when X starts.

or

Remove the im-config package and implement the same functionality some other way to get Japanese input working.

I realize the typical Bunsen Labs user probably doesn't use Japanese input, but I'm sure there have to be at least a few. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

By the way, this is the man page for im-config. It might be helpful.

#2 2019-08-19 02:25:19

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Re: Ibus Japanese input help

I do use Japanese input fairly often, but via fcitx, not ibus, so I don't know if I can help very much. I installed fcitx-mozc and everything necessary came with it, and works nicely. However, fcitx is auto-started with my sessions. It might (or might not) be easy enough to disable that, and start it only on demand, but I have no particular reason to do that myself.

Are you trying to save resources on an old machine, or is ibus interfering with your work in some way? If the latter, you might consider switching to fcitx.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#3 2019-08-20 03:02:07

E-can

Are you trying to save resources on an old machine, or is ibus interfering with your work in some way?

It's a little of both actually.

Although, my computer is a bit old, I'm not so desperate to save resources that I can't spare the few MB it takes to run ibus-daemon. It's just that I don't use Japanese input in every session, so it bugs me a bit to see resources being used that aren't really necessary. That's just my pet peeve though. I like to keep my system as light as possible, but there are certainly enough resources to run any of the input methods without breaking a sweat.

Putting that aside though, there is still one little annoyance with the behavior of the input methods I have used before. I would like the session to start in direct input mode, and then be able to toggle back and forth between hiragana and direct input with just one key. (I have no need for full-width character input, katakana etc.) With my current setup, this almost works how I want it. I have two input methods installed: Japanese-Japanese and Japanese-Anthy. Anthy lets you choose an initial mode (in my case hiragana). So when Ibus is running, toggling between the two gives me the behavior I want most of the time. The problem is, if I shut down while the selected input method is Japanese-Anthy, the next time I login Ibus defaults to that, and I end up expecting direct input and getting hiragana. It doesn't happen that often, but it is annoying when it does. Since I usually keep my panel hidden, I don't get any indication of which input method is selected. If I could start the input method mid-session with a script, I could be absolutely certain that I will get direct input when the session starts, and I could use xset to use the useless scroll lock led as an indicator so that I don't have to unhide the panel to know which input method is selected.

Ultimately it is a just minor annoyance, so to say it "interferes" with my work would be a bit of an overstatement, but it would be nice if I could get it set up exactly how I want.

#4 2019-08-20 03:13:29

johnraff
nullglob
Website

You seem to have the issue pretty well pinned down. All I can suggest is to give fcitx a try and see if it's more amenable to your needs. Or not...

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#5 2019-08-20 04:01:08

E-can

Regardless of whether I ever get this figured out, I probably will try out fcitx when I have a little more time. It seems like it is supported better and will continue to be even moreso in the future. Thanks for your suggestion.

Board footer