You are not logged in.

#1 2019-07-31 11:51:56

brogild

Wireless fix & Calamares

The first one here is a tiny addition and will enable those who experience wireless issues when live, or on new installs, to get connected straightaway. It's described here.

On the subject of being 'live' are there any plans to add the Calamares installer to the live environment, it seems functional in Debian 10 (although, admittedly, I haven't gone through with a full install yet, just half-way). I notice that some of the earlier reviewers of Crunchbang were disappointed that there was no installer in 'live', and I would think that other newcomers would expect such a thing.

#2 2019-08-01 03:50:37

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Re: Wireless fix & Calamares

Hi broglid, thanks for the suggestions.

Re: wifi.scan-rand-mac-address=no, this looks useful for Debian Stretch systems, which have wpasupplicant 2.4, but according to this blog may be unnecessary in the new BL Lithium, with Debian Buster's 2.7. In fact wpasupplicant 2.7 is available in stretch-backports, so installing that may be an alternative to editing networkmanager.conf.

Re: calamares in the live session. Calamares seems to have improved since we first looked at it, and adding it to the live environment might well be worth considering in the future. Integration with BL would need a certain amount of developer time, though, and right now we are pretty much tied up with getting Lithium released as it is. I think we ought to at least have a look at it, maybe for the next BL release after Lithium, if not before.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog, idle Twitterings and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#3 2019-08-01 08:31:58

brogild

Re: Wireless fix & Calamares

A live installer probably isn't missed by the majority of users, some of who might like the 'retro' experience of using the Debian installer, but it does sort of 'complete' the live experience for those newer to BL, or those who are short of time (eg, if you are doing testing).
My main system is RAID1 so the Debian installer is still preferable, but for single installs this would be nice. Debian still have not got this quite right for auto installs (need to manually add the boot flag to the boot partition), but I thought that now Debian are using Calamares, its time has probably come.

I like to use a multiboot environment so that the space on my USB sticks gets properly utilised (this is my preference ATM). Calamares on Debian still fails in this, but SparkyLinux 5.8  (using Buster) works flawlessly, so it's probably a small issue.

Last edited by brogild (2019-08-01 08:36:40)

Board footer