You are not logged in.

#1 2019-07-18 22:00:57

ghorvath

Packages on a fresh Bunsenlabs distro

Hi Team!

I'm wondering what packages are installed on a fresh bunsenlabs install. I have several machines running bunsenlabs, but I forgot to take the

apt list --installed

snapshot right after installation. :-(

My main reason is that I'd like to use that and the netinstall script from https://github.com/BunsenLabs/bunsen-ne … um/install to modify a fresh xfce4 buster installation to more Bunsen-like. I'm pretty sure I don't need all the features of bl, but I'd still like to see the differences.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Not to offend any of the developers, because they do a terrific job with this distro. But for clarification: I'm planning on using vanilla debian, and not planning to install any of the bunsen packages. I'm rather planning to mimic its look, feel and functionality, but with a pure xfce setting.

Last edited by ghorvath (2019-07-18 22:13:17)

#2 2019-07-18 22:44:07

damo
....moderator....

Re: Packages on a fresh Bunsenlabs distro

Have a look at the oldest archive in /var/log/apt/. On my system it is history.log.1.gz.

The BL packages can be seen here, for example: http://eu.pkg.bunsenlabs.org/debian/dis … 4/Packages

Be Excellent to Each Other...

FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#3 2019-07-19 01:38:09

johnraff
nullglob
Website

ghorvath wrote:

My main reason is that I'd like to use that and the netinstall script from https://github.com/BunsenLabs/bunsen-ne … um/install to modify a fresh xfce4 buster installation to more Bunsen-like.
---
Not to offend any of the developers...
I'm planning on using vanilla debian, and not planning to install any of the bunsen packages. I'm rather planning to mimic its look, feel and functionality, but with a pure xfce setting.

We're not offended at all. smile

BL is intended to be as modular as possible, so you can pick and mix the parts you want. However, if you're not planning to install any BL packages then the netinstall script will be of little use to you, except for the Debian package install list. Unfortunately, the netinstall script Lithium/Buster version is nowhere near ready atm. A better place to look is the dependencies of the Lithium bunsen-meta-all, listed in debian/control. That's reasonably up to date.

The look feel and functionality of BL comes from the BL packages, especially bunsen-configs. There's no other magic sauce. If you want to mimic those settings manually, it's possible but will need some work on your side. You'll have to open up the packages, or checkout the source on GitHub, investigate what they do and configure your XFCE accordingly.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#4 2019-07-19 03:35:26

hhh
Meep!
Website

It's doable, it's what I'm running now. I have no idea what my Xfce session looks like at this point, but my BunsenLabs session looks like Lithium.

Screenshot_2019-07-18_23-31-30.th.png

I've removed several daemons that Buster Xfce Live installed. lxtask was my friend.

#5 2019-07-19 03:43:46

hhh
Meep!
Website

Xfce session looks close to Buster, not too bad.

Screenshot_2019-07-18_23-41-06.th.png

Just switching to another icon set from GNOME/Adwaita changes things significantly.

#6 2019-07-19 03:57:53

hhh
Meep!
Website

To be clear, I'm not running what OP wants. I'm running an install of Buster Xfce Live non-free, then running our latest repo instructions...

https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=5546

... and finally removing unneeded packages and adding our latest themes (still in progress and unofficial). This creates 3 sessions... Xfce, BunsenLabs and Openbox.

Which session do you choose?

maniacal mad scientist laughter

#7 2019-07-19 04:46:27

hhh
Meep!
Website

Lithiumfying Xfce. The scrot took longer to set up than the theming did.

Screenshot_2019-07-19_00-42-14.th.png

#8 2019-07-19 05:59:33

ghorvath

damo wrote:

Have a look at the oldest archive in /var/log/apt/. On my system it is history.log.1.gz.

The BL packages can be seen here, for example: http://eu.pkg.bunsenlabs.org/debian/dis … 4/Packages

Thanks, I already tried this. For some reason, the log for the first couple (not sure how many) installed packages are lost somewhere. I couldn't even find the bunsen packages in the log. :-(

If anyone plans on doing a fresh install of bl soon, would you mind giving the apt list --installed command and post the output to me? Otherwise, I'll do it at some point on a VM.

@hhh: your xfce looks fantastic! This is something I'm looking for. Are you saying I'd be better off installing bl, and xfce on top of that? My slight concern in that case would be the upgrade from stretch to buster (and two years from now, from buster to bullseye, etc). I'm not sure how seamlessly it would work. To give some more background, I'm maintaining a couple machines at home (and also for other family members), so I'd like to keep all of them on the same configuration, and make sure that upgrading any of them would be virtually effortless. A complete reinstall every two years is not something I can do, anymore. :-(

@johnraff: I don't mind some extra digging. I'd like to have a system where I understand exactly what happened since the first install. So manually replicating stuff is not a problem. Thanks for the suggestion to look for the dependencies of bunsen-meta-all. I can install the important ones manually.

Thanks!

Edit: Hm, actually /var/log/installer/syslog has a lot of interesting information, I might be able to dig out what's necessary from there.

Last edited by ghorvath (2019-07-19 07:05:47)

#9 2019-07-19 18:53:45

hhh
Meep!
Website

ghorvath wrote:

@hhh: your xfce looks fantastic! This is something I'm looking for. Are you saying I'd be better off installing bl, and xfce on top of that? My slight concern in that case would be the upgrade from stretch to buster (and two years from now, from buster to bullseye, etc). I'm not sure how seamlessly it would work. To give some more background, I'm maintaining a couple machines at home (and also for other family members), so I'd like to keep all of them on the same configuration, and make sure that upgrading any of them would be virtually effortless. A complete reinstall every two years is not something I can do, anymore. :-(

Then, no, a new installation is not what you want, unless you don't already run helium. You need to upgrade/dist-upgrade from helium to lithium (see that kelaino repo post), and then when the bugs are ironed out, you're right, install xfce4...

https://packages.debian.org/buster/xfce4

If you aren't already running BL, then using the new buster Xfce Live non-free ISO from Debian worked for me, YMMV.

Post in Development for support. Good luck! big_smile

#10 2019-07-19 20:10:05

malm
jgmenu developer
Website

I did this after a fresh Helium install a long time ago.

https://github.com/johanmalm/bl-play/bl … bl-my-apps

#11 2019-07-20 02:05:25

johnraff
nullglob
Website

hhh wrote:

Post in Development for support. Good luck! big_smile

Well... "Development" is supposed to be the road ahead for BunsenLabs (and not really for support) so, depending on what the question is, "GUI and Applications", "System Admin"  or "Help and Support (Other)" might be more appropriate?

...unless an XFCE desktop is considered a possible road ahead for BL? That of course would be a quite legitimate topic for discussion.

Last edited by johnraff (2019-07-20 02:08:01)

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#12 2019-07-21 06:45:57

hhh
Meep!
Website

@gorvath, I knew I had a rough walkthrough of the dist-upgrade to lithium. This is a bit old now and not recently tested by me, but it might help...

https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=5007

Also see the official dist-upgrade notes for buster...

https://www.debian.org/releases/buster/ … -upgrading

Board footer