You are not logged in.

#1 2015-11-10 00:56:45

segt

Screen locking

Recently when I upgraded from the BL repositories, it added (updated?) bl-lock, and told me to remove xscreensaver. Whenever my screen suspends now, it always locks, despite my settings in xfce power manager. How can this be configured?

#2 2015-11-10 01:32:22

Panda

Re: Screen locking

@segt,

I've been having a few issues with the xfce pm on my netbook as well. This may sound simplistic so forgive me, in xfce pm and under the 'system' tab.. Is 'lock screen when system is going for sleep' unchecked?

“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery and today a gift...
That's why they call it the present"

― Master Oogway

#3 2015-11-10 02:21:41

segt

Yep, it is unchecked there. I didn't expect that setting to affect it anyway, as that is supposed to be for when the system sleeps and not the displays. On the next tab over, "Display", there is no setting for locking the screen. It does have the display sleep settings, which function correctly for me.

#4 2015-11-10 02:33:11

Panda

^ Yeah, the reason I mentioned it is because un-checking that box under 'system' on my netbook did have an effect on my settings under 'display'. Xfce pm works perfectly fine within my Hydrogen installation on my laptop. So, hopefully someone will come along with a more educated answer.. For us both.    smile

― Master Oogway

#5 2015-11-10 04:00:30

Dord

I've noticed a similar thing, every time I close the lid,  it suspends in about 8 seconds regardless of my settings. I haven't had the chance to further investigate yet, but the quick workaround I found is unticking 'Handle display power management' in the display tab. It stops the behavior for some reason.

As I said I didn't investigate further yet, so maybe the laptop will still suspend after some time with the box unticked, but at least it doesn't suspend instantly like it used to on my machine.

But it seems your problem is a screen lock only? Mine seems to suspend since the fan stops.

#6 2015-11-10 05:56:44

segt

I actually am using BL on both my desktop and laptop. I have the same lid closing issue on the laptop, it always suspends the machine no matter my settings.

#7 2015-11-10 06:57:12

johnraff
nullglob
Website

I have found some of these settings only respond to changes via X-p-m's interface after a reboot. neutral

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#8 2015-11-10 08:00:11

ohnonot
...again
Website

i think openbox-session executes the .desktop files in /etc/xdg/autostart.
i have added "Hidden=true" to xfce4-power-manager.desktop and light-locker.desktop. according to almighty internet, that means they don't get executed.
and rebooted.
i think this should disable all screen locking (and power management too, which i don't need on a vm).
i haven't yet observed enough, though.

BL quote proposals to this thread please.
my repos / my repos
---
Thank you for posting direct image links!

#9 2015-11-10 09:19:32

johnraff
nullglob
Website

...I meant, even after you change some setting in xfce4-power-manager it doesn't always seem to take effect till you reboot.

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#10 2015-11-10 12:57:28

Panda

Messing around with the settings in Xfce4 pm on my netbook this morning (left @work last night), I seem to have the exact issue as described by OP. Regardless of settings, netbook sleeps and requires login. This happens having closed the lid or not and even with 'Security' unchecked under the "system' tab and without regard to time intervals set to 'never' under the 'display' tab.

johnraff's suggestion of rebooting after adjusting the variables within Xfce4 pm does have an effect but only for the time interval specified, netbook still sleeps and requires login no matter what.

As I said, works perfectly on my laptop and isn't a big issue on my netbook, as I always lock the screen manually when away from it anyways.

Hope this observation helps the OP.   smile

― Master Oogway

#11 2015-11-10 14:16:55

Arion58

Struggling with the same issue, I have found something today which helped me: In /etc7xdg/autostart I edited light-locker.desktop at the end. I replaced "Exec=light-locker" by "Exec=light-locker --lock-after-screensaver=0". (Remember you need root-access to do that). After reboot, The sreen goes black after a while, as desired, but doesn't ask for password when awakening.

#12 2015-11-10 22:50:49

Panda

@Arion58,

Thanks for that suggestion, gave it a try this afternoon and worked perfectly. It basically has the effect of un-checking 'lock screen when system goes to sleep' under the "System" tab.

Awesome.. Saves me the hassle of having to unlock the screen if it's left alone for longer than a couple minutes.   smile

― Master Oogway

#13 2015-11-11 10:28:59

Arion58

Nice that it works for you, too. I often get help from the forums, so it's nice for me to share a solution I found myself.
Maybe you should mark the thread as "solved".

#14 2015-11-12 02:34:12

segt

Arion58 wrote:

Struggling with the same issue, I have found something today which helped me: In /etc7xdg/autostart I edited light-locker.desktop at the end. I replaced "Exec=light-locker" by "Exec=light-locker --lock-after-screensaver=0". (Remember you need root-access to do that). After reboot, The sreen goes black after a while, as desired, but doesn't ask for password when awakening.

This does solve my issue, though I'm hesitant to mark this as SOLVED. Can something be done to unify all these options into one settings display? We have: xset, xdg, xfce4-power-manager, and x-screen-saver. Some settings in one work, while others do not. Surely this task has been tackled before, and won't require the creation of a new application to handle it. What does Ubuntu or vanilla Debian do?

#15 2015-11-12 07:44:16

ohnonot
...again
Website

imo, your original post reveals a problem with the bunsenlabs release candidate that can and will be solved before the release comes out.
at least i guess so, and i say this without wanting to put pressure on the devs.

segt wrote:

Can something be done to unify all these options into one settings display? We have: xset, xdg, xfce4-power-manager, and x-screen-saver. Some settings in one work, while others do not. Surely this task has been tackled before, and won't require the creation of a new application to handle it. What does Ubuntu or vanilla Debian do?

(xdg doen't belong in that list)

what exactly do you want? power management global solution?

ubuntu and debian struggle with the miltitude of apps just like we do, except that they bring even more cruft into it (gnome-screensaver...).

it is perfectly possible to get screensaving & power management working with xset only and a few handwritten scripts.
but that requires that you know your hardware, and how you want it to behave.
xfce4-power-manager provides an automated solution.
xscreensaver is not installed on bunsenlabs, why did you bring it up?

BL quote proposals to this thread please.
my repos / my repos
---
Thank you for posting direct image links!

#16 2016-01-18 15:57:10

svl

Arion58 wrote:

Hi, It helped me like this: Exec=light-locker --lock-after-screensaver=0 --no-lock-on-suspend --no-late-locking wink

Board footer