You are not logged in.

#1 2019-06-17 01:04:49

kgilmer

Guidance on adapting a set of Ubuntu deb packages to a Debian distro

Hello!  I work on another Linux distro that is based from Ubuntu.  Some users have asked that I support Debian as well.  I am not an insider of the Linux distro world and have limited exposure to how things are done.  I do know that my approach to making Regolith will not work (PPAs and Cubic LiveCD creator) on Debian, but am wondering if anyone has guidance or some links they can give to me so I can understand what needs to be done to make this happen.

FWIW I was a big #! user back in the day and it's awesome to see you're keeping the flame burning bright!

Thanks in advance!
ken

https://github.com/regolith-linux/regol … /issues/32

Last edited by kgilmer (2019-06-18 02:52:36)

#2 2019-06-17 05:55:55

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Re: Guidance on adapting a set of Ubuntu deb packages to a Debian distro

[Mod hat on] Moved to "Help & Support (Other)".
"Development & Suggestions" is specifically for discussing the development of BunsenLabs.

[Mod hat off] Hi kgilmer, your question as to how to make a Debian-based version of a currently Ubuntu-based distro is rather broad to handle in a single topic. In general, Ubuntu is also Debian based, so the underlying structure is pretty much the same. But, as you have found with "Regolith", Ubuntu PPAs should not be used with Debian as they often rely on different libraries, or different versions, or locate the libraries in different paths.

I suggest you either change the title of your topic to the Regolith issue alone, or else open a new one for that, and leave this topic for more general questions about the differences between Debian and Ubuntu.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#3 2019-06-18 02:53:23

kgilmer

Thanks for your help John.  I've updated the title to be hopefully more specific.

#4 2019-06-18 04:15:05

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Maybe your next step would be to narrow things down a bit more by asking a specific question about what problem you have.

(I'm not saying I'll be able to help in any way BTW.)

Last edited by johnraff (2019-06-18 04:15:56)

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#5 2019-06-18 07:51:32

cog

The main differences are that you’re gonna have to rebuild, host some stuff yourself and learn another installer.

There’s no free hosting like PPAs in Debian and Ubiquity is Ubuntu centric.

Ken, you could probably rebuild your stuff using pbuilder, then use a vps like DigitalOcean with reprepro installed to take care or your launchpad ppa issue.  The next thing you have solve is the installer.  Most Debian derrivaritives looking to give a similar experience to Ubiquity seem to use calamares these days.  I’ve never been down the installer rabbit hole except with Archiso which was nice and simple.

BTW, Regolith looks like a nice desktop.  Almost installed it last week.  Good luck.

10% of The Fishermen Catch 90% of The Fish

#6 2019-06-19 00:11:54

hhh
Meep!
Website

#7 2019-06-19 04:56:28

kgilmer

@cog and @hhh, thank you!  This is exactly what I need.  I think the first step will be hosting the Debian-native packages on a VPS.  From user feedback so far I think this will satisfy most of the people that would want Regolith.  I very much appreciate your time and advice!

#8 2019-06-20 01:48:49

stevep
MX Linux Developer

You can use the free openSUSE Build Service to build your packages from source for both Debian and Ubuntu (and many other types of packages, too), and it will also create a repo automatically once they are built. I have a few, myself--this is the first one I did:

https://build.opensuse.org/package/show … r/palemoon

#9 2019-06-20 01:58:34

DeepDayze

@kgilmer, I took a look at the Regolith site.  It sure looks like cool desktop and rolling a Debian base for it sounds like another good idea. There are some people here who are fans of i3 and maybe they can help you in some ways in getting Regolith ported to Debian.

Real Men Use Linux

#10 2019-06-20 02:10:10

hhh
Meep!
Website

DeepDayze wrote:

... rolling a Debian base for it

Be sure to follow the siduction forums as well, that's a cool, small group of devs who have been hacking Debian unstable (sid) for a long time...

https://forum.siduction.org/index.php?board=22.0

If you register there and ask your questions very precisely (they're German) and don't ask about audio or video support (again, Deutschland, Bundesrepublik Deutschland to be, erm... Germanic about it), they'll most likely be very helpful if they have the time to spare.

#11 2019-06-20 04:21:53

kgilmer

Ah, I recall hearing about openSUSE build service at SCaLE one year but didn't connect the dots in my head.  This would def be preferable to having to manage a host.  Thanks for the tip @stevep. 

@DeepDayze, yeah I've added the "help wanted" tag to the issue, so maybe someone will be able to help out before I get to it. 

@hhh good to know.  The A/V stuff won't be a danger as I think it's up to users to decide what apps they [don't] want.  But thanks for the warning smile

#12 2019-06-21 01:03:50

DeepDayze

hhh wrote:
DeepDayze wrote:

... rolling a Debian base for it

Be sure to follow the siduction forums as well, that's a cool, small group of devs who have been hacking Debian unstable (sid) for a long time...

https://forum.siduction.org/index.php?board=22.0

If you register there and ask your questions very precisely (they're German) and don't ask about audio or video support (again, Deutschland, Bundesrepublik Deutschland to be, erm... Germanic about it), they'll most likely be very helpful if they have the time to spare.

Yes I been a member ever since  when that distro used to be called sidux then aptosid. Siduction split off from that. Still that is a very solid Sid-based distro (I still run it on another machine).

They do have a few members who use i3 as desktop I believe as well and may contribute ideas. Definitely a great group over there.

Last edited by DeepDayze (2019-06-21 01:04:24)

Real Men Use Linux

#13 2019-06-21 01:42:16

hhh
Meep!
Website

(continuing OT...)

aptosid was my first distro after Ubuntu. @gutterslob suggested either #! or aptosid. I tried both and went with sid (#! might have still been based on Ubuntu at the time, I can't remember. I think it was, and the switch to Debian with statler came soon after. But it was too late!

And then I was away from my computer for 6 months and when I finally upgraded... *booooommmm!!!!!!!*

Debian stable ever since, except for testing partitions. I've been running testing as my primary OS during the last few release freezes (jessie, stretch, now buster), then switch to stable when it's out.

#14 2019-06-21 02:15:21

DeepDayze

On topic, this sounds like an interesting project the OP wants to do, and I hope he succeeds in bringing Regolith to Debian, and maybe add a touch of BL to it considering he was a #!'er in the past smile

Last edited by DeepDayze (2019-06-21 02:16:03)

Real Men Use Linux

#15 2019-06-24 16:29:27

brontosaurusrex
Middle Office
Website

I'd like to see Regolith for Debian as well.

#16 2019-06-24 20:30:33

beaker

I'd prefer to see it with wayland/sway than i3. Sway seems to run reasonably well on debian (although I'm not sufficiently familiar with either i3 or sway to know if I'm encountering bugs or features wink)

#17 2019-06-25 01:16:00

DeepDayze

beaker wrote:

I'd prefer to see it with wayland/sway than i3. Sway seems to run reasonably well on debian (although I'm not sufficiently familiar with either i3 or sway to know if I'm encountering bugs or features wink)

That might be for a future project once Wayland becomes mature enough.

Real Men Use Linux

Board footer