You are not logged in.

#1 2019-06-05 19:31:33

foyle

(SOLVED ) Help and advice with regard to dual boot installation

Hi all

I just wanted to ask if any people could give me some advice with regard to installing Bunsenlabs Helium on a dual boot PC.
At the moment I have a 120gb SSD with Windows 10 Pro on it (I use it for programs such Photoshop and Capture One Pro among others) and a 2 TB conventional hard drive for data storage.

My query is am I better to install BL on a separate conventional drive (Ive got a 500gb) or another SSD drive 120gb?
And where do I install the grub menu? On the Windows SSD drive , data drive or new Linux drive?!
Apologies I'm a bit if a newbie still with regard to how best to configure dual boots.

Cheers for any help its very much appreciated.

Last edited by foyle (2019-06-06 19:03:28)

#2 2019-06-06 06:44:52

ohnonot
...again
Website

Re: (SOLVED ) Help and advice with regard to dual boot installation

foyle wrote:

My query is am I better to install BL on a separate conventional drive (Ive got a 500gb) or another SSD drive 120gb?

whatever tickles you best.
you can even set aside a partition on the existing 500GB drive (100GB are plenty).
just leave the windows drive alone.

And where do I install the grub menu? On the Windows SSD drive , data drive or new Linux drive?!
Apologies I'm a bit if a newbie still with regard to how best to configure dual boots.

GRUB will find windows.
I believe it needs to be on the hard drive that the computer sees as the first; most likely that SSD.
Beware: there might be additional snags involved with (U)EFI; I have no first-hand experience there, but that stuff is well-documented by now.

#3 2019-06-06 10:13:44

PackRat
jgmenu user Numero Uno

Works best to keep the installs separate. Install BL to it's own drive and install grub there. If this is an UEFI install be sure to partition the drive correctly.

Post install, change the drive order so that the drive with grub installed boots first. You should get a list with BL and Windows 10 on it and about 5 seconds to make your choice and boot.

Keeping the installs on separate drives prevents one OS from taking down the other should something go wrong.

I don't think it will matter if you use the convential or another SSD to install BL.

Back up any files you have on your Windows drive first.

Last edited by PackRat (2019-08-11 01:50:25)

You must unlearn what you have learned.
    -- yoda

#4 2019-06-06 10:13:54

foyle

Many thanks both for the help and advice. I've got a spare SSD so cheap nowadays. I've already installed BL helium on an old duo core laptop with old 5400rpm drive and it runs lovely. With an SSD in a desktop PC I'd imagine it'd fly!

Last edited by foyle (2019-06-06 10:15:08)

#5 2019-06-06 11:56:56

foyle

PackRat wrote:

Works best to keep the installs separate. Install BL to it's own drive and install grub there. If this is an URFI install be sure to partition the drive correctly.

Post install, change the drive order so that the drive with grub installed boots first. You should get a list with BL and Windows 10 on it and about 5 seconds to make your choice and boot.

Keeping the installs on separate drives prevents one OS from taking down the other should something go wrong.

I don't think it will matter if you use the convential or another SSD to install BL.

Back up any files you have on your Windows drive first.

Packrat I followed your instructions and installed BL Helium on a separate drive as well as grub. I didn't install grub correctly first time round but retried and all good now!! Many thanks to all again much appreciated. Cheers

Last edited by foyle (2019-06-06 13:23:38)

Board footer