You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-10 05:33:47

makarovnik

[SOLVED] Only some tint2 panels show in Tint2 Config GUI

OK I feel really stupid now. When I installed BL I went with the default tint2 panel (tint2rc). I used the Tint2 Config GUI to add some more launchers to it. Great.

Later I decided to switch to the tint2-crunchbang-bottom panel. So I go to the tint2 chooser and pick that one. It has the default launchers only, so I start Tint2 Config GUI again and look for tint2-crunchbang-bottom panel. Well that panel does not show up in the list so I can't modify it there. Actually many, (not all) of the other panels that appear in the panel chooser don't appear in the GUI editor.

But when I use the Tint2 Editor (non-GUI) it does show up in the list. What am I missing here?

Last edited by makarovnik (2019-04-10 18:36:17)

#2 2019-04-10 06:42:23

linux_user

Re: [SOLVED] Only some tint2 panels show in Tint2 Config GUI

makarovnik wrote:

OK I feel really stupid now. When I installed BL I went with the default tint2 panel (tint2rc). I used the Tint2 Config GUI to add some more launchers to it. Great.

Later I decided to switch to the tint2-crunchbang-bottom panel. So I go to the tint2 chooser and pick that one. It has the default launchers only, so I start Tint2 Config GUI again and look for tint2-crunchbang-bottom panel. Well that panel does not show up in the list so I can't modify it there. Actually many, (not all) of the other panels that appear in the panel chooser don't appear in the GUI editor.

But when I use the Tint2 Editor (non-GUI) it does show up in the list. What am I missing here?

tint2-crunchbang-bottom panel is not a theme as such. I don't know what to call it, may be a conf file. If you look into ~/config/tint2 you'd notice that it doesn't have a .tint2rc extension.

From what I know only those with .tint2rc extensions are 'tint2 themes' and they appear in the GUI editor allowing you to edit it. This should explain why tint2-crunchbang-bottom panel wasn't appearing in the GUI Editor. In fact the GUI editor will lists themes from various locations, eg, /usr/share/tint2.

What I understand is that you're looking at runing a theme with the tint2-crunchbang-bottom panel. I am not sure how to do that. I hope someone puts some light into this. Or perhaps may be I am wrong about this whole answer. Just new to tint2 tinkering smile

Last edited by linux_user (2019-04-10 06:43:21)

"Blind faith to authority is the greatest enemy of truth."

#3 2019-04-10 06:54:55

ohnonot
...again
Website

makarovnik wrote:

the Tint2 Editor (non-GUI)

the tint2 package comes with a _graphical_ program called tint2conf.
there is no non-GUI tint2 editor afaik.
maybe it's something in the openbox menu that opens some sort of yad dialog. that would still be GUI in my book (albeit without pictures).

ultimately, the answer lies in ~/.config/tint2/ i guess, where all tint2 configurations should be stored.

#4 2019-04-10 09:28:15

damo
....moderator....

The tint2 chooser greps the files in .config/tint2 to see if they contain the word "panel_monitor", as a test for a tint2 config file. So files which don't have a ".tint2rc" extension can also be picked up. (I think this is a legacy from #!, when tint2 confs didn't have a file extension).

It sounds like tint2conf (which isn't a BL program) only looks for tint2rc extensions, whereas bl-tint2edit also uses this test.

Simple fix: add the extension to all tint2 configs.
Complex fix: we ask @o9000, the tint2 dev, to fix tint2conf!

Be Excellent to Each Other...

FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#5 2019-04-10 18:35:21

makarovnik

I figured it was just a problem with GUI editor not loading (or looking at) all the panels that are listed in the tint2 chooser.

Obviously I'm new to the tint2 panel. Thanks for bearing with me. I hope that by asking some of these rather newbie questions it will encourage other "not so advanced users" to try Bunsenlabs. It's really a top notch distro but has a bit of learning curve.

I referred to the non-GUI editor as such only to differentiate it from the GUI editor. True the former is not really an editor as such it's just a menu item that launches the default text editor and opens the tint2 panel theme file of your choosing so you can edit it.

I did add the proper extension to all the panel themes and now they all load into the GUI editor.

Thanks all for your help

Last edited by makarovnik (2019-04-10 19:30:35)

Board footer