You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-02 19:12:52

Nunzio

Install Old HDD As Backup On New 'Puter?

Hey Guys!

O-K! So, I got a new 'puter, and installed Bunsen (Finally replacing my ancient copy of #!) and am LOVING IT! Hats off to everyone who has kept this distro going!

Now, what I'd like to do, is take the HDD from my old 'puter, and install it as a backup on the new 'puter.

Some questions:

1)The old HDD is 12 years old....will the connectors be the same?

2)The old HDD currently has two OS's on it- #! and Slackware. Can I still just mount it and plug it in- or will this cause the 'puter not to know which HDD to boot from?

3)Other than physically mounting the HDD in the new 'puter- retaining or deleting the data that is now on it, depending on the answer to question 2....will I need to do anything else to be able to use it? Will BL just "see it" once installed...etc.

(DISCLAIMER: I've been using Linux for 10 years...but am quite computer illiterate [Hence, why I no longer use Slackware!]...so please dumb it down for me! big_smile )

Last edited by Nunzio (2019-04-02 19:14:42)

#2 2019-04-03 05:49:08

ohnonot
...again
Website

Re: Install Old HDD As Backup On New 'Puter?

1)The old HDD is 12 years old....will the connectors be the same?

my guess is yes.
just open up the machine and see if you can connect it.
maybe the ribbon cable connecting your current hd has one or two free slots.
or it's the newer, smaller connectors... i forget the names, but the point is: these things are designed to be plug'n'play, i.e. if the connector fits you can't go wrong.

2)The old HDD currently has two OS's on it- #! and Slackware. Can I still just mount it and plug it in- or will this cause the 'puter not to know which HDD to boot from?

yes, no problems. unless your computer suddenly starts to boot from it - in that case you have to go to BIOS and adjust the order the drives are in. or even plug them differently.

3)Other than physically mounting the HDD in the new 'puter- retaining or deleting the data that is now on it, depending on the answer to question 2....will I need to do anything else to be able to use it? Will BL just "see it" once installed...etc.

try it.

#3 2019-04-03 08:00:07

titan

I would not trust a 12 year old HD with my backup, personally I would buy a new SSD and use that The connections are all the same or you could get an external casing for the SSD and run it via USB or network.

#4 2019-04-03 14:51:42

Nunzio

Thanks, guys!

O-K, guess I'll just give it a try.

Titan, yes, the age of the drive does concern me a little- but it's not going to get much use- and I probably will get a new one eventually, after trying it out with this 'un. Maybe I'll get that SSD and use it as my main drive, and use the new 'puter's HDD as the backup (Ironically, this Acer TC-885 had the option of being ordered with SSD for a few dollars more- should've done it! smile  )

#5 2019-04-03 18:08:52

ohnonot
...again
Website

forget to mention... install smartmontools and run a good check on it.
https://dt.iki.fi/hard-drive-and-fs-health-checks

#6 2019-04-03 22:45:23

Nunzio

ohnonot wrote:

forget to mention... install smartmontools and run a good check on it.
https://dt.iki.fi/hard-drive-and-fs-health-checks

Excellent! Will do. Thanks!

Board footer