You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-28 18:49:19

makarovnik

[SOLVED] Places pipe menu

Hi, new user here coming from Lubuntu. This is not critical but I did a search for this and didn't find anything specific regarding how to edit the "places" menu. I read the wiki for openbox and think I need more specific help.

I'm trying to add a link to my trash in the "places" menu. Pretty sure I have to edit a file that is linked to the pipe menu. I found a couple of possible files to edit but there seems to be more than one and I'm not exactly sure how to properly edit that file.

Again not critical. I can always just open thunar and get to trash or create a launcher on tint2 to open the trash directory in thunar but I'd like to learn how to edit that particular menu to clean it up a little and customize it. I'm trying to get my wife comfortable with this distro.

The application menu is easy to edit with the GUI but you can't use that to edit the pipe menu.

Thanks. So far I really like Bunsenlabs for it's simplicity, speed and customization.

#2 2019-03-28 19:20:13

damo
....moderator....

Re: [SOLVED] Places pipe menu

The Places pipemenu is created by the bl-places-pipemenu script. Help is available with

bl-places-pipemenu --help

You may also be interested in a recent thread: How to show everything with places pipemenu?

Be Excellent to Each Other...

FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#3 2019-03-28 19:47:50

damo
....moderator....

Simple workaround: create a link to your Trash directory in /home/$USER. It then shows up in the Places menu

ln -s /home/<username>/.local/share/Trash/files Trash

Be Excellent to Each Other...

FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#4 2019-03-28 20:03:32

makarovnik

Thanks damo you are most excellent.

The first solution is the one I tried to figure out before posting. I found that same file but wasn't comfortable editing it. I can back it up and do some testing to see what kind of results I get. There are prolly too many entries in the places menu for my casual usage so I might eliminate some.

The second solution is the one I will try for now, and actually I feel quite stupid for not doing that in the first place. I should have known to do that because I have done that before with certain distros like Bodhi that don't have a trash link on the desktop (or no desktop environment really). I'm finding Bunsenlabs much easier to work with and customize.

Loving this distro and like openbox with no formal desktop. Great forum too!

PS Not sure how to mark this thread solved.

Last edited by makarovnik (2019-03-28 20:11:57)

#5 2019-03-28 20:43:36

hhh
That's it!
Website

I can do it now, but just edit your first post, that will allow you to also edit your title as I have done. Thanks!

Board footer