You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-11 10:21:22

linux_user

GIMP, Inkscape, FreeCAD and Blender being the industry standard.

I'd love to see opensource applications be the industry standard (or on par with the ones) in their respective spaces. Linux have done it in server industry. MySQL (MariaDB) have done it.

I have maintained that teaching opensource software/tech like Protonmail*, Firefox & Linux instead of Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo, Chrome & Windows in schools would be an extremely fruitful for users and the opensource community. Schools in my country teach propriety software and as a result of which, they become the common standard.

But GIMP, Inkscape, FreeCAD and Blender aren't taught in schools as they are tools of specialization. How (in all aspects) can they be the industry standard in their respective spaces or at least be on par with them?

* though not opensource they value privacy

"Blind faith to authority is the greatest enemy of truth."

#2 2019-03-11 11:30:41

brontosaurusrex
Middle Office

Re: GIMP, Inkscape, FreeCAD and Blender being the industry standard.

Blender is or is becoming an industry standard due to the high quality of it, there are whispers that a lot of companies are switching to it replacing Maya/Max.

I guess 3d is kinda specific in this regard due to a very wide pipeline that software should cover, so even if it only covers a small patch of it it's still useful due to high costs of commercial software in this area.

There are other commercial products that are drastically changing the 3d landscape, like Substance Painter (recently bought by Adobe). And it also looks like real-time 3d engines might become a new film-makers tools in near future (Blender also did a huge step here with it's eevee thing).

Personally I was happy I could do this 2d image with Blender and not to suffer with Inkscape. Ugly thing to say I know..., but it might say something about quality or something about /me, hard to say.

tetris18_0160.md.png

Last edited by brontosaurusrex (2019-03-11 11:40:45)

#3 2019-03-12 08:52:56

linux_user

brontosaurusrex wrote:

Blender is or is becoming an industry standard due to the high quality of it, there are whispers that a lot of companies are switching to it replacing Maya/Max.

That's an improvement. Again, the question still remains.

How can the rest be the industry standard applications in their respective spaces or at least be on par with them?

#4 2019-03-12 11:42:44

damo
....moderator....

Blender is rapidly becoming more useful to studios, especially since the acceleration of development due to increased funding. But compare the dozen-or-so fulltime developers with the numbers employed by the commercial enterprises.....

It is only recently that NVidia has started cooperating with Blender to optimize for their hardware. I believe some other rendering engines are also working on import/export compatibility for Blender.

GIMP is a very capable tool, but consider that it isn't part of a suite like the integrated Adobe products are.

A business requires predictability and consistency from its software, and hires people with experience of the toolkit they are used to using. The inertia to change to something different must be immense ( - Linux users are all too familiar with this! Why use M$ when there is something better and safer for free?)

A huge issue is support: paid-for software must have real-time technical support for instant fixes and assistance. Until someone comes up with a business model to support open-source software, industry is unlikely to commit to using it.

Be Excellent to Each Other...

FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#5 2019-03-12 19:25:35

Martin
Website

Maybe off-topic but Python has a huge footprint.

/Martin

"Problems worthy of attack
prove their worth by hitting back."
Piet Hein

#6 2019-03-13 01:25:36

DeepDayze

Martin wrote:

Maybe off-topic but Python has a huge footprint.

/Martin

There are a lot of Python developer jobs out there that's for sure.

Real Men Use Linux

#7 2019-03-13 01:26:22

DeepDayze

The version control system Git is also open source and starting to gain traction within software houses too.

Real Men Use Linux

#8 2019-03-13 07:15:11

Martin
Website

DeepDayze wrote:

The version control system Git is also open source and starting to gain traction within software houses too.

Git is used for all (I think) SW development in the company I work for.

/Martin

Last edited by Martin (2019-03-13 07:15:37)

"Problems worthy of attack
prove their worth by hitting back."
Piet Hein

#9 2019-03-13 07:20:17

hhh
That's it!
Website

Adobe Suite is an industry standard and is developed much more rapidly than GIMP and Inkscape could ever be, though they play a good game of catch-up. But they'll never take over.

#10 2019-03-13 07:23:23

linux_user

hhh wrote:

Adobe Suite is an industry standard and is developed much more rapidly than GIMP and Inkscape could ever be, though they play a good game of catch-up. But they'll never take over.

So it's features provided and the development time.

#11 2019-03-13 07:29:12

hhh
That's it!
Website

Yes, and as pointed out before, the support available.

linux taking over the supercomputer world and eventually movie CGI was a practical move. Where's the practicality in the industry moving from Photoshop to GIMP?

#12 2019-03-13 07:45:34

linux_user

hhh wrote:

Yes, and as pointed out before, the support available.

linux taking over the supercomputer world and eventually movie CGI was a practical move. Where's the practicality in the industry moving from Photoshop to GIMP?

damo wrote:

GIMP is a very capable tool, but consider that it isn't part of a suite like the integrated Adobe products are.

A business requires predictability and consistency from its software, and hires people with experience of the toolkit they are used to using. The inertia to change to something different must be immense ( - Linux users are all too familiar with this! Why use M$ when there is something better and safer for free?)

A huge issue is support: paid-for software must have real-time technical support for instant fixes and assistance. Until someone comes up with a business model to support open-source software, industry is unlikely to commit to using it.

Damn, I didn't know up until now that movie and CGI runs on linux (clusters).

Yes, the only pros of moving to gimp/inkscape at the moment is the cost involved. In terms of support/features and development time, it does lag behind - one of the major issues.

Funding is one important factor, I guess if we have a larger community of professional graphic designer supporting the project, that would prove to be a major influence. There are professional freelancers using on GIMP and Inkscape to design their work.

#13 2019-03-13 10:40:11

brontosaurusrex
Middle Office

<slight rant>I think there is a chance for Gimp/Inkscape, one part due to Adobe doing stupid stuff (like 2 minute startup times in 2019). Another thing is bloatware of features (In Photoshop for example). Personally I never liked Illustrator very much, but I do have similar hate towards Inkscape.

Gimp 2.10 is a lot faster than 2.8x, but still some basic stuff like 'export to png' feels slow.
Inkscape has a really weird gui (and that's coming from a Blender user), also it will fail in weird ways (Lots of object copies may bring it to it's knees). With Gimp there is also an aesthetic issue, feels ugly to me. And no, it doesn't have to look like Photoshop at all.</rant>

Last edited by brontosaurusrex (2019-03-13 10:40:26)

Board footer