You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-29 13:50:15

christopherisnow

Keyboard layout

About a month ago I cloned my entire hard drive from a Thinkpad x220 with an Italian keyboard to a Toshiba Portege Z-30A with a US English keyboard. Everything has gone smoothly since then except the keyboard layout.

I cannot get /etc/default/keyboard to load properly. It looks like this:

# KEYBOARD CONFIGURATION FILE

# Consult the keyboard(5) manual page.

XKBMODEL="pc105"
XKBLAYOUT="us,de,es"
XKBVARIANT=""
XKBOPTIONS="grp:alt_shift_toggle"

BACKSPACE="guess"

For a while I would just type in

udevadm trigger --subsystem-match=input --action=change

after every login and it worked. But after trying everything I could think of to sort it out properly I can´t even manage that. I can only toggle between de and es. The us layout doesn´t call.

I know keyboard layout has been an issue with stretch. Any BL users crack this nut?

Perhaps I´ve caused more confusion in the process of repair and just need to start from scratch?

#2 2019-01-29 14:28:19

earlybird
ほやほや
Website

Re: Keyboard layout

I just use fcitx (input method engine manager) for my keyboard layouts (some people use ibus). Yes, it's another service on a higher layer, yes for some people it's "bloat", but setting it up takes 3 minutes never to look at it again. When configuring fcitx, you would add the desired keyboard layout as another "input method" (just a layout, really). Toggling between layouts is just with a shortcut like XKB. I think there are several usable guides for deploying fcitx, if you're interested. Accidentally, fcitx works better than the native keyboard layout management in most full-blown DEs too.

TLDR: With an IME manager, there are no problems with keyboard layouts and xkb wriggling..

#3 2019-02-02 13:13:41

christopherisnow

Re: Keyboard layout

Thanks, this does seem to work well. I'll take a reliable workaround even it means minor "bloat"...

Board footer