You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-28 03:02:00

hhh
Meep!
Website

Replace the default tint2 panel with xfce4-panel

I do it every time. Deskbar mode is great, and I want a panel that I can set (in a GUI) to Appearance>Use System Theme and it will use whatever gtk theme I set in lxappearance. I want to to right-click a panel app icon and see a pop-up menu with "Close window" and "Send to desktop..." options. I want that GUI. Call me old fashioned.

We can ship both like CB used to do and leave tint2 as the default, that would qork for me. Or I can just keep replacing it myself, but it's my pet peeve with BL.

#2 2019-01-28 04:00:27

MALsPa

Re: Replace the default tint2 panel with xfce4-panel

hhh wrote:

We can ship both like CB used to do and leave tint2 as the default, that would qork for me.

Yeah, I'd like to see this. I prefer tint2 for Openbox, but I do like xfce4-panel.

#3 2019-01-28 04:43:26

Dobbie03
Resident Metalhead
Website

Why not do what we did on ArchLabs and have a script you launch from obmenu and you can choose your panel?  We had the option of Polybar or Tint2.  Shouldn't be too hard to incorporate XFCE panel into that.

I like my Metal like my coffee.......Black!
Resident Metalhead Poser

#4 2019-01-28 06:23:40

johnraff
nullglob
Website

hhh wrote:

We can ship both like CB used to do and leave tint2 as the default, that would qork for me.

You mean, you hate having to 'apt-get install xfce4-panel', but don't mind reconfiguring autostart?  tongue

But agreed, we could at a minimum ship some config for xfce4-panel to make it fit in with our BL look.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#5 2019-01-28 13:30:23

S7.L

might as well be bunsenlabs xfce4 in that case, doesn't the panel drag in alot of xfce4 deps? So in that case updates and upgrades are going to be wasted bandwidth for those who only use tint2, maybe have an option in the welcome script?

Last edited by S7.L (2019-01-28 13:30:47)

#6 2019-01-28 14:27:47

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

On a fresh bunsen netinstall (on top of buster) & not counting itself it pulls in a whole 5 other packages,

libgarcon-1-0 libgarcon-common libwnck-common libwnck22 libxres1

and that's just firing off apt install without even --no-install-recommends the deps list on the package page looks longish, but they're all real basic things Bunsen has pulled in already, doesn't look like massive bloat or Bunsenlabs XFCE to me.

As to the advantages or disadvantages, I can't say much, it's not something I've experience of, my go-to Debian alternate to Bunsen being LXQt.

Last edited by Bearded_Blunder (2019-01-28 14:29:19)

Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed...
If there's an obscure or silly way to break it, but you don't know what.. Just ask me

#7 2019-01-28 14:49:53

S7.L

^ oh ok, last i check was awhile ago i tried xfce4 panel and it dragged in the window manager, settings manager with all those deps as well. Been awhile though

#8 2019-01-28 19:43:14

ohnonot
...again
Website

S7.L wrote:

might as well be bunsenlabs xfce4 in that case, doesn't the panel drag in alot of xfce4 deps?

most of those are already installed on BL, because of xfce4-power-manager and thunar.

but tint2 has a flair that, imo, is an integral part of BL's openbox+conky+tint2 desktop.

and the configurability is absolutely awesome, you cannot come even near that with something that uses gtk (or any toolkit) elements.

config file editing ftw!

#9 2019-01-28 22:19:14

damo
....moderator....

ohnonot wrote:

but tint2 has a flair that, imo, is an integral part of BL's openbox+conky+tint2 desktop.

and the configurability is absolutely awesome, you cannot come even near that with something that uses gtk (or any toolkit) elements.

config file editing ftw!

+10! smile

...and I never liked the xfce panel when setting it up for others hmm

Be Excellent to Each Other...

FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#10 2019-01-29 00:15:15

hhh
Meep!
Website

OK, I'll just write a HowTo for replacing and configuring when Lithium is out, easy solution.

#11 2019-01-29 02:56:02

DeepDayze

Tint2 is more configurable than xfce-panel or lxpanel imo, but it's good to have options smile

Real Men Use Linux

#12 2019-01-29 07:56:53

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Tint2's definitely prettier - just look at Helium! The xfce panel is easier to add items, and is getting nicer-looking. I might replace the ADeskBar I've been using for years as a launcher for various stuff with xfce4-panel if I can get it looking nice, just because it's currently maintained. (My ADeskBar .deb was put together by member cog back in #! days, but still runs nicely on Stretch.)

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#13 2019-01-29 08:28:13

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Panel's are bloat !!! tongue

PS, but so are pixels and electrons too, bloat, bloat, bloaty ... bloat. Vll!

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2019-01-29 08:33:40)

#14 2019-01-29 11:24:30

Nili
Website

If we were 7 years ago i'd agree that any substitution would be a good idea because tint2 was super plain, but nowdays tint2 has advanced a lot with many innovations?

Sorry hhh,
tint2, conky-std, openbox or even compton are not only essential as an ex #! practicals for use, but awesome combinations.

One can make tint2 so unique that hardly can find a similar one.

My only 2cents,
Nili

P.S. in a way agree with BLizgreat, panels are bloated sometimes i turn it off tint2 for a week or even month then i turn On back.

Nothing beats peace and quiet / Tomoki Sakurai

#15 2019-01-29 20:00:22

beaker

IMO tint2 should stay as default - I like tint2 on openbox. In saying that, XFCE panel is nice and can be pulled in with few dependencies. I do question why, these days, 'openbox' distros seem to be pulling in more and more XFCE stuff though. It's not a trend I like to see.

#16 2019-01-29 21:46:15

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Photons also need to lose some weight, plus colors, colors are bloat, you guys should go back to using black and white. big_smile Obviously don't have a meaningful opinion on this, many of you guys actually have hands on experience with managing a distribution, do the work involved etc. Easy to sit on the side-lines and say oh, you could/should blahblahblah.

Not really sure which direction you guys should go in this. Do think it can be a slippery slope, I mean if someone were to set it up like an endless cb-welcome or fiddled with the installer enough. Do you want this, this, that or how about option a, b, c ... d and z. big_smile Beyond fiddling with iso's not at all familiar with how much hassle is involved in implementing such changes or giving choices. Though have always thought the people saying, omg XYZ should be the file manager and this the text editor !!! Rather than just installing what they like using to be silly people in my view.

edit: That above is not at all directed towards hhh, the guy knows his gnu/Nix, we've all seen those type of users I was babbling about though, among any distributions online community.

Errrr ... lost track of any constructive thought I might have been working towards. smile This thread did have me looking at tint2, thinking hmmmm, what the heck do I really even need you for ? I keep it as plain as can be, it's just a clock (time/date) and running apps show up in the thing, that's it. No launchers or anything else. Sheesh I don't even bother with a right-click menu anymore, everything is keybinds.

Though ps_mem, says.

2.5 MiB +   1.8 MiB =   4.3 MiB    tint2

Can be a resource miser but not that big of one. tongue Need to learn  more about tint2, am sure there's some cool config threads here. This thread also made me realize I do have xfce4-panel installed and don't even know when I did that. Yowza ... Any way it goes, think you guys have done a great job of keeping minimal kickbutt Debian stable alive and kicking. Keep following thy muse(s) fellow nixers. Your including Broadcom wireless support in the iso has saved me from ripping handfuls of my hair out. smile

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2019-01-29 22:05:10)

#17 2019-01-29 22:24:54

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Dang it more babbling:

Nili, what you said made me raise an eye too but I already know how it'd turn out. Like having a clock and seeing those running apps. Just helps me stay oriented and the amount of overhead added is ridiculously tiny anyway. This sparked a random thought kind of related to this.

Gnu/Linux just has so many possibilities, it's virtually friggin endless. As to whether a given distribution wants to deal with that or not, don't know. Things like install scripts which can radically change the resulting install, welcome-scripts, have seen websites where a person can go through and select each and every thing that's going to be installed and get a custom .iso. big_smile It's ridiculous and have kicked it around, at least thought, hey that's one more awesome thing Nix geeks have done/can do.

I'm just an end user, learned enough to set things up the way I like vs trying to cater to what someone else might enjoy. So don't have to take others preferences or popularity into consideration, I'm happy with things. Guess overall can only think to say, try things and see ? If it proves worth the time/effort then cool ... PROFIT !!!! smile

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2019-01-29 22:36:00)

Board footer