You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-16 18:49:47

linux_user

BL and FluxBB

Was there any reason to choose FluxBB as our forum? No complaints as such; just wondering.

Last edited by linux_user (2019-01-16 19:07:31)

"Blind faith to authority is the greatest enemy of truth."

#2 2019-01-16 18:59:32

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

Re: BL and FluxBB

There was mention of a swap to Flarum.  Elsewhere, now sent to /dev/null, I think it's mostly what got set up as something to use when !# ceased to be.

Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed...
If there's an obscure or silly way to break it, but you don't know what.. Just ask me

#3 2019-01-16 21:03:13

ohnonot
...again
Website

linux_user wrote:

Was there any reason to choose FluxBB as our forum? No complaints as such; just wondering.

ok, i guess...
it's lightweight, it's minimalistic and simple, it's what crunchbang forums also used.

the change to flarum, afaiu, was discussed because it's the same developers as fluxbb.
but, fluxbb is NOT discontinued, there's been a new release in december 2018!

so why not stay with it, twoion?

#4 2019-01-16 21:18:41

twoion
ほやほや

ohnonot wrote:

so why not stay with it, twoion?

…Have you seen the code? It's impossible to maintain. FluxBB's code base is garbage, best early 2000s spaghetty code. The lines are longer than my 24" monitor is wide, in a readable font size. It's PHP code tangled with HTML and JavaScript. If-statements going over multiple pages, tangled with HTML here and there. It's naughty.

We essentially just use it because #! used it, also because it was thouht that we might be able to import all #! content, which didn't happen. As for now, don't worry, we're staying current with the upstream fluxbb commits. Some guy is introducing small changes or has begun doing so recently, but I don't have high hopes for fluxbb as a product per se.

I've been thinking about trying the software that powers https://forum.dlang.org/. It's a complete 'classic and open' communications system web+mail+irc+nntp: https://github.com/CyberShadow/DFeed. It's superior technology but I haven't gotten around to dealing with it in depth. At least it's written by a guy that knows how to write structured programs (not saying that the FluxBB people didn't learn – Flarum has much better code than FluxBB ever will have).

Tempus fugit

#5 2019-01-17 16:12:26

linux_user

Any idea when Flarum will be a stable release? I haven't been able to find roadmap on their site (apologies if it's there and I missed it).

"Blind faith to authority is the greatest enemy of truth."

#6 2019-01-17 17:46:39

ohnonot
...again
Website

twoion wrote:

…Have you seen the code? It's impossible to maintain. FluxBB's code base is garbage, best early 2000s spaghetty code.

ok, i'm convinced already!
wink
i seem to remember that flarum relies on javascript to an extent it's practically impossible to use without, much like discourse.
I'd love to see something responsive and lightweight.
I'd love to continue being able to use the forums with javascript completely disabled.

I also much prefer the "early 2000s", if you will, format of a "classic" online forum where the user decides which posts are interesting to them.
Simple sorting by date of last post, what more do you need.
Discourse, reddit and most fancy new formats seem to always want to impose some sort of ranking, to the point of me being unable to get my own, personal overview.

#7 2019-01-20 09:47:56

orionH

I got a feeling (no proof big_smile) that more modern forum designs are heavily influenced by social media, and are made with the intention to be used on a small screen.

#8 2019-01-20 11:45:04

ohnonot
...again
Website

thanks to twoion (i think) the current bl-forums default works quite well on my smartphone.

#9 2019-01-20 12:19:53

twoion
ほやほや

ohnonot wrote:

thanks to twoion (i think) the current bl-forums default works quite well on my smartphone.

Yeah, it's """responsive""" (if you don't look to deep into it big_smile)

Tempus fugit

#10 2019-01-21 03:40:08

DeepDayze

ohnonot wrote:

Ditto, even on iPhone the forum looks and works fine, and as long as Fluxbb is still being maintained why not stick with it unless there are new features in Flarum that are useful.

Real Men Use Linux

Board footer