You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-16 18:49:47

linux_user

BL and FluxBB

Was there any reason to choose FluxBB as our forum? No complaints as such; just wondering.

Last edited by linux_user (2019-01-16 19:07:31)

"Blind faith to authority is the greatest enemy of truth."

#2 2019-01-16 18:59:32

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

Re: BL and FluxBB

There was mention of a swap to Flarum.  Elsewhere, now sent to /dev/null, I think it's mostly what got set up as something to use when !# ceased to be.

Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed...
If there's an obscure or silly way to break it, but you don't know what.. Just ask me

#3 2019-01-16 21:03:13

ohnonot
...again
Website

linux_user wrote:

Was there any reason to choose FluxBB as our forum? No complaints as such; just wondering.

ok, i guess...
it's lightweight, it's minimalistic and simple, it's what crunchbang forums also used.

the change to flarum, afaiu, was discussed because it's the same developers as fluxbb.
but, fluxbb is NOT discontinued, there's been a new release in december 2018!

so why not stay with it, twoion?

#4 2019-01-16 21:18:41

twoion
ほやほや

ohnonot wrote:

so why not stay with it, twoion?

…Have you seen the code? It's impossible to maintain. FluxBB's code base is garbage, best early 2000s spaghetty code. The lines are longer than my 24" monitor is wide, in a readable font size. It's PHP code tangled with HTML and JavaScript. If-statements going over multiple pages, tangled with HTML here and there. It's naughty.

We essentially just use it because #! used it, also because it was thouht that we might be able to import all #! content, which didn't happen. As for now, don't worry, we're staying current with the upstream fluxbb commits. Some guy is introducing small changes or has begun doing so recently, but I don't have high hopes for fluxbb as a product per se.

I've been thinking about trying the software that powers https://forum.dlang.org/. It's a complete 'classic and open' communications system web+mail+irc+nntp: https://github.com/CyberShadow/DFeed. It's superior technology but I haven't gotten around to dealing with it in depth. At least it's written by a guy that knows how to write structured programs (not saying that the FluxBB people didn't learn – Flarum has much better code than FluxBB ever will have).

Wahllos schlägt das Schicksal zu / heute ich und morgen du.

#5 2019-01-17 16:12:26

linux_user

Any idea when Flarum will be a stable release? I haven't been able to find roadmap on their site (apologies if it's there and I missed it).

"Blind faith to authority is the greatest enemy of truth."

#6 2019-01-17 17:46:39

ohnonot
...again
Website

twoion wrote:

…Have you seen the code? It's impossible to maintain. FluxBB's code base is garbage, best early 2000s spaghetty code.

ok, i'm convinced already!
wink
i seem to remember that flarum relies on javascript to an extent it's practically impossible to use without, much like discourse.
I'd love to see something responsive and lightweight.
I'd love to continue being able to use the forums with javascript completely disabled.

I also much prefer the "early 2000s", if you will, format of a "classic" online forum where the user decides which posts are interesting to them.
Simple sorting by date of last post, what more do you need.
Discourse, reddit and most fancy new formats seem to always want to impose some sort of ranking, to the point of me being unable to get my own, personal overview.

#7 2019-01-20 09:47:56

orionH

I got a feeling (no proof big_smile) that more modern forum designs are heavily influenced by social media, and are made with the intention to be used on a small screen.

#8 2019-01-20 11:45:04

ohnonot
...again
Website

thanks to twoion (i think) the current bl-forums default works quite well on my smartphone.

#9 2019-01-20 12:19:53

twoion
ほやほや

ohnonot wrote:

thanks to twoion (i think) the current bl-forums default works quite well on my smartphone.

Yeah, it's """responsive""" (if you don't look to deep into it big_smile)

Wahllos schlägt das Schicksal zu / heute ich und morgen du.

#10 2019-01-21 03:40:08

DeepDayze

ohnonot wrote:

Ditto, even on iPhone the forum looks and works fine, and as long as Fluxbb is still being maintained why not stick with it unless there are new features in Flarum that are useful.

Real Men Use Linux

#11 2020-02-26 12:57:15

yoda
Website

I have been using Discourse on several Linux distro's forums or misc app's forums

Did bunsenlabs forum admin ever considered to move to a more modern Forum tool ?

Just curious...

It's sure your forum is " very very FAST" though LOL
JF

Last edited by yoda (2020-02-26 18:00:41)

According to Buddhism, we all met several times... This time, it's on this forum :-) May we meet again

#12 2020-02-26 19:32:53

Jimbo_G

^ It's pretty much the fastest website to load on my smartphone

#13 2020-03-16 14:41:21

yoda
Website

Discourse is very very fast on all the discourse forum I use.... Simple to setup and very good looking

NOt to promote but try this one, I have been using it for a long time
https://forum.elivelinux.org/

I was using that distro before moving on to Bunsen Lithium on all my PC.

According to Buddhism, we all met several times... This time, it's on this forum :-) May we meet again

#14 2020-03-16 16:11:55

DarkiJah
Banned

yoda wrote:

Discourse is very very fast on all the discourse forum I use.... Simple to setup and very good looking

NOt to promote but try this one, I have been using it for a long time
https://forum.elivelinux.org/

I was using that distro before moving on to Bunsen Lithium on all my PC.

Tried discourse on my phone, it is slow when your going through posts. So this is not the way I'm going to go - and the "new" things forum... I'll stick to the old working thing.

I guess the link is to yet another forum of Discourse, at least it looks like it. I will try it on my mobile... Nope still slow and rusty on moving through the messages in the jump to window. I'll focus on the 2 other forums - they might be the "old" way but I like the old ways. smile

Anyway, CrunchBang++ is still the closets for the gem of the old CrunchBang - nothing comes close to it. I don't know why people want to fix something that was not broken in the first place. Anyway... I'm in the minority I guess still hanging unto the old ways.

Still looking for the forum theme of the old theme. I perceive that my other post on this forum has been deleted asking about it. --- And just got an mail that it was a mistake... *Sigh* okay, well... I guess I need to rewrite it then. Like I really should take copies of everything I write, I lose so much effort and time on writing things which end up being deleted. which is why I'm making a website as to have a safe haven from all the ink blotters and shredders. Tired of being censored everywhere smile

Anyway, thanks for your words and thoughts - I will continue to seek out info on the forum topic.

Dearly Regards DarkiJah

Last edited by DarkiJah (2020-03-16 16:14:02)

#15 2020-03-16 21:47:06

yoda
Website

I like i Discourse or  Discord (Chat) being able to " LIKE " something, put a heart, smiley, hangry face, thumbs up or down or some expression without having to reply ( needed with Old forum tool).

I also like to be able to paste or see pict easily ( new forum tool).

But it's a question of taste...

But I must admit, Bunsen forum is DAMN FAST ! LOL and does the job too

Last edited by yoda (2020-03-16 21:47:47)

#16 2020-03-17 09:41:06

DarkiJah
Banned

yoda wrote:

I like i Discourse or  Discord (Chat) being able to " LIKE " something, put a heart, smiley, hangry face, thumbs up or down or some expression without having to reply ( needed with Old forum tool).

I also like to be able to paste or see pict easily ( new forum tool).

But I must admit, Bunsen forum is DAMN FAST ! LOL and does the job too

That's the thing FluxBB works very nicely and quick and smooth - although the old CrunchBang design for the forum was a lot more to my liking and was a gem. I've gotten a message from the FluxBB forum which says it is dead.... Not entirely sure what to do with that. I looked into Flarum but installation seems to be a mess and not possible for me to do as they use some things I don't have access to and it is still in Beta. Although it was more lightweight then Discourse on my mobile and worked smoother. But I can't really use that for anything if I can't install it in the first place.

So... I'm still back to FluxBB or phpBB - at least phpBB seem to have a pretty active platform.... So... Well.. I'll do some more digging and research smile
I'm not even sure it would be a problem that FluxBB if true has stop production - it should be a pretty solid forum I would think.

Take care
- DarkiJah

#17 2020-03-17 09:47:51

glittersloth
...straight talkin'

yoda wrote:

Pretty much. Turns out everything people like about discourse, I hate. From that scrolling timeline thing to that obnoxious top bar to the social media styled like/dislike/etc to the round avatars.

Board footer