You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-16 05:55:39

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

[SOLVED](soon)Svinit Buster install - suddenly no input with X running

First, I will understand if nobody is much interested in this, I'd really prefer not to be involved in "Use systemd  or Gentoo / Devuan / Other-distro then instead of being silly"  I'm not moralizing about init choices, just trying to see if a sysvinit setup can still be done.. and I do have a VM that works.. so long as I don't update it :-) It's evidently something that's had an update at the root of the issue.

I'm at a bit of loss where to track the problem down, it's a bunsen setup, first off I thought lightdm was locking up, so I purged it, everythings fine till I startx, then the interface starts, I can watch the time updating, first time bl-welcome popped up, it sits at about 2-3% CPU  but it's just like there's no keyboard connected, mouse moves around, but clicks are ignored, I basically can't do anything, not switch to a tty, even ctrl-alt-delete is totally ignored, nothing but a hard reset will do anything..

I couldn't see anything really suspicious in /var/log/whathaveyou or in .xsession-errors when I've booted back up in rescue mode, but then I'm not entirely sure what to look *for*.

Any ideas?

Last edited by Bearded_Blunder (2019-01-16 08:30:58)

Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed...
If there's an obscure or silly way to break it, but you don't know what.. Just ask me

#2 2019-01-16 06:12:09

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Re: [SOLVED](soon)Svinit Buster install - suddenly no input with X running

FWIW I've had those keyboard disconnects in the past too - on Stretch with systemd. Mouse sometimes worked, but the keyboard totally ignored. Sometimes I could click my way out of it, but sometimes only the physical power button had any effect. Never got to the bottom of it, but suspected hardware, possibly overheating.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#3 2019-01-16 06:58:03

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

Re: [SOLVED](soon)Svinit Buster install - suddenly no input with X running

Unfortunately, much as I'd love blaming hardware (and the P4 I used to test on real hardware is old & iffy enough) the problem also happens in both virtualbox & vmware-player, it's also consistent, the only way I can have a working setup is to revert snapshots to the state when I was messing with bunsen-exit & simply not update. & which one out of 3 figures of updated packages is responsible is a tad tedious to test, with a reboot after applying each, assuming that applying one doesn't pull 20 of it's mates in just to confuse the issue.

I might try cloning the system & dist-upgrade to sid, it can't make things worse.

/edit Evidently there's a fix in the works, dist-upgrade to sid fixes it.

Last edited by Bearded_Blunder (2019-01-16 08:32:08)

Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed...
If there's an obscure or silly way to break it, but you don't know what.. Just ask me

Board footer