You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-15 18:34:43

hxcdk

Installer problem - BL and Debian

Hi Gents
I have run into a problem, I think is installer related.

The case: When I run the BL installer(USB stick), it installs fine, but when I reboot (without the USB stick), the boot process stop and I am stock on "initramfs" prompt. It looks like it is looking for USB stick.

The same thing happens if I use the regular Debian netinstaller, and at the "software selection" stage DESELECT EVERYTHING except "standard system utilities".

But if I choose a Desktop package, say Gnome, I do not have this problem.

The problem occurs on my desktop Pc, which has a SSD and a regular disk. I am trying to install to the SSD.

I have a old notebook, with only a regular disk, and on this system, the install and reboot goes well.

Any ideas what could be the problem?

Best Regards
Henrik (hxcdk)

#2 2019-01-15 19:44:31

ohnonot
...again
Website

Re: Installer problem - BL and Debian

hxcdk wrote:

The problem occurs on my desktop Pc, which has a SSD and a regular disk. I am trying to install to the SSD.

sometimes you need to go into BIOS and shift the hard drive priorities around.

or maybe you chose the wrong drive to install the system, or grub, or both?

#3 2019-01-16 03:58:19

linux_user

What is the boot priority of your disks on your BIOS? Can you list them out? I mean check your BIOS and post it here.

Last edited by linux_user (2019-01-16 04:01:18)

"Blind faith to authority is the greatest enemy of truth."

#4 2019-01-16 10:49:18

hxcdk

Hi Gents
Normally I adjust the boot order in BIOS, prior to boot from my USB stick, and change it back again, after install.

Boot order(before install):
1. USB 3 drive
2. SSD disk
3. SATA disk
4. CD/DVD

Boot order(after install):
1. SSD disk
2. USB 3 drive
3. SATA disk
4. CD/DVD

The system boots from the SSD, but stops and goes to a "initranfs" prompt.

#5 2019-01-16 18:25:01

linux_user

hxcdk wrote:

Hi Gents
Normally I adjust the boot order in BIOS, prior to boot from my USB stick, and change it back again, after install.

Boot order(before install):
1. USB 3 drive
2. SSD disk
3. SATA disk
4. CD/DVD

Boot order(after install):
1. SSD disk
2. USB 3 drive
3. SATA disk
4. CD/DVD

The system boots from the SSD, but stops and goes to a "initranfs" prompt.

initramfs is supposed to mount the root file system. The root partition, denoted by / at the disk partitioning step during installation should be a pointing to your SSD partition. Can you confirm that you'd indeed installed the OS in to the SSD while partitioning? Just wondering if you'd have chosen the wrong sd(xy) during the installation.

Either that, one of your partitions (most likely the root one) would have been corrupted. What happens when you type and execute exit in initramfs?

"Blind faith to authority is the greatest enemy of truth."

#6 2019-01-18 14:38:27

THX1138

Unless times have changed and I havent noticed (which is very likely) I thought you couldnt boot from a USB3 device because it is only made ready under the operating system not the BIOS. That is what I have believed since I last looked around maybe 2013 for my P8P67 Pro rev 3 board

(Edited in later)
from what I can tell, after a cursory glance at a few pages on the web, is that it appears even in 2018 you cannot boot from a USB 3 port as USB3 is only supported through software.
It is not supported under BIOS/UEFI. I must admit I havent looked very deeply at it. IE: I havent looked at technical documents about it since 2013, but judging by the number of people with problems I would say its the same now as then

Last edited by THX1138 (2019-01-18 15:50:09)

The telephone is an antiquity - you never know who is calling, there is no image, it is an outmoded product which constantly disrupts work (Ralf Hutter (Kraftwerk)) ps: my wife knows how much I dislike being disrupted at Work - Ralf Hutter hit the nail on the head there

#7 2019-01-19 06:05:25

ohnonot
...again
Website

THX1138 wrote:

from what I can tell, after a cursory glance at a few pages on the web, is that it appears even in 2018 you cannot boot from a USB 3 port as USB3 is only supported through software.

but i'm pretty sure most (if not all) usb3 ports fall back to usb2 if they cannot provide usb3 capabilities (e.g. if you use a usb2 stick or cable) - so probably that also applies during early boot.
i have definitely booted from blue usb ports with blue usb sticks.

#8 2019-01-21 10:32:25

hxcdk

Hi Gents
I think I have an old USB2 stick somewhere and will give it a try. I will update, when I have tried this..

BR
Henrik

#9 2019-01-24 06:41:27

hxcdk

Hi Gents
I tried to install with a USB2 stick, but the problem was the same.

BUT, I gave it one last go, and selected the "One disk with LVM", which prompted me that I was trying to install in "BIOS Compatability mode" and that I could force "UEFI mode" instead. I chose "UEFI mode" and it actually worked.

So now I have a working Bunsenlabs installation big_smile

Thanks to all

Best Regards
Henrik (hxcdk)

#10 2019-01-24 20:36:23

THX1138

ohnonot wrote:

but i'm pretty sure most (if not all) usb3 ports fall back to usb2 if they cannot provide usb3 capabilities (e.g. if you use a usb2 stick or cable) - so probably that also applies during early boot.

Not true. The USB3 ports are not readied until after the operating system has started. USB3 will not boot a drive under BIOS or UEFI.
The caveat being that if your board was made in the last 12 months or so then it MAY do
as some boards are now beginning to control the ports at a hardware level.

USB3 does not fallback to USB2. It is immaterial what USB stick you put in there. What is important is whether the board can access the port and power it without requiring software drivers.

My USB3 ports will not boot an operating system at all ever

Last edited by THX1138 (2019-01-24 20:37:30)

The telephone is an antiquity - you never know who is calling, there is no image, it is an outmoded product which constantly disrupts work (Ralf Hutter (Kraftwerk)) ps: my wife knows how much I dislike being disrupted at Work - Ralf Hutter hit the nail on the head there

#11 2019-01-25 04:00:05

johnraff
nullglob
Website

THX1138 wrote:

My USB3 ports will not boot an operating system at all ever

But mine will, on a 5 year old machine. Beware of excessive generalization.

Last edited by johnraff (2019-01-25 04:00:42)

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#12 2019-01-25 17:12:00

THX1138

johnraff wrote:

But mine will, on a 5 year old machine. Beware of excessive generalization.

Which is why I said

Unless times have changed and I havent noticed (which is very likely) I thought you couldnt boot from a USB3 device because it is only made ready under the operating system not the BIOS. That is what I have believed since I last looked around maybe 2013 for my P8P67 Pro rev 3 board

Board footer