You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-04 15:45:45

lmart

install to usb - multiple failures

objective: usb install of bl-Helium-4-i386-cd to use on a win laptop

1. downloaded bl-Helium-4-i386-cd, verified checksum, wrote to cd
2. slected Text based install from boot menu
3. followed all default prompts to write to a single 16gb usb and, 32gb usb
4. selected option to boot from usb rather than modify hdd mbr (cannot change win laptop!)
5. hangs on boot

what are troubleshooting options?
if anything unclear, please let me know. thank you.

#2 2019-01-04 16:20:09

S7.L

Re: install to usb - multiple failures

lmart wrote:

objective: usb install of bl-Helium-4-i386-cd to use on a win laptop

1. downloaded bl-Helium-4-i386-cd, verified checksum, wrote to cd
2. slected Text based install from boot menu
3. followed all default prompts to write to a single 16gb usb and, 32gb usb
4. selected option to boot from usb rather than modify hdd mbr (cannot change win laptop!)
5. hangs on boot

what are troubleshooting options?
if anything unclear, please let me know. thank you.

What are you installing to? The laptop Hard Drive or the USB ?

#3 2019-01-04 20:50:22

lmart

thanks for your question S7.L

trying to install bl-Helium-4 linux to a single, 32gb usb, which can boot from the laptop

#4 2019-01-05 08:47:47

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Just going to post the way I've taken to creating usb's lately. Still long time fan of dd too but found this puppy and been using it. Does require that you have a working gnu/Linux operating system.

note: Doesn't technically require it, can be done with a live-session too/usb-etc too.

Anyway, lately just been using the simple cp command as follows. Download BL iso ( or whichever), pop open Thunar, then in right click select "Open terminal here", use sudo to copy the iso to whichever your usb drive is.

Note: Used gparted to go ahead and create a new partition table on the thumb drive I use for this, between uses. While in it anyway gparted will have it's name too, in my case sdc or whatever it is. Fiddle with it remove and reinsert. Also tend to rename iso's for convenience sake. Right-click + rename ie: The downloaded iso becomes bl.iso vs that 4inch long name before simplifying it. big_smile

Example cmds:

sudo cp bl.iso /dev/sdc

Let it finish doing so, then

sync

That's it in a nutshell, just did the above to create a BL usb here. Already have a BL Os installed on the system, so didn't install from that new usb though. Sure it'll work fine.

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2019-01-05 08:48:44)

#5 2019-01-05 11:03:41

S7.L

lmart wrote:

thanks for your question S7.L

trying to install bl-Helium-4 linux to a single, 32gb usb, which can boot from the laptop

So you want a full install to the usb stick right? one that has a new user (yourself). Not a live usb so you can install to the laptop or whatever else?

Sounds like you want a live usb with persistence.

Quick search of forum and found this: https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=4864

or if it just a live usb stick with no persistence, i use dd command as per below. I always wipe the filesystem first though, so two steps...

X denotes drive label, should be a b or c and so on depending on how many drives you have hooked in, a is usually always your main hard disk, dont wipe that!. use lsblk command to see your devices.

# wipefs --all /dev/sdX

# dd bs=4M if=/path/to/bunsenlabs.iso of=/dev/sdX status=progress oflag=sync

Last edited by S7.L (2019-01-05 11:05:17)

#6 2019-01-05 12:02:01

ohnonot
...again
Website

S7.L wrote:

Sounds like you want a live usb with persistence.

it is also possible to treat the USB as a normal hard drive and install to that.
with usb 2.0 this was too slow, hence the live/persistence workaround.
but some people say it's fast enough on usb 3.0.

anyhow, there are some pitfalls with the final bootloader installation. manual intervention might be necessary. beyond that there's no reason why such an install should behave differently.

#7 2019-01-05 12:34:30

S7.L

^ Yes archlinux has a decent page on what should be done.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/In … _a_USB_key

I did that awhile ago now and worked ok. I prefer the live persistence though as i dont think it is as harsh on the medium than a full install with say ext4.

f2fs is probably the better filesystem to use.

#8 2019-01-05 14:39:39

lmart

BLizgreat!  Thank you for your reply. Will try your recommendations.
S7.L  Thank you for staying with me. Yes, I want a full install to a usb drive, not just live usb with persistence. Thanks for link
ohnonot Thank you for replying. Apparently, the issue is the boot loader. However, I have no idea how to correct it manually. "manual intervention might be necessary. beyond that there's no reason why such an install should behave differently." Install from the LiveCD (text mode) just doesn't work.

#9 2019-01-05 14:45:25

lmart

S7.L

Many thanks for staying with me. Will check out the link.
"I prefer the live persistence though as i dont think it is as harsh on the medium than a full install with say ext4. f2fs is probably the better filesystem to use."

OK, question. Assume I go your route with persistence, my personal data will be saved, but will I be able to update the actual linux system?

For example,

sudo apt-get update        # Fetches the list of available updates
sudo apt-get upgrade       # Strictly upgrades the current packages
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade  # Installs updates (new ones)

#10 2019-01-05 15:52:02

S7.L

^ You may be able to update the package base but not kernel modules ive read, you can keep it up to date but it would most likely be limited, i would lean towards security updates only on a live usb with persistence. Maybe the full install might be a better option if you intend to use the usb regularly.

Last edited by S7.L (2019-01-05 15:53:43)

#11 2019-01-05 22:11:50

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

There's very good info on configuring bootloaders on both the Arch wiki & in the Gentoo install handbook, last time I did an install directly *to* a usb stick, I used the method outlined here to install the base Debian system from running bunsen live from optical media, then applied the bunsen netinstall script.

That page is somewhat dated, and basically the instructions are only good for a BIOS based system, they don't cover EFI bootloaders, I've also done it using the Debian installer (which BL uses) I had no issues at all.

The big gotcha if you install from a live instance, especially one also on USB, is making sure the bootloader not only goes on the right stick, but also that the USB may be detected as a different device when you try to boot it (/dev/sdb instead of /dev/sdb for instance) so make sure /etc/fstab and the bootloader are using UUIDs rather than /dev/sdX style entries.

There's also a fairly foolproof method:
Remove hard drive from laptop (they usually have a hatch for easy removal, tiny phillips screws)
Install from CD/DVD (external ones work, they're pretty cheap these days, if machine has no optical drive)
have only one usb stick plugged in

That removes the chances of the installer or the user making any error and there's no way at all to trash the Windows install.

The installer will see everything just like the usb was an internal drive, grub installs using uuids & the debian installer uses uuids in fstab, so you should be all set

Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed...
If there's an obscure or silly way to break it, but you don't know what.. Just ask me

#12 2019-01-06 02:51:23

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Dang it OP, do be very careful, that you are currently in the directory that contains the iso you want to copy and of course that you copy it to the right location of course. I like this method anyway. smile

#13 2019-01-06 12:57:14

lmart

Bearded_Blunder :: thanks for replying. working my way through Arch info, unaware of Gentoo until your mention, reviewing your mention (D.3. Installing Debian GNU/Linux from a Unix/Linux System)

#14 2019-01-06 12:59:09

lmart

thanks for your reply

BLizgreat! wrote:

Dang it OP, do be very careful, that you are currently in the directory that contains the iso you want to copy and of course that you copy it to the right location of course. I like this method anyway. smile

which method did you like?

#15 2019-01-07 16:04:10

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Lately been using the cp (copy command.) to copy an .iso onto a usb drive.

Board footer