You are not logged in.

#1 2015-11-05 01:25:09

Hauffi

What are you working on right now?

A thread to discuss small or large side projects you've started or that are already in development.

Last edited by Hauffi (2015-11-05 01:32:01)

Feel free to contact me through XMPP and Email. | Github.

#2 2015-11-05 02:08:58

Horizon_Brave
Operating System: Linux-Nettrix

Re: What are you working on right now?

Two things are taking up my time. Currently I'm studying for my NRS I exam. It's a proprietary certification from my company, that's on par with the Cisco CCENT exam. It has to deal with routing, Switching, Service provider networking, TCP/IP etc...

The second project is just self studying Linux/Unix. It started out as shell scripting practice, but has snow balled as I plunge deeper and deeper... I actually have to draw the line soon as I'm taking on more than I can read and study for... I started by wanting to practice my BASH scripting...and soon got pulled into kernel and system calls lol..

"I have not failed, I have found 10,000 ways that will not work" -Edison

#3 2015-11-05 02:18:22

Frogman

Adding SNMP checks into Cacti. Can I just take a spare rack rail and bash myself in the forehead instead?

Last edited by Frogman (2015-11-05 02:21:52)

#4 2015-11-05 02:34:19

Hauffi

Horizon_Brave wrote:

Two things are taking up my time. Currently I'm studying for my NRS I exam. It's a proprietary certification from my company, that's on par with the Cisco CCENT exam. It has to deal with routing, Switching, Service provider networking, TCP/IP etc...

The second project is just self studying Linux/Unix. It started out as shell scripting practice, but has snow balled as I plunge deeper and deeper... I actually have to draw the line soon as I'm taking on more than I can read and study for... I started by wanting to practice my BASH scripting...and soon got pulled into kernel and system calls lol..

Self studying linux? Nice! I'm practicing kernel patches and such right now. I try to contribute as much as I can to the things I love.

Last edited by Hauffi (2015-11-05 02:34:40)

#5 2015-11-05 02:42:44

Horizon_Brave

Hauffi wrote:

Self studying linux? Nice! I'm practicing kernel patches and such right now. I try to contribute as much as I can to the things I love.

Well I studied and took my Linux+ exam like two years back. And after I got a job as a Jr. Unix admin, I realized how little I knew. It was a pretty harsh slap in the face, so I vowed to really "grok" Linux/Unix. There's just so much I get overwhelmed pretty easy. Which is why I really want to pick apart BunsenLabs and the Debian OS. So if you notice me asking some pretty random questions around the forums, don't get angry!

#6 2015-11-05 06:11:07

nod-a1
Website

Horizon_Brave wrote:
Hauffi wrote:

Well I studied and took my Linux+ exam like two years back. And after I got a job as a Jr. Unix admin, I realized how little I knew. It was a pretty harsh slap in the face, so I vowed to really "grok" Linux/Unix. There's just so much I get overwhelmed pretty easy. Which is why I really want to pick apart BunsenLabs and the Debian OS. So if you notice me asking some pretty random questions around the forums, don't get angry!

Love your spiritual attitude. Hack it into bits and put it back togetther in your own customized spiritual taste.

sharp, clarity, focus, control

#7 2015-11-05 06:17:49

Horizon_Brave

nod-a1 wrote:
Horizon_Brave wrote:
Hauffi wrote:

Love your spiritual attitude. Hack it into bits and put it back togetther in your own customized spiritual taste.

Right on Noda1, and that's how it should be... find something that really interests, but stumps you..and take it apart, and build it back up again..mistakes and all... For my NRS I exam, I already have my CCNA, so this exam *should* be sort of review... but it's a lot harder than I thought...  I'm going back over subnetting, and VLSM, route aggregation etc... I'm trying to alternate days between my Linux self studying and my NRS I exam studying

#8 2015-11-05 06:23:34

nod-a1
Website

Horizon_Brave wrote:
nod-a1 wrote:
Horizon_Brave wrote:

Right on Noda1, and that's how it should be... find something that really interests, but stumps you..and take it apart, and build it back up again..mistakes and all... For my NRS I exam, I already have my CCNA, so this exam *should* be sort of review... but it's a lot harder than I thought...  I'm going back over subnetting, and VLSM, route aggregation etc... I'm trying to alternate days between my Linux self studying and my NRS I exam studying

Living the dubble life of a Linux hacker, spelling the numeric values of the educational system for national gain and hacking it from the underground for the free spiritual binary code, systematicaly connecting into a mesh-network of ones own design.
- Keep up the good work.

sharp, clarity, focus, control

#9 2015-11-05 09:15:56

Temetka

I'm building a brand new network for a client that has to be HIPAA compliant.

So far the quotes are getting close to 250K.

This is going to be fun.

Pure ESXi environment, MS AD, all Dell equipment with their lovel 4 hour on-site warranty. New fiber links between 4 clincs, 1 management building, a colo, and HQ. Proper backups, dual redudant everything. Zyxcorp hardware encryption.

The previous admin built a house of cards. 1 rack. 1 VM server, 1 SOHO QNAP NAS. No fail over. No reducancy. Windows backup. 1 UPS. Some stuff was done OK. Proper VLAN's, but zero reservations in the DHCP scope for things like managed switches, printers, etc. Used GPO to lock down everything. I hate when people do that. So it's getting gutted. All of it. The whole ball of wax. The cabling, the servers, the camera's, everything.

Gone.

This is going to be textbook perfect for mutli-domain Windows AD forest environment.

A part of me wishes this was a UNIX environment, but while I am a damned good network engineer and Windows admin - a project on this scale with a *NIX backend? Yeah no. That's nightmare fuel right there. I have 20 years of experience in my field. I have about the same amount of tinkering around with linux. I would never in my wildest dreams attempt this with a linux backend.

So much nope.

But for the project itself and the technologies we will be deploying. Oh it's going to be glorius. A spire to be viewed from afar. A testament to proper project management. A synergestic blend of skill, team work, buzzwords and invoices.

Bring it on. I got this. smile

The meaning of life is to just be alive. It is so plain and so obvious
    and so simple. And yet everybody rushes aroound in a great panic
             as if it were necessary to achieve something beyond themselves.
                                                                                                             - Alan Watts

#10 2015-11-05 13:57:20

ratcheer

For the umpteenth time in my life, I am working on learning how to use Gnupg, effectively.

Tim

#11 2015-11-05 19:47:02

shadowplay

Started a chess engine in C about 4 months ago....a great way to consume endless hours...currently stuck trying to debug why it won't solve a mate in 3 :-)

still a long way to go!

I'm lucky if i can put in 2 hours a week (kids, work, a life....usual things get in the way).

#12 2015-11-05 20:05:48

Hauffi

shadowplay wrote:

Started a chess engine in C about 4 months ago....a great way to consume endless hours...currently stuck trying to debug why it won't solve a mate in 3 :-)

still a long way to go!

I'm lucky if i can put in 2 hours a week (kids, work, a life....usual things get in the way).

That's C for ya, but it's worth every line of code. Kind of.

#13 2015-11-05 20:08:01

Irulan

ODBC Data access into Hive (Why are Inserts so slow?)
-H

#14 2015-11-05 21:05:55

Horizon_Brave

Temetka wrote:

I'm building a brand new network for a client that has to be HIPAA compliant.

So far the quotes are getting close to 250K.

This is going to be fun.

Pure ESXi environment, MS AD, all Dell equipment with their lovel 4 hour on-site warranty. New fiber links between 4 clincs, 1 management building, a colo, and HQ. Proper backups, dual redudant everything. Zyxcorp hardware encryption.

The previous admin built a house of cards. 1 rack. 1 VM server, 1 SOHO QNAP NAS. No fail over. No reducancy. Windows backup. 1 UPS. Some stuff was done OK. Proper VLAN's, but zero reservations in the DHCP scope for things like managed switches, printers, etc. Used GPO to lock down everything. I hate when people do that. So it's getting gutted. All of it. The whole ball of wax. The cabling, the servers, the camera's, everything.

Gone.

This is going to be textbook perfect for mutli-domain Windows AD forest environment.

A part of me wishes this was a UNIX environment, but while I am a damned good network engineer and Windows admin - a project on this scale with a *NIX backend? Yeah no. That's nightmare fuel right there. I have 20 years of experience in my field. I have about the same amount of tinkering around with linux. I would never in my wildest dreams attempt this with a linux backend.

So much nope.

But for the project itself and the technologies we will be deploying. Oh it's going to be glorius. A spire to be viewed from afar. A testament to proper project management. A synergestic blend of skill, team work, buzzwords and invoices.

Bring it on. I got this. smile

Wow, very impressive!  I really...really hope to get to your level someday.. I'm 1 and a half years in on my professional IT career and I still feel way in above my head..

#15 2015-11-10 01:14:17

KrunchTime

1. Waiting for two days of good, warm weather to apply final coat of paint to exterior iron railing around basement walkup.

2. Recaulking and repainting back of garage near roofline.

3. Keeping leaves from collecting on the lawn for too long.

4. Looking for a job.

Last edited by KrunchTime (2015-11-10 01:14:44)

#16 2015-11-16 20:26:05

g33zr

Revising a short story that I want to submit to a literary journal before Thanksgiving. Also, revising a poem and will start working on another story that's been lurking in my head for a couple of weeks.

What? Me worry?

Red pill or blue pill?

#17 2015-11-16 20:36:59

Horizon_Brave

g33zr wrote:

Revising a short story that I want to submit to a literary journal before Thanksgiving. Also, revising a poem and will start working on another story that's been lurking in my head for a couple of weeks.

A fellow writer! What's the topic of your story? I'm trying to stop being lazy and start putting pen to paper on my next short story as well...I don't think I'd ever submit anything though..

#18 2015-11-17 13:31:19

g33zr

^ The story I submitted is a about an aging electrician who is also a writer, but hides his true identity under a pseudonymn. Spoiler: It ain't about me. It's a story within a story. lol

The other story, the one I'm rewriting, is another story within a story. It's a bout a twice-married, twice-divorced IT guy who lives on a boat and tells a story to Annette, a friend with benefits. This story also ain't about me.  lol

The main thing about writing is to write--every day.  smile

What? Me worry?

Red pill or blue pill?

#19 2015-11-17 15:35:30

Horizon_Brave

g33zr wrote:

^ The story I submitted is a about an aging electrician who is also a writer, but hides his true identity under a pseudonymn. Spoiler: It ain't about me. It's a story within a story. lol

The other story, the one I'm rewriting, is another story within a story. It's a bout a twice-married, twice-divorced IT guy who lives on a boat and tells a story to Annette, a friend with benefits. This story also ain't about me.  lol

The main thing about writing is to write--every day.  smile

I'd love to, but first I have to invent a way to stuff more hours into a day... neutral

#20 2015-11-17 15:40:50

twoion
ほやほや

Side projects, I hear?

forecast is being rewritten, getting a whole new underlying data structure and going to feature a weather data FUSE-type file system which makes weather data available to every program reading files -- a weather conky for example , or a weather station, or a relais closing your garage door. Implying: there will be a monitoring system, and also a new ncurses 'weather panel' showing neat graphical representations of weather conditions. Published when it's ready (probably in early 2016). My favourite site project.

I'm also making a tool named 'dmenu-declare' which is a simple utility taking menu definitions like this:

exit =
( ( "Hibernate",    "systemctl",            "hibernate"         ),
  ( "Lock",         "xscreensaver-command", "-lock"             ),
  ( "Power off",    "systemctl",            "poweroff"          ),
  ( "Reboot",       "systemctl",            "reboot"            ),
  ( "Suspend",      "systemctl",            "suspend"           )
);

utilities =
(
  ( "Color picker", "kdialog",              "--color"           ),
  ( "redshift",     "systemd-toggle",       "redshift.service"  )
);

and and launching a (configurable) dmenu instance populated with the selected set of items. I've played with .INI-style and .YAML-style configuration files as well as a simple mini configuration language for which I wrote a parser using bison and flex (couldn't resist the learning opportunity). Partial equivalent in that format:

# UTF-8
# Lines are read until the first unquoted newline character
# Words are separated by unquoted whitespace
# New menus are introduced using a single dot
.exit
Hibernate   systemctl            hibernate
Lock        xscreensaver-command -lock
"Power off" systemctl            poweroff
Reboot      systemctl            reboot
Suspend     systemctl            suspend
."Random menu"
foo bar baz

Which one do you like better?

Then I have a 1-month backlog of keeping up with mpv-legacy-af because some daft fellows think they need to remove well-working functionality from software without providing a reasonably usable alternative. Well, I'm free in using my own stuff smile Revert 2 whole commits in that project and you have your hands full whenever there are changes to the audio stack sad

Last edited by twoion (2015-11-17 15:42:03)

The show must go on.

#21 2015-11-17 16:03:43

damo
....moderator....

Well I decided to have a break from scripting and play with themes and icons, so I got the Paper icons, and decided I didn't like the default folder colour, so I ended up scripting anyway - a batch colorizer to do the whole lot in one go  roll

I've got 4 versions now  angel

Be Excellent to Each Other...

FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#22 2015-11-17 16:13:28

Horizon_Brave

Trying to hammer out errors I'm getting with using the expect commands inside of a bash script... I think I'm screwing up the quoting... too much of a headache for the morning...

#23 2015-11-17 19:33:16

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

twoion wrote:

forecast is being rewritten, getting a whole new underlying data structure and going to feature a weather data FUSE-type file system which makes weather data available to every program reading files -- a weather conky for example , or a weather station, or a relais closing your garage door. Implying: there will be a monitoring system, and also a new ncurses 'weather panel' showing neat graphical representations of weather conditions. Published when it's ready (probably in early 2016). My favourite site project.

Excellent!

That sounds brilliant: I love ncurses smile

Will you push it to the repository when it's ready?
https://pkg.bunsenlabs.org/debian/pool/main/f/forecast/

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#24 2015-11-17 20:57:33

C#Coder4ever
BL Keyboard Troll

Working on a truth table to equation scanner, I started it before this semester started but things got busy really fast! Now I'll finally have time to work on it!

Peripheral, SBC, and router addict lmao
Keeb & SSD Discussions | GitLab

#25 2015-11-17 21:55:54

pvsage
Internal Affairs

Finally got around to sealing some 12V LED light strips in some tubing last weekend; got them tied to my bike fork and luggage rack for better visibility (as in visible to motorists).  Definitely bright enough with a 9V PP3 battery; will eventually be powered by a 9.6V battery of 8 AA NiMH cells.  Pics tomorrow.

Be excellent to each other, and...party on, dudes!
BunsenLabs Forum Rules
Tending and defending the Flame since 2009

Board footer