You are not logged in.

#1 2018-11-16 18:00:01

cherkie

Browser video playback freezes completely since removing GPU

---Mod moved topic--

Hi there,

I am running BL on my work computer in as a VM guest on W10 host. I have started running into problems when playing videos in browsers (cannot comment on sound as I don't have speakers anyway) since I have removed the GPU (it was GTX 750Ti).

Currently running on integrated GPU from my i7-6700 - Intel HD Graphics 530.

The playback is okay-ish when using VLC, does not work at all when playing vids in browsers.

It was working before I removed the GPU so I guess this is the culprit, however I am unable to search for the place that I need to make changes in BL.

VM settings: 6GB ram, 128mb graphic mem, 2 screens, 2 cpu cores.

albert@albertbl:~$ lspci -knn | grep -iA2 vga
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: InnoTek Systemberatung GmbH VirtualBox Graphics Adapter [80ee:beef]
	Kernel driver in use: vboxvideo
	Kernel modules: vboxvideo
albert@albertbl:~$ glxinfo | grep render
direct rendering: Yes
OpenGL renderer string: Chromium
albert@albertbl:~$ 

and my whole lspci

albert@albertbl:~$ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 440FX - 82441FX PMC [Natoma] (rev 02)
00:01.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82371SB PIIX3 ISA [Natoma/Triton II]
00:01.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 IDE (rev 01)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: InnoTek Systemberatung GmbH VirtualBox Graphics Adapter
00:03.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82540EM Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 02)
00:04.0 System peripheral: InnoTek Systemberatung GmbH VirtualBox Guest Service
00:05.0 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801AA AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 01)
00:06.0 USB controller: Apple Inc. KeyLargo/Intrepid USB
00:07.0 Bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ACPI (rev 08)
albert@albertbl:~$ 

Thanks.

Last edited by damo (2018-11-16 21:00:16)

#2 2018-11-16 20:31:24

ohnonot
...again
Website

Re: Browser video playback freezes completely since removing GPU

well your vm uses virtualised hardware; your problem is probably windows + virtualbox (for windows) related.

#3 2018-11-17 03:32:28

DeepDayze

VB only emulates hardware and usually not so great though. As your machine is a work machine you obviously could not install dual boot on it.

Real Men Use Linux

#4 2018-11-17 23:11:28

cherkie

Well I could as I'm a system admin at that place - the only hurdle is encryption. But then I quit in 6 months or so so figured it's not worth it.

Any other reason why I was able to play videos without any issues on vm bl before and now I cannot? Thanks

#5 2018-11-17 23:50:11

twoion
ほやほや

cherkie wrote:

Well I could as I'm a system admin at that place - the only hurdle is encryption. But then I quit in 6 months or so so figured it's not worth it.

Any other reason why I was able to play videos without any issues on vm bl before and now I cannot? Thanks

Assuming that the graphics card presented to Linux didn't change (vboxvideo) the likely lies on the Windows side?

I can imagine two different cases:

a. Intel is notorious for not implementing certain OpenGL extensions. Assuming VirtualBox on Windows relies on certain OpenGL extensions for properly accelerating 2D and 3D video and the Intel Windows driver does either not implement or the graphics hardware doesn't support these, playback is either partially or fully unaccelerated and therefore slow. Ideally, VirtualBox would use something like Glamour on Linux which is that both 2D and 3D graphics are drawn using OpenGL.

b. The VirtualBox graphics stack was slow to begin with and it is just so that it sucks so much. The discrete graphics card is at least twice as fast as the Intel GPU (e.g. https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/N … 7vsm33102) and was able to compensate using sheer computing power.

To nail things down, since I have no knowledge about Linux VKM guests on Windows hosts, my suggestion would be to put the discrete graphics card back in and then run a comprehensive graphics benchmark on the Linux VM, then remove it again, rerun the benchmark and compare the results.

If that's too much work, I can only recommend trying VMware Workstation (Pro) because when I ran a Linux VM under OSX for years at work, VirtualBox was simply the worst product available and full of bugs. VMWare generally has the better product in this area. Just order the software through your company…

My last suggestion is that IF you want good performance under Linux, put the discrete card back in, use the intgrated Intel CPU for Windows and completely pass through the discrete card to Linux, and use the card directly using Linux hardware drivers.

Im grünen Wald, dort wo die Drossel singt…

Board footer