You are not logged in.

#1 2015-11-04 03:54:57

Hauffi

Ringing noise?

So, ever since I've been distrohopping, I've noticed a ringing noise in my headphones, among every distro, but my dualbooted windows doesn't emit this noise to the headphones. What could the issue be? Oh, the headphones are "Beats Solo HD" (it was a gift from a family member, my Sennheiser's recently broke and I had to fall back on these.)

More explanation to the issue. When listening to audio like on youtube, it seems to cut out or fade away into the background of the sound. It's very weird and annoying.

Last edited by Hauffi (2015-11-04 03:57:22)

Feel free to contact me through XMPP and Email. | Github.

#2 2015-11-04 03:58:17

nod-a1
Website

Re: Ringing noise?

Are you using AUX? In that case its a analog connection and electrical currents from your computer may pollute your audio. Nothing dangerous but could certainly be annoying. Certain audio cards have different types of resistors to filter sound pollution, yours may be of a older model?

sharp, clarity, focus, control

#3 2015-11-04 03:59:05

Hauffi

nod-a1 wrote:

Are you using AUX? In that case its a analog connection and electrical currents from your computer may pollute your audio. Nothing dangerous but could certainly be annoying. Certain audio cards have different types of resistors to filter sound pollution, yours may be of a older model?

Wouldn't this affect my headphones on Windows then? Also, wouldn't my old headphones have this pollution too?

Last edited by Hauffi (2015-11-04 04:01:51)

#4 2015-11-04 04:03:57

nod-a1
Website

It don't have to since windows is a association of Facist micro-software Professionals - they keep their code clean and locked-up from the user.
Debian is a Collaboration of Anarchists who back-stab each-other like maniaks and the code is not always clean.

So, yes Microsoft is known to keep their stuff excellent whit laser precision and preventing the user from developing the software themself.

Your problem will only be solved if some-one spend enough time on fine-tuning the communication between the kernel and the audio-card you are using.

Last edited by nod-a1 (2015-11-04 04:04:47)

#5 2015-11-04 04:06:44

Hauffi

nod-a1 wrote:

It don't have to since windows is a association of Facist micro-software Professionals - they keep their code clean and locked-up from the user.
Debian is a Collaboration of Anarchists who back-stab each-other like maniaks and the code is not always clean.

So, yes Microsoft is known to keep their stuff excellent whit laser precision and preventing the user from developing the software themself.

Your problem will only be solved if some-one spend enough time on fine-tuning the communication between the kernel and the audio-card you are using.

Huh, I guess I'll find an new pair of headphones.

#6 2015-11-04 04:09:21

nod-a1
Website

It certainly sounds like your headphones recieves to much electricity when you run on debian. You did not have this problem with your other headphones?

Last edited by nod-a1 (2015-11-04 04:09:32)

#7 2015-11-04 04:10:41

Hauffi

nod-a1 wrote:

It certainly sounds like your headphones recieves to much electricity when you run on debian. You did not have this problem with your other headphones?

Yeah, my last pair were perfectly fine, same with my cheap $5 headphones that I have, but are horrible quality and painful to wear.

Also, this is not a Debian specific issue. This happened to me on Arch (Antergos), and Debian.

Last edited by Hauffi (2015-11-04 04:18:33)

#8 2015-11-04 07:21:17

nod-a1
Website

I understand, still interesting that you bring up the point regarding hardware - software - hardware interaction. Sometimes the software code we are using is simply not fine-tuned for specific hard-ware. I acctually have the same experience on several machines, on my current machine I have a weak white-noise in the background, I don't have this problem on my smartphone since it have a lower current and the phone don't supply power when that function is not in operation, but I still get a "killing sound" when I remove the plug.

I run with skullcandy ear-plugs which have a good relationship to me and my hardware.

#9 2015-11-04 07:55:41

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Try this:

amixer -c0 set "Mic Boost" 0

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#10 2015-11-04 14:37:02

Hauffi

Yeah, I assume these headphones are the main issue. I guess I'll deal with the annoyance for now. Also, that command didn't stop the ringing.

Board footer