You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-13 00:39:02

kearneyman

What to look for in new computer

OK. So, I've been using Bunsen Labs in a VM for a while.

I love it! Wouldn't change it for anything.

Now, I'd like to get a laptop. Specifically this one: SAMSUNG Notebook 9 - NP900X5J-K01US

Now, I'd like to replace the HDD and install Bunsen Labs on it as the only OS (no dual booting)

What do I need to look for to see if this laptop supports Bunsen Labs, like, what WiFi adapters are supported? What Bluetooth adapters are supported?

I'm not concerned about battery life. If sleep doesn't work, it's OK. I'd like the trackpad and keyboard to work (I know, I know, I'm asking for a lot here)

It's basically a development laptop for PHP/NodeJS/MariaDB/React.

I'd like to connect an external 4K monitor to it as well.

Thanks

#2 2018-10-13 06:03:53

ohnonot
...again
Website

Re: What to look for in new computer

cnet have a nice review & specs for this machine.
looks like all intel, except for this:

Multi-GPU Configuration
1 single GPU card / integrated GPU
Graphics Processor
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 940MX / Intel HD Graphics 620

not sure how to understand it; maybe it means there's 2 sub-models with either a nvidia or intel gpu.

basically you can't go wrong with all-intel and linux.

the age of the laptop seems suitable for linux (slightly matured), but i'm not so sure about debian stable. the release date of the distro should be significantly later (actually the freeze date is the crucial date here, but i cannot find any info on that quickly) than the release of the machine in question.

#3 2018-10-13 14:41:45

tynman

The model in the cnet review noted above is a different model. The model referenced in the OP does not have the dual graphics, only the Intel 620 which should work fine.

The newer the computer you look at, the less likely you will be able to find a review to confirm Linux works on it (trackpad, wi-fi, bluetooth, etc).

(To me, the i7 processor makes it sound pretty new - the newest computer I have runs an i3 processor smile )

#4 2018-10-13 21:49:53

kearneyman

Thanks for the replies!

Because the laptop lacks an Ethernet port, my only concern was downloading drivers if Wi-Fi doesn’t work.

But, it sounds like I’ll be OK

#5 2018-10-14 09:30:31

ohnonot
...again
Website

kearneyman wrote:

Because the laptop lacks an Ethernet port, my only concern was downloading drivers if Wi-Fi doesn’t work.

most of us went through this at some point.
it's tricky, but only once, during installation. then it's done.

Board footer