You are not logged in.

#1 2015-11-03 17:01:02

hhh
Meep!
Website

Installing Hydrogen RC1 as of Nov. 3, '15

I've done a fresh install of BunsenLabs Hydrogen RC1 i386 and want to document the experience, as we're gearing up for the next flurry of development activity. This might be a good thread to direct new users to as it might explain some current issues.

Live Session
If you're testing BunsenLabs using the Live session and you log out, you can log back in with Username user and Password live

Installation
@damo has posted an excellent walkthrough (with screenshots!) of the installation process at the #! forums which I've copied and stickied in Basic Help & Support...
https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=518

Probably the biggest mistake we've seen so far with the installer is people opt out of using a Network Mirror. Use a Network Mirror, otherwise you will have no usable sources in /etc/apt/sources.list!

Accept the default "Use a Network Mirror", otherwise your sources.list will have no Debian Stable main source

First Boot
If you've done everything as recommended, first boot will bring you to our Log In Screen (lightdm-gtk-greeter). Entering the Username and Password you chose during installation will bring you to the desktop and the bunsen-welcome script (bl-welcome) running in a terminal.

That's the part that everyone should be familiar with, the following posts are what I've experienced today and issues I'll run into in the following days.

#2 2015-11-03 17:09:39

hhh
Meep!
Website

Re: Installing Hydrogen RC1 as of Nov. 3, '15

OK, so I chose all the default answers to bl-welcome (Enter at every yes/no question, the default answer is capitalized).

When it came to upgrading the system, several Bunsen packages were upgraded as well as several Debian packages, including the kernel and Iceweasel. The package bunsen-welcome was help back.

After the upgrade I ran bl-welcome again, again bunsen-welcome was held back. I then ran...

sudo apt install bunsen-welcome

apt informed me that laptop-detect was being newly installed and bunsen-welcome was being upgraded, so that's why it was held before (it's now dependent on laptop-detect). @johnraff, I'm not sure if you were aware of this or not.

-edit-

Now the system is fully upgraded and running bl-welcome again detects that I'm on a laptop and offers to install xfce4-power-manager from our backports and remove fdpowermon. I chose No as I want to run the default setup for now.

Sorry if this is pedantic, but I'm hoping it will help me and the team for our next release.

Last edited by hhh (2015-11-03 17:13:37)

#3 2015-11-03 17:29:15

hhh
Meep!
Website

Sound
These are known issues.

A configuration change that didn't make it into RC1 was the switch in the volume systray applet, Volti, from using it's own mixer to using pavucontrol. This can be done manually by right-clicking the volume icon>Preferences>Mixer (tab at top)>uncheck Use internal mixer, type in 'pavucontrol' w/out quotes under External mixer and uncheck Run in terminal.

Unfortunately, this does not correct an issue with my hardware where muting sound works but unmuting it doesn't. What happens is that alsa gets unmuted but pulseaudio does not, I have to open pavucontrol, navigate to the Output tab and unmute it there. This is not a BL issue really, but rather an xfce4-volumed/pulseaudio one. The simplest solution for me is to remove pulseaudio with the command...

sudo apt-get purge pulseaudio pavucontrol && sudo apt-get install alsa-base

Logout.

If you have sound issues, view the existing threads in Multimedia & Games or open a new support thread there.

Sorry that this is rehashing a known issue, but it might help someone new to BunsenLabs.

#4 2015-11-03 17:57:35

hhh
Meep!
Website

Iceweasel and Flash
Upgrading your system currently gives you Iceweasel version 38.3.0. We've made no changes to the default settings, so you may want to change Yahoo to something else as the default search engine and install a spellcheck dictionary (right-click in an input field such as replying to a post on these forums>Install Dictionaries, then when it's installed right-click an input field again>Check Spelling).

Flash is the bane of the Internet, but it is still found everywhere and, gosh darnit, I want to view that content. flashplugin-nonfree just does not get updated quickly enough to cover the security holes that Adobe is aware of, and I constantly get blocked content and messages about Flash being outdated.

I find it best to remove flashplugin-nonfree and just go to the source, but I don't want to bog this thread down with Flash as I'm doing a good enough job of that with my verbosity. Open a support thread in Multimedia & Games if you want help with Flash.

#5 2015-11-03 21:52:37

pvsage
Internal Affairs

hhh wrote:

After the upgrade I ran bl-welcome again, again bunsen-welcome was held back. I then ran...

sudo apt install bunsen-welcome

apt informed me that laptop-detect was being newly installed and bunsen-welcome was being upgraded, so that's why it was held before (it's now dependent on laptop-detect). @johnraff, I'm not sure if you were aware of this or not.

Isn't laptop-detect what the new version of the script uses to check if it can remove fdpowermon on desktop machines?

Last edited by pvsage (2015-11-03 21:54:35)

Be excellent to each other, and...party on, dudes!
BunsenLabs Forum Rules
Tending and defending the Flame since 2009

#6 2015-11-03 22:34:06

hhh
Meep!
Website

hhh wrote:

Now the system is fully upgraded and running bl-welcome again detects that I'm on a laptop and offers to install xfce4-power-manager from our backports and remove fdpowermon.

So... yes! I told you my verbosity was bogging this down enough already.  lol

Board footer