You are not logged in.

#51 2018-09-25 18:33:06

ohnonot
...again
Website

Re: Linus is sorry for being a jerk.

johnraff wrote:

I don't think it's cool to sneer at people who are trying to make a better world, but there's nothing better about a world where people are attacked for their supposed thoughts.

well said.
may i add this one to our quotes collection, with your handle in front?

#52 2018-09-26 00:17:59

hhh
That's easy!
Website

@johnraff, thanks for the Birthday wishes! big_smile Things are going OK, I'm content for the moment. Bills are paid, my room is comfortable, I have delicious chicken wings next to for when I'm hungry, the bicycle is in great condition if I need to go somewhere or just relax, exercise and clear my head.

#53 2018-09-26 01:00:42

DeepDayze

hhh wrote:

@johnraff, thanks for the Birthday wishes! big_smile Things are going OK, I'm content for the moment. Bills are paid, my room is comfortable, I have delicious chicken wings next to for when I'm hungry, the bicycle is in great condition if I need to go somewhere or just relax, exercise and clear my head.

Oh happy b-day Triple H! Sounds like you are really content as a cat haha.

Real Men Use Linux

#54 2018-09-26 03:34:11

johnraff
nullglob
Website

@ohnonot of course. This is a public arena after all.

@hhh "bills are paid" is definitely a plus, like Mr Micawber's:

Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result misery.

Our household also working towards that happy state...

(In Dickens' days one pound was 20 shillings, 1 shilling = 12 pence, so "nineteen pounds nineteen and six" means  £19 19s 6d.  In my youth too.)

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#55 2018-09-26 08:33:15

Jimbo_G

^ Although I'm hoping people are making a bit more than Mr Micawber... 20 pounds per year doesn't sound like a lot, and it wasn't, even for Dickens' time - you can multiply by 70 or 80 to get an equivalence to today's buying power.

Jane Eyre made 30 pounds a year as a governess in the same time period, and Pip in Great Expectations had a huge income of 500 pounds per year.

I feel like I've gone slightly off topic...

#56 2018-09-26 21:30:51

hhh
That's easy!
Website

Jimbo_G wrote:

I feel like I've gone slightly off topic...

Forum header checks out. smile

#57 2018-09-27 02:00:12

GutsAndGlory!
Website

Everyone wrote:

This whole thread

I'm not reading none of that, too long; didn't read.
I've read on 4chan's /g/ that Linus' e-mail might be forged as there are a few places where instead of ASCII quotes, "smart" UNICODE quotes are used, which imply the use of a word processor, and on that thread, they were discussing how he might have been persuaded or threatened to write the message by analyzing sentences. Plus, I've also seen a headline from '15 or '16 I believe? Where Torvalds said he was being personally targeted.

hiroyuki wrote:

The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

I agree with this warning on select boards but I can't see how Linus would do it without external influence on him, not to mention he was also asked by the NSA to install a backdoor, and the systemd conspiracy and others, and these things that I saw really makes me think, and I want out of this - it's got too many things to be wary of and I can't have a level mind actively trying to ignore these things.

I wish I could keep using the amazing work that is Debian but I'm a man of values, I'll be jumping ship to NetBSD for now.

Last edited by GutsAndGlory! (2018-09-27 03:49:08)

The world won't change for the better unless we trust people. Trust is vital in a peaceful world but that will never happen.

« Yo buddy, still alive? »

#58 2018-09-27 05:23:16

ohnonot
...again
Website

in some respect i agree:

Let us not forget that the followers of Ehmke's politics do not wield any actual power just yet.
But they sure behave like they would want to.

And that is what I want to petition against.
That is what I do not want in the Linux kernel, or in fact any FOSS project.
Becasue using that particular CoC is a step in that direction.

Board footer